Bay of fundy tides

delroom

We are planning to cruise to canada next september(2015) and are very interested is observing the changing tides in the Bay of Fundy. We will be visiting St. John 10AM- 6PM and Halifax from 8AM-5 PM. We would appreciate any info you can offer. Has anyone hired a limo to tour the areas and see the changing tides. I would appreciate any info on that also. I think the St. John stop is close to an observation place, but I think it is a ride to an observation point from Halifax. We are wondering if it would be better to make the drive from Long Island and spend a few days in New Brunswick, in order to observe more. We appreciate any input. Thank you. Delroom

We are planning to cruise to canada next september(2015) and are very interested is observing the changing tides in the Bay of Fundy. We will be visiting St. John 10AM- 6PM and Halifax from 8AM-5 PM. We would appreciate any info you can offer. Has anyone hired a limo to tour the areas and see the changing tides. I would appreciate any info on that also. I think the St. John stop is close to an observation place, but I think it is a ride to an observation point from Halifax. We are wondering if it would be better to make the drive from Long Island and spend a few days in New Brunswick, in order to observe more. We appreciate any input. Thank you. Delroom

Drive from Long Island and go to N.B. or go the extra miles and drive to Truro, Nova Scotia which is where the tidal bore is , really great to see then, while in Halifax go to Peggy's cove and make sure you have the seafood chowder , it is beautiful there,( I am from The Martimes),

Sailorwife:)

The ships rise and fall at the dock is impressive .

The tides where the ship docks are not near the Bay of Fundy, the tides at the dock, like almost everywhere rise and fall like all other tides, in 6 hour cycles. Never noticed a difference in tide levels at the dock, maybe I missed it. Really, to see the Fundy tides, you need to spend at least 12 hours, not possible on a cruise.

Reversing Falls are also offered as an excursion, St. John doesn't offer much, the bus ride to Fundy is about the best part.

The tides where the ship docks are not near the Bay of Fundy, the tides at the dock, like almost everywhere rise and fall like all other tides, in 6 hour cycles. Never noticed a difference in tide levels at the dock, maybe I missed it. Really, to see the Fundy tides, you need to spend at least 12 hours, not possible on a cruise.

Reversing Falls are also offered as an excursion, St. John doesn't offer much, the bus ride to Fundy is about the best part.

Then whey did our ship have black bumper marks two decks high ???

Maybe you should look at a map . The bay is huge encompassing the entire St. John area .

Edited by biker@sea

We took a taxi to watch reversing tides when visiting St John. As I recall, we knew the necessary timing for that day from internet. Our taxi driver was pleasant, though he was mistaken about the timing that day; he thought we'd missed it, but it worked out perfectly.

We live in NB, about 30 minutes from the Hopewell Rocks. From St. John, it is about a 2 hour drive to the Rocks and about 3.5 from Halifax. I don't know that it would be worth it to do an excursion, given the travel distance.

There isn't an awful lot to do in St. John, other than walk around and explore a little. Halifax has more, of course. Maybe visit Peggy's Cove?

The Rocks is best visited for a full day when you can go out on the ocean floor and explore then watch how fast the the tidal bore comes in. It's quite a show!

For a great start to the day, you can walk from the ship all the way along a paved walkway to the Reversing Falls Info Center, where there is plenty of opportunity to take ion the scenery and watch the water your whole way there and back!

Such a great walk, and it gave us a chance to watch the tide change all the way to the reversing falls and back!

It was funny to see fishing boats that were floating when we walked by the first time sitting on rocks 20 feet below us on the way back!

Oh....and it MOST DEFINITELY raised and lowered the cruise ships as they were docked!

We did all that and still had time to walk around, shop and dine in town!

Such an enjoyable visit there! :)

in saint john there will be at least a 20 foot difference in the depth of the water between high tide and low tide, because it IS located in the bay of fundy. farther up in the head of the bay its more like a 40 foot difference, that's a lot of water moving in a six hour period, which is the reason the tidal boar boat rides are so awesome.

in saint john there will be at least a 20 foot difference in the depth of the water between high tide and low tide, because it IS located in the bay of fundy. farther up in the head of the bay its more like a 40 foot difference, that's a lot of water moving in a six hour period, which is the reason the tidal boar boat rides are so awesome.

I agree completely. I have lived in Nova Scotia all my life (I am 46) and to this day the Bay of Fundy tides never cease to amaze me. We, my family, have visited many different locations to watch the tides over the years. Both here in Nova Scotia throughout the Annapolis Valley and New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks and the reversing falls in Saint John. I live inland about half way between Halifax and Truro and about 15 minutes from one of the tidal bore white water rafting locations on the Shubenacadie River (which is amazing by the way). Here is a link to a website that can give you all the info you might want to know about our Bay of Fundy tides and much more.

http://bayoffundytourism.com/

The fifty foot tides are a sight to behold for sure but unless your timing is absolutely correct you might not see all that there is. The tides cycle over a 6 hour 13 minute pattern so you can see what I mean when I refer to timing being everything.

To the OP, there is a link on the site that will direct you to Environment Canada where you can found the tide times for the day you will be be here to see if it would work out timing wise.

As you you may be able to tell, I am a proud Maritimer and like talk about the natural wonders of our region. ;)

I agree completely. I have lived in Nova Scotia all my life (I am 46) and to this day the Bay of Fundy tides never cease to amaze me. We, my family, have visited many different locations to watch the tides over the years. Both here in Nova Scotia throughout the Annapolis Valley and New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks and the reversing falls in Saint John. I live inland about half way between Halifax and Truro and about 15 minutes from one of the tidal bore white water rafting locations on the Shubenacadie River (which is amazing by the way). Here is a link to a website that can give you all the info you might want to know about our Bay of Fundy tides and much more.

http://bayoffundytourism.com/

The fifty foot tides are a sight to behold for sure but unless your timing is absolutely correct you might not see all that there is. The tides cycle over a 6 hour 13 minute pattern so you can see what I mean when I refer to timing being everything.

