Taku Lodge 5 Glacier float plane with salmon feast worth it compared to others?

Cinderellie

Hello. My husband and I are planning our excursions now for a June 2015 Princess cruise and land tour. Is the excursion Taku Lodge 5 Glacier float plane with salmon feast -- that is $297 per person -- worth the money?

We have read the reviews, watched the video... but how does it compare to other sea planes value-wise? We don't have a problem spending money to be wowed. But if there are other alternatives that give you that wow factor, I would love to hear your experiences. (I design interactive experiences for a living, so for me... it's all about the wow experience.)

It can be a sea plane from ports other than Juneau. Helicopters are out of the question for us.

Thank you, sages!

I went to the Taku lodge this July after a wonderful recommendation from a friend who is in Juneau....The friend that was with me really wanted to go......I didn't...but I went begrudgingly because she really wanted to go....That much money for Salmon when I have 100# in my freezer and I am a darned good cook? I was blown away......It was the BEST Salmon i have tasted...and the ride in the Otter was great...I think it was about 30 minutes each way. You pass through gorgeous glaciers...beautiful mountains...wonderful waterfalls...and the lodge sits smack up in front of the Taku Glacier. There is a short walk...in an old growth forrest and more bear scat that I have ever seen. I understand that if you go later in the day...like afternoon...later, there is a great chance of seeing bears, although we didn't see any. I think it was a good way to spend my money....My friend took his parents there after staying on the glacier where he works during the summer and even he was super impressed....as I was....so this is one person's opinion....I loved it....and I sure didn't expect to even like it...

I agree with above. The best Salmon. We went 3rd week in May. A little rainy, but then the sun came out. Still some snow on the ground. My husband didn't want to go, but went anyway. The flight was really nice. SMOOTH. Great sight seeing. Then we arrived to the lodge. There was a female bear in a tree behind the BBQ. Then a big bear came from out of the woods. The dogs and Stick-men kept him at bay, while we all snapped pictures. They bring in the dogs while we all eat the Salmon feast and the Bears eat the droppings from the BBQ. On our walk to a waterfall, we encountered another bear. Dog to the rescue. Awesome time! One of the best excursions in Alaska. (Our tour started at 12:30 PM which made a difference in bear sightings)

Wanting to book a floatplane excursion to see bears fishing for salmon and not sure which one to settle on. I like the Island Wings one out of Ketchikan but we are only in port from 7 to 1:30. They can get us on at 8:00am flight and back by noon they say, but if any issues could we miss the ship since it is not booked through NCL.

Can anyone give details on the Taku Lodge Feast through NCL and how the bear viewing was. Floatplane ride sounds great, eating salmon is our favorite but we want to see the bears. Going in late August and I know you can not predict sightings but was wanting to know about the bears and their activity at the lodge. Are they just hanging around because of the smoke salmon grilling or can you see them in the streams?

No streams that I saw.....but the Taku river springs from the glacier in front of the lodge....at least I think it does....I would call them and ask what is the chance of seeing bears early in the day....they are an excellent outfit, and they will know the habits of the local bears...

Spoke to them and they were very nice and candid about the tour. The flight looks great, the salmon feast looks delicious however bearing watching and fishing for salmon is not on the tour. They have a token bear(s) come through that lick the grills after the salmon is cooked. Unfortunately not what we were looking for.

Absolutely one the best things we have done. We did the 11:00 am trip and it was wonderful. We only cook salmon using their recipe now. Each time we grill the salmon it brings black great memories of our trip there. The ginger cookies are fantastic as well!

We saw 3 different bears. One was trying to get the salmon pieces off the grill while we were eating; the other 2 made appearances after our nature walk. One "posed " for pictures. He was sitting in front of the tree and then turned to the left and then the right and would look at us like he was posing for us to snap the shots.

We will definitely do this excursion again if we good back to Juneau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

nope, Taku does not advertise bear viewing....but obviously they are in the neighborhood.....not is there fishing in the Taku....It is a wide free flowing river and you would need a guide....and that is not what this excursion is about...If you really want to go fishing...then come up a few days earlier or stay a few days later and book for what fish you want to have. Many of the fishing guides from the ships fish for pinks....not a very good eating fish...but look up Alaska fish and Game site and figure out what season you want to come, then book that. Then, you can have your fish shipped to your home after your cruise is finished. Valdez is a wonderful place to fish as is Seward or Whittier...depending on what you want. the Kenai was closed to salmon this year and I suspect it will be closed next year also, but the other rivers in the area should be open. PS...the best Salmon to eat...most people would agree...are the Red's....July and early August. Kings are good, but it takes an average of 72 hours to catch one....I didn't just come up with that. Fish and Game did....You probably don't have 72 hours to try. G'day charters in Valdez does wonderful combo fishing and sightseeing trips. You can even pull up your own shrimp pot and plop them right on the BBQ on the boat while you watch the Eagles. Then there are the party boats for Halibut and Cod out of Seward and Homer if you are interested in those. Lots of fishing....but do your homework ahead of time. The good guides and boats get booked early.