MSC Magnifica picture heavy fun review -- 12 days British Isles incl. DIY port trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

15162298037_392fa25d0d_b.jpg

15162115970_1717a05203_b.jpg

15348803795_024a895a42_b.jpg

15325767996_c04d4e78dc_b.jpg

lol -- I really can't comment on any of the above pictures, since I never tried either one...you'll have to take a chance and explore the quality for yourselves.

Well, that's all I've got to report on the buffet restaurant. If you have any questions -- go ahead.

Mhhh, the ship...did I forget anything? Oh, the tips. MSC takes off 6 Euros per day per person for general tips. One more Euro per day and person will be taken as a donation to Unicef...You can cancel either one if you want. But to cancel tips is a really harsh cut into peoples lives and I would never do that unless something really
really
grave has happened.

The Unicef donation however bugged me because its MSC donating afterall. If you donate money I believe it should be your own money...not other people's money. We wanted to cancel it, since we'd like to decide individually who and how much we donate to (in OUR name)

aehm -- but because of extraordinary circumstances in Dublin, we decided MSC has more than deserved the right to donate our money in their name as well -- for this cruise anyway.

and now I hereby finish the review of our first MSC ship.

We loved it! It's different -- yes -- but we thought the differences to be quite charming. On board it didn't feel like being at home, it felt like experiencing a trip around the world without leaving the ship. For us, this was very exciting and we'd book MSC again and again and again etc.

I've read somewhere that people either love or hate MSC. I now think that's true. You'll just have to find out which category you belong to.

I hope you enjoyed this little review of the ship and I'll wait a couple of days to see if there are any further questions regarding the ship...On monday then we'll start with the daily section. Hope that many of you will stay here to keep on reading about the ports but to all others thank you for stopping by and may you have many more wonderful cruises!

15348482172_e0ca288b58_b.jpg

Stef

You're seriously reading this voluntarily at 6 A M ??? Crazy woman:rolleyes:!

lol -- and I'm making myself hungry too as I dream about that pizza now.

Ha, trust me, Stef - your review is much more enjoyable than the things I could be (and probably should be) reading on my commute !

This "Dublin incident" is really piquing my interest now...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ha, trust me, Stef - your review is much more enjoyable than the things I could be (and probably should be) reading on my commute !

This "Dublin incident" is really piquing my interest now...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've been wondering about Dublin too....might have to do an internet search of the news media....At least we know none of our three heroes are now sitting in a Dublin jail!

Can't wait for more!

Denise

windjamming and denisey,

lol -- don't worry -- I guess I'm exagerating (maybe)...no illegal actions involved...no one got harmed (well -- not seriously anyway)... it was quite an adventure and I wish I could tell you right away....but that would really spoil the fun. So don't worry...I don't think we're banned from Ireland or MSC and it all turned out okay with (plenty) of laughs afterwards....please be patient. Yes, it's shocking but also a fun story (with a happy end:rolleyes:).

Please excuse if I'm being cruel, but it really is worth the wait!

Stef

Step

Sounds like another adventure but not a scary one like loosing Tarik on your Serenade cruise. I doubt if anything could be as frightening as that day was for you.

I love reading about your port adventures, especially the oops we made a wrong turn and here is how to avoid them reports. I know that others, myself included will benefit from your wonderful directions.

Have a great weekend and I look forward to reading more about your family vacation.

windjamming and denisey,

lol -- don't worry -- I guess I'm exagerating (maybe)...no illegal actions involved...no one got harmed (well -- not seriously anyway)... it was quite an adventure and I wish I could tell you right away....but that would really spoil the fun. So don't worry...I don't think we're banned from Ireland or MSC and it all turned out okay with (plenty) of laughs afterwards....please be patient. Yes, it's shocking but also a fun story (with a happy end:rolleyes:).

Please excuse if I'm being cruel, but it really is worth the wait!

Stef

WHAAAAAATTTTTTTT , I can't stand it, I can't possibly wait for another week or two or more to find out just if that was you that I heard about in the news....:eek:

So i've just caught up with the last few days and obviously i'm off to order a pizza :D

Hi Stef,

continuing to love the photographs ,but must say that I struggled to identify some of the food :eek:,good job my sister speaks (and can read) Italian or we would be in a right pickle!!

Is it wishful thinking to ask if they have smoked salmon for breakfast :). Also do they serve porriage/oatmeal.

Other than being served by waiters,why did you prefer to eat breakfast in the dining room-was the food nicer. What were the evening meals like?.

Enough questions about food .

Now--what on earth did you get up to in Dublin. I will have to wait untill I get back from my cruise before I can find out!! I have a friend who lives in Dublin,maybe I will telephone her and ask if there has been any International Incidents involving passsengers from MSC :D:D.

Cheers.

Di

Thanks for the pictures

Since we live in Mallorca I have a rather distorted vision of whether Sauerkraut and Bratwurst are only found in Germany, but I'd say is a rather popular meal Europe-wide nowadays.

You can see it in many places in here.Same goes for Frikadellen, currywurst, Kartoffelsalat, weird dark breads with many seeds on them :D, Prätzels, austrian Schnitzel, usw.

Hi Steff, really enjoying your review. I would be the one eating the bratwurst or curry wurst given the option. I have lived in Germany for a few years on and off my dad was in the army and I was born in Hanover.I love Germany and miss the food although you can get much of it in the Uk now.On on trip to Berlin last year for the Christmas markets I must have gained at least 4 kg.Also love ice cream with hot cherries or raspberries.I last lived in Germany as an adult without my family in Gutersloh not the most prettiest of German towns !

Nicola

Hi stef, loving your review, it must have taken you ages to compile!

We board the Magnifica on Wednesday so these pictures are getting me excited :D

Just wondered if you can confirm there is only one speciality restaurant? You mentioned the oriental one but I thought there was another one too? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Can't wait for your next instalment :D

Is it wishful thinking to ask if they have smoked salmon for breakfast :). Also do they serve porriage/oatmeal.

Other than being served by waiters,why did you prefer to eat breakfast in the dining room-was the food nicer. What were the evening meals like?.

Cheers.

Di

Hi DI,

Sorry, no salmon, porridge or oatmeal in the buffet restaurant. They did have salmon to order in the MDR though.

We only had breakfast in the MDR twice. Once we were seated next to a grumpy French couple who didn't want to communicate (neither amongst themselves, not with us) and once we had our one and only REALLY awful "grumpy waiter" situation...but I'll tell you more about that on that day. Anyway, after those two experiences, we decided to have breakfast in the buffet from then on.

The evening meals were just such a nice (and looong) experience in the MDR - great table mates, wonderful waiter and good enough food that we didn't want to miss out on it for the buffet. The actual food pics will be shown for each cruise day together with that days menu. So just a little more patience for the dinner pics.

Stef

Hi Steff, really enjoying your review. I would be the one eating the bratwurst or curry wurst given the option. I have lived in Germany for a few years on and off my dad was in the army and I was born in Hanover.I love Germany and miss the food although you can get much of it in the Uk now.On on trip to Berlin last year for the Christmas markets I must have gained at least 4 kg.Also love ice cream with hot cherries or raspberries.I last lived in Germany as an adult without my family in Gutersloh not the most prettiest of German towns !

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Christmasmarkets rock! That's one thing I LOVE about Germany. Mh, you're right. Güterloh wouldn't really excite me either. Glad you're enjoying the review!

Stef

weird dark breads with many seeds on them :D

Elmartellama,

lol -- that cracked me up...we have that for dinner each and every evening. Couldn't live without it:). But I surely could live without Bratwurst and such. Frikadellen with Kartoffelsalat? --if my dad makes them -- they're just to die for.

:DNow I'm hungry.

Stef

:)Let's get started with the daily section, so maybe we manage to get to an actual port visit sometime this week:rolleyes:. The structure will be like this:

1. dailies

2. cocktails

3. events (either ship or port)

4. dinner food and menu pictures

5. Show

any objections?

Stef

Hi stef, did you have any of the drinks packages? We have pre booked the Allegrissimo but last year we didn't have to use vouchers, it was printed on our cruise card. Do you know if this is still the same as the daily planner says to collect any drinks package vouchers from reception.

Can't believe first sitting for dinner was 5.30! That's so early, normally we are used to 6.30 for dinner!

Looking forward to your next instalment :D

Hi stef, did you have any of the drinks packages? We have pre booked the Allegrissimo but last year we didn't have to use vouchers, it was printed on our cruise card. Do you know if this is still the same as the daily planner says to collect any drinks package vouchers from reception.

Can't believe first sitting for dinner was 5.30! That's so early, normally we are used to 6.30 for dinner!

Looking forward to your next instalment :D

aehm, I already wrote quite a bit about the drink package we had (also the Allegrissimo)...just go back and check. No you don't have to pick up vouchers for the Allegrissimo. You just hand the waiter your cruise card, sign each drink receipt and make sure there's a big 0.00 printed at the bottom. The vouchers are only for other drink packages.

Yes, 5:30 was really early. but then again -- we dined more than 2 hours...it would have gotten quite late with the second sitting. I don't sleep well if I'm stuffed....so first seating worked out for us pretty well.

Stef

aehm, I already wrote quite a bit about the drink package we had (also the Allegrissimo)...just go back and check. No you don't have to pick up vouchers for the Allegrissimo. You just hand the waiter your cruise card, sign each drink receipt and make sure there's a big 0.00 printed at the bottom. The vouchers are only for other drink packages.

Yes, 5:30 was really early. but then again -- we dined more than 2 hours...it would have gotten quite late with the second sitting. I don't sleep well if I'm stuffed....so first seating worked out for us pretty well.

Stef

Sorry Stef, I read so much on here that I sometimes lose my marbles! Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I agree second sitting would end up being quite late!