Tea Time or is it..

AAAAmerican

Does NCL have a Proper English/American Tea?

When and where is it? :D

I've never seen it, but if you have a suite your butler can arrange tea for you with as much or as little fuss as you like!:)

Outside of the United Kingdom, many people refer to afternoon tea as 'high tea.' Although the idea that high tea is a meal of foods like scones and finger sandwiches is common, it is not actually correct in a traditional or historical sense.

Afternoon Tea