8 and 10 Y/O Dining Room Attire

fozzy1975

I have read a lot of negative comments regarding dining room attire, but I wanted to ask anyway. We are planning a 6 night breeze cruise next June, But honestly, the cruise is costing enough that I really do not feel like spending a fortune on "dinner" clothes for the boys. Don't get me wrong, on formal night they will wear dress pants shirts and ties, but on any other night? We live in Florida so they very rarely wear jeans. As all kids, they are into basketball shorts, and pants. How horrible would it be if I had the kids in basketball shorts, sneakers and a clean shirt for dinner or kaki shorts? No we do not want to eat at the buffet as we enjoy the dining room experience. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Shorts are on the "approved" list for non-Elegant night. The kids will be fine with khakis.

Basketball shorts are specifically named as not allowed, even on non-Elegant night.

Edited by KenMo

Khaki shorts are fine, and khaki pants and a dress shirt/tie will work great for elegant night (many men won't even be wearing a tie). I always make my boys get dressed for elegant dinner and pictures, it's a treat for my wife, but I've never purchased anything especially for the cruise

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Dress clothing for boys rarely wears out.....they just don't wear the stuff long enough.....a quick wedding, a church outing, etc. Then they've grown out of the stuff.

We have LOTS of consignment / second hand stores around where we live and the nicer clothes is usually in great shape and VERY CHEAP!! I pick up a suit jacket for both my boys right before each of our cruises (they grow so fast).....usually spend about $5 a piece and grab a white shirt and tie. Dress pants are also easy to find in good condition because its the kind mom's don't let their boys play in, LOL - I've bought whole suits on ebay for under $15 with pants, jacket, shirt, & tie.

Another option we've done around the neighborhood is to ask friends and relatives.......believe me these dress clothes are usually worn once and sit in someone's closet until they've grown out of them - Ask a neighbor, friend or relative who has boys/girls a little older and you might end up with matching shoes and a couple other accessories! - without spending a dime!

It doesn't have to be expensive to dress nicely - My two long dresses (both designer labels) were purchased off ebay for under $20 - literally saved at least $100+ on each of them!!

Cargo shorts work. Basketball shorts do not. My DS wears his basketball shorts/t-shirts during the day and switches to cargo shorts/jeans with a polo/buttoned down collared shirt for dinner...both with his black Nikes. For elegant night he wears dress pants with a dress shirt, no tie or jacket.

Edited by Warm Breezes

My boys wore cargo shorts and polo shirts on non-elegant nights. They fit in just fine. I actually on brought two polos per boy and they wore the same shirt to dinner a couple nights. no one noticed!

On elegant nights, they wore slacks and a button up dress shirt. Only one boy chose to wear a tie.

My kids wore shorts every night on the Liberty. Usually it was khakis but there were a couple of nights they just wore the sporty shorts they had on from earlier. I noticed as the week went on everyone's attire got less and less dressy. Even on the 2nd formal night, there were very few people participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the whole purpose of doing the formal dinner is for those who want to enjoy a special elegant quiet evening and dress up to show their respect for the Captain and the atmosphere. It isn't a mandatory dinner so if you aren't willing/ able to have the kids dress up and want to let them relax you can always eat in the main dining room. Also...you could drop them off at one of the camp carnival activities and just enjoy a peaceful romantic dinner for you and your spouse. My kids are teens and went with us to one dinner but opted out of the second and did a treasure hunt instead! :)

I think the whole purpose of doing the formal dinner is for those who want to enjoy a special elegant quiet evening and dress up to show their respect for the Captain and the atmosphere. It isn't a mandatory dinner so if you aren't willing/ able to have the kids dress up and want to let them relax you can always eat in the main dining room. Also...you could drop them off at one of the camp carnival activities and just enjoy a peaceful romantic dinner for you and your spouse. My kids are teens and went with us to one dinner but opted out of the second and did a treasure hunt instead! :)

The OP said there kids were going to wear slacks, shirt and Tie on elegant night, so not sure what point you are making about the kids not going to elegant night. The question was about basketball shorts on non-elegant nights, and they might get away with it, but as others have posted they are not technically allowed.

As far as elegant night purpose being special quiet evening where people dress up to show their respect to the captain, I do not think so. As far as I can see, it is a night carnival tries to sell you over priced pictures.

The MDR is more lien ant with kids attire than an adults. A clean t-shirt and basketball shorts were acceptable on most nights except the elegant cruise night. Kaki pants are acceptable for all nights for kids.

It's just a moment, this time will pass

Just about any casual clothes will be fine on non-elegant nights. I agree that I would stay away from the basketball shorts.

For elegant night, a slight majority of men will be wearing neither a jacket nor a tie. If your kids are wearing either, they will be in a very small minority. If you stay away from the sports shorts and logoed t-shirts, almost anything else should be fine.

I have read a lot of negative comments regarding dining room attire, but I wanted to ask anyway. We are planning a 6 night breeze cruise next June, But honestly, the cruise is costing enough that I really do not feel like spending a fortune on "dinner" clothes for the boys. Don't get me wrong, on formal night they will wear dress pants shirts and ties, but on any other night? We live in Florida so they very rarely wear jeans. As all kids, they are into basketball shorts, and pants. How horrible would it be if I had the kids in basketball shorts, sneakers and a clean shirt for dinner or kaki shorts? No we do not want to eat at the buffet as we enjoy the dining room experience. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Here is the Carnival dress code ...

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Also, as an option, you can eat at the buffet which is very casual, or order room service (which is as casual as you can make it).