Carnival Glory 8/6 to 8/13

trish614

Just got back from our cruise on the Glory. I see that two others have already posted, so I will just add my observations.

We booked our air through the cruise line and I was a bit apprehensive about the time we were leaving Newark Liberty Airport (10:20 flight) but all went well, and we arrived at the dock by about 3:00..we were able to board with no wait, and while we had always arrived much earlier on our past cruises, I found that this was not a problem. Our luggage was at our cabin by 5:30 which was great.

Interesting about the food...we thought that it was quite good. We always found several starters that were excellent, and there was a seafood, beef, vegetarian and poultry entree choice each night. (chicken, turkey, game hens).

Our table staff was excellent... Atri and Malvin, and we tipped them extra on the last night. Of the three cruises we have taken, they were the most attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed every night.

We did not like the lunch buffets, except for the "American" theme, which had fried chicken, but enjoyed the deli, fish and chips and the pizza.

Our cabin steward was fine, a bit forgetful at times (no washcloths one night, no hand towels another) but we saw him most every day and when we had a problem with our shower he was there in a flash. We did not have a basket of toiletries either, but my parents and my brother and son did. I asked and was told that 90% of the ship no longer gets them. I found that odd but no further explanation was given.

We went to see the Atlantis in the Bahamas (very nice, cute "dig" that younger kids would like) although it was extremely hot.

My kids did the "snuba" in St. Thomas, and had fun.

We shopped in St. Maarten, and I treated myself to a tanzaninte ring. :)

We did not feel that the ship rocked much at all, there was one night, I think it was Sunday, that we felt movement, but that was because we were going full steam ahead after leaving the Bahamas. On Thursday night (early morning, around 4 )we apparently had some rocking, according to the cruise director, but no one in our party felt it at all. The last night there was movement as the ship turned, because we were at Port Canaveral early, so we just went in a circle of sorts until we docked on Saturday.

We did find it difficult to get lounge chairs on Thursday, we were not looking to be right by the pool, but it didn't matter...lots of "saving" of chairs. My daughter and I found two chairs together and there was a young lady who was saving two chairs and for an hour and a half no one sat in them. Then when my daughter's boyfriend came to join us, I moved one bag so he could lay there and the girl, who had left about 20 minutes before, came back like a shot and told us the seats were saved. When I pointed out that no one had sat there for an hour and a half, she just gave me a look and walked away, but we decided to leave instead of putting ourselves in an uncomfortable situation. I really think that there should be a stricter policy about saving seats for long periods of time.

We had an early flight on Saturday (12:15) and were allowed to disembark early..we were off the ship by 8:15. We were given different tags to put on our luggage and put them out the night before. When we got down to the luggage area all the bags were there. We were at the airport by 9:15!

All and all we had a great time.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

trish614 .... Nice of you to take the time to post your review! You make us wish we were going on GLORY right NOW!

Agree with your comments below! Basically, it is not worth our time or effort to deal with CHAIR HOGS!!!! Unfortunately, it is a problem on ALL cruise lines!

We did find it difficult to get lounge chairs on Thursday, we were not looking to be right by the pool, but it didn't matter...lots of "saving" of chairs. My daughter and I found two chairs together and there was a young lady who was saving two chairs and for an hour and a half no one sat in them. Then when my daughter's boyfriend came to join us, I moved one bag so he could lay there and the girl, who had left about 20 minutes before, came back like a shot and told us the seats were saved. When I pointed out that no one had sat there for an hour and a half, she just gave me a look and walked away, but we decided to leave instead of putting ourselves in an uncomfortable situation. I really think that there should be a stricter policy about saving seats for long periods of time.

Another question: In St.Maarten ... did you take the "Water Taxi" to go shopping in town?

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Yes, we did take the water taxi..it was $5 per person for all day service, and dropped you either downtown or uptown..we started uptown. The boats ran constantly so there was never a wait of more than 3-4 minutes.

Archived