To the OP, there is a link on the site that will direct you to Environment Canada where you can found the tide times for the day you will be be here to see if it would work out timing wise.

As you you may be able to tell, I am a proud Maritimer and like talk about the natural wonders of our region. ;)

cool im a lobster fisherman from souwest nova scotia. everyday I go to work I have to plan my day around the tides.

Drive from Long Island and go to N.B. or go the extra miles and drive to Truro, Nova Scotia which is where the tidal bore is , really great to see then, while in Halifax go to Peggy's cove and make sure you have the seafood chowder , it is beautiful there,( I am from The Martimes),

Sailorwife:)

You don't need to go to Truro to see the Tidal Bore; it is bigger and better in Moncton which is a lot closer to Saint John.

OP, you won't see much of the changing tides in Halifax as it isn't on the Bay. The are around Saint John will allow you to see teh tides. A better place would be Saint Martins, along the Fundy Trail or take the excursion to the Hopewell Rocks.

The port of Saint John sits directly on the Bay of Fundy and you will notice a difference in the ship if the tides are right.

We live just outside of Saint John. The spot where the ship dock is the Bay of Fundy.The tides do affect the ships that sail into the harbour. I remember once there was a cruise ship in for the day and they did not take into affect the tides and ended up breaking the lines.

Here is a link about the tides for the Bay of Fundy. http://bayoffundytourism.com/tides/

We live in NB, about 30 minutes from the Hopewell Rocks. From St. John, it is about a 2 hour drive to the Rocks and about 3.5 from Halifax. I don't know that it would be worth it to do an excursion, given the travel distance.

There isn't an awful lot to do in St. John, other than walk around and explore a little. Halifax has more, of course. Maybe visit Peggy's Cove?

The Rocks is best visited for a full day when you can go out on the ocean floor and explore then watch how fast the the tidal bore comes in. It's quite a show!

There's lots to do on a stop in Saint John. A visit to the City Market is nice with a walk up through Market Square. Reversing falls, NB Museum, Loyalist House. If its a really nice day, a walk around Lily Lake with a lunch and coffee afterwards at Lily's Cafe. There's plenty of beautiful things to see. You can do an excursion to St Martins to see the caves that are carved out by the high tides plus get the best seafood the Maritimes can offer. An excursion to St Andrews on a nice day would be a very good day as well.

For someone who wants to see the tides as the OP asked, go for a walk along the waterfront. You can walk from the ship, in behind the Hilton and follow the red (well its more pink now actually) walkway and it will take you up to the Reversing Falls bridge if you want to walk that far. You could walk first thing in the morning and take a few pictures then do the same later in the afternoon when the tides will be noticeably different.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

You can look up when the tides will be high/low on google. That is what we did before we left. We rented a car in Saint Johns and drove to St Martins where we saw the low tide and walked out to the sea caves. We then drove through the Bay of Fundy Trail making scenic stops to see the waterfall and walk the foot bridge, etc. On the way back through St Martin it was now high tide were we could see the caves we just walked through covered in water and boats that were sitting on the ground now floating. It was a pretty cool experience.

Edited by Warm Breezes

You can look up when the tides will be high/low on google. That is what we did before we left. We rented a car in Saint Johns and drove to St Martins where we saw the low tide and walked out to the sea caves. We then drove through the Bay of Fundy Trail making scenic stops to see the waterfall and walk the foot bridge, etc. On the way back through St Martin it was now high tide were we could see the caves we just walked through covered in water and boats that were sitting on the ground now floating. It was a pretty cool experience.

Some pictures from our cruise there:

216987_246186478739617_1257313_n.jpg?oh=d957c19f7584ce0ac7530b8cf62705da&oe=545B837F&__gda__=1416388952_c6deb9edbf5e2a81b6103a11d0af19ad

198753_246187165406215_6797293_n.jpg?oh=73972e2c1d909b44e97d69dd6eb763b1&oe=5463F57D

215071_246187918739473_2566548_n.jpg

284145_246188678739397_1692745_n.jpg?oh=eee031777b4b1f17a5962fa71395209a&oe=54669DB1&__gda__=1415790969_a4debb84856985e2b49adcacb5bbff86

253381_246189488739316_6909649_n.jpg?oh=f826a1dc91ae667c37562036956a007a&oe=546563C5&__gda__=1415972587_39e3ae826606f4bad27d9966fa8145ec

We did Boston-Quebec-Boston last September. We arrived late at St. John because of the tides (which baffled me because I would have thought they'd be predictable) and then it took them about 45 minutes to set the exit ramps because they just couldn't get them right. (I felt bad for people with private excursions planned). Not sure if it was new crew or what, but everybody was lined up and ready to go and then we waited, and waited, and waited...

When we returned to the ship just 4-5 hours later it was easy to see how many decks there were between where we had gotten off and where we were getting on.

Let's see if I can post this link.

http://www.tidalborerafting.com

You would need to do this from Halifax, and you would need the schedule to co-operate, but if you can swing it, you'll never forget it. The raft goes down the river just ahead of the inrushing water, waiting for the water to catch up, and give you one wild ride on a zodiac.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, and for the pictures. We're on the Sept. 20th Canada/New England cruise--our 6th time--and never knew there was a walkway from the town to the Reversing Falls.

If anyone else is on this cruise, please check out our Roll Call.