Travel agent versus RSSC direct

sdf89

I enjoy planning all the details and research for our cruises (could I even say that it is over 1/2 the fun icon_eek.gif). Hence,whenever I book cruises, I already know which stateroom, air flights, etc and the TA just follows my instructions.

On our last cruise our TA was nice and processed all the bookings (original plus two upgrades when cabins came available), but I could not help but wonder if I should just book direct in the future.

So: any opinions on booking directly through RSSC versus using own TA? And any opinions on using the "RSSC travel agents" obtained from web site for your home town?

Island Princess 1983

Dawn Princess 1998

Ocean Princess 2002

Enchantment of the Seas 3/04

I was a travel agent for years and always check with my former partner at the agency when booking a cruise. She can never, ever beat the quotes I get from a large on-line, cruise only agency. I have booked with them quite a few times and have helped friends do it too and I believe we have saved more than 5-10% in every case. This agency is good if you know exactly what you want. They communicate only via email but the service is much quicker than any other agent or agency I've used. Please feel free to email me if you want the website since I think it's against the rules to give it out. Email is jlillberto@sbcglobal.net.

Judy

I would not recommend booking a cruise directly with the cruise line. You pay top dollar and get nothing extra for it. In fact, your chances of upgrades and cabin credits are better if you book with an agent.

Unlike airlines and hotels, cruise lines still cultivate their relationships with travel agents whom they see as esssential to selling cabin space.

But since you do all the work, you should get a discount. I've taken two Radisson cruises and have always paid less than the going rate (the one you'll find on the Radisson web site or through Travelocity or Orbitz.)

It's easy to find a travel agent who will discount his or her commission if you know exactly what you want. You should be able to save at least five per cent off the going rate, even more if you can find a large agency that has booked group space. Good luck. Tom.

Archived