Vatican Questions.

I know there are tours available (scavi), but can you go down below on your own once you are inside the Vatican?

When we were there in 2001 I don't think we paid to get in anywhere(the SIstine Chapel was closed for repairs), and I know we didn't pay to bo down below where the popes, etc. are buried.

Any info is appreciated.

We are going 9-14--I think you can get reservations 30 days out?

Thanks, Gary

We did this tour on our last visit to Rome. We booked it online as I recall (I may be confused with other museum reservations, though). If this is something you really want to do, make your resevations ASAP. As I recall (and I know this is correct!), at the time we went, they only offered the tour in the early morning and only 15 people per day were allowed into the underground areas.

There was one really pushy woman blustering about how she should be let in because she had a letter from her Bishop. The man at the desk told her that she could have a letter from the Pope himself, but if she didn't have a reservation, she wasn't getting in!

The tour was amazing; it was one of the highlights of our trip.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html

When you speak of underground tours of St. Peters, there are two different and distinct things we are addressing. The "scavi" tour is an archaeological tour under the basilica and for that you need a reservation and ticket purchase, sometimes days in advance.

To go to the lower level of St. Peters where you can see the Popes' tombs on your own is something you can do anytime you tour St. Peters. I think they might close the doors to this lower tomb level half hour before closing time of the basilica. You can go to Mass at one of the lower level chapels (including the chapel for St Peter's tomb) anytime between 7a.m. and 12 noon -- Mass offered every half hour. Just look for any priest who is dressed in his Mass vestments and making his way down to the lower level. Ask what chapel he is going to and in what language he will be celebrating Mass.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Rome on a Wednesday the 2nd week in October. We were going to try to be at the Vatican by 1:30 pm to tour the Sistine Chapel etc. If I manage to get reservations ($20 euros?), we would probably slip away from the "guided" tour and go through it ourselves.

Questions:

When you make reservations via fax - do you pay at the same time?

What are the regular line-ups like around 1:30 pm?

Would I be wise to make a reservation and if the line up is not too bad forego the reservation and get into the regular line?

Thanks for the info

Golden Princess,

We did not have to pay up front when we faxed our reservation for the Vatican tour. I plan on going in on own if the line is not long. I just read another thread where the two hour tour is not that great. Guess I will play it by ear when we get there on the 23 of Sept.

Hi Kathy: As the leaves begin to change colour, thoughts do turn to cruising. This is the website that provides most of your answers...

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html Payment isn't due until the day of your tour.On Wednesdays, The tour you would want is at 2 pm. I have read several posts here on CC that it is no problem to jump queue should the regular lineup be short. And make your reservations 30 days prior to your arrival date. That would be next Monday (I'm not sure if more days than 30 is acceptable but less may be too late!). Buona fortuna.... Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

I have it marked on my calender to order tickets (next Monday) - wow only 30 more day.

I noticed the leaves starting to change on way up to see "The Stompin" last night. Imagine all those people in that little village. Traffic was unreal coming home, even though we left by 10. It's going to be a gorgeous fall.

You must be leaving soon for your cruise as well. Keep us posted with the highlights when your return.

K

For anyone considering the scavi tours - I have done it. It is quite amazing.

We did it a few years ago on a regular vacation trip to Rome - and at the time you needed to apply months in advance to get into it.

I would count that tour as on of the more profound trips in my life. I am not a religious person, but I think if you are you will find it even more amazing.

You go WAY below the Vatican, and you see actual buildings that have been there for I guess for close to 2 thousand years - you walk down 'streets' and past stuff that people do not know exists today.

What is a flat area today on ground level, used to be a hill, and the vatican sits on top of this hill. The sides of the hill where there used to be gravesites and stuff is what you see in the scavi tour. Just amazing.

It's disappointing for us to be in Rome for so little time. Our departure time is 5 pm! But the Vatican is a must and whatever else we can squeeze in so we can return to our ship safely before it 'sets sail' for Gibraltar. We return Nov. 6, by which time the leaves will all be fallen....sigh. Hopefully, I can make some contribution to this site which has been a great source of info for me (and many others). Reports are, there were more than 30,000 to see Stompin' Tom. Many times more than Oktoberfest in Ladysmith! Cheers, Bruce

My concern about lining up for the Sistine Chapel at 1:30p.m. on an October Wednesday is this.......since the Pope gives his public "General Audience" at St. Peters every Wednesday morning (except during particular summer Wednesdays when he is in on vacation in the cooler Italian hillsides) wouldnt taking a tour of the museums be exceptionally busy on Wednesday afternoons after the General Audience?

Archived