White to a wedding?

I know this isn't a cruise fashion question but, wanted some input just the same. I am going to a coworkers wedding in a few weeks--it is going to be a lakefront, outside, casual wedding. Will a white,sleevless, kneelength, sheath dress, with pink flowers embroidered on it be appropriate or is it still a fashion "no no" to wear white to a wedding? Thanks for any replys!

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

According to Miss Manners <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...is it still a fashion "no no"...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Pick up a nice pastel colored <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sleevless, kneelength, sheath dress, with pink flowers embroidered<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> and you will look gorgious.

Just my opinion...but then again I could be wrong. icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lon

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;4;24;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

To the sailing of the Glory

I personally wouldn't wear white to a wedding (unless I was the one getting married). That's just my opinion, though. I think that white should be reserved for the bride.

First cruise on Serenade of the Seas, 5/30/04!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I think that since your dress does have some pink to it, and the wedding is an outside casual event, I say it's fine. Would I wear it to a formal church wedding? No....JMO

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the girls sail on the Sovereign!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000

Sensation 5/2001

Imagination 8/2002

Veendam 3/2003

Sovereign 4/2004

Brilliance 7/2005

Given that it's an informal wedding, I would be even LESS likely to wear white, as the bride's gown is even more likely to be informal as well.

First cruise on Serenade of the Seas, 5/30/04!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

White to somebody else's wedding is tacky IMHO.

You mentioned your dress has pink flowers. That could "save" it for this event. Can you wear it w/ pink shoes & maybe a pink wrap?

I have worn cream to weddings but only after I was sure the bride was wearing pure snow white. It's really not fair to compete.

Trish

Thanks for the replys! I'm not trying to compete with the bride in any way! Just trying to conserve $$ since I spent so much on ebay. icon_smile.gifLOL! I was hoping one dress would work for Easter,the wedding, and a non formal night on the cruise! I guess I'll use it for 2 out of 3! Thanks again!

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

From Ask Jeeves...

"Wearing white: since the popularization of the white wedding dress in the mid-19th century, women have avoided wearing white to a wedding, so that the bride might uniquely shine in her white wedding gown. While this rule, like the "no black dresses" rule, has since been rejected, a female guest should select carefully if she opts to wear white. Be careful to not select anything that might cause anyone to mistake you for the bride. Since current bridal fashions are sleeker than ever, and many older and second time brides dress in wedding suits, you might embarrass yourself (and the bride) in a white outfit. If you plan to wear white, choose carefully, and accessorize with color."

tinsel57

Ok, the dress is going back to the store. I had decided against wearing it to the wedding but, was going to keep it for Easter and cruise. However, I tried it on again at home and boy, even with a slip it is just too see through!!! Thanks for all the advice anyway!

Marsha

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

Archived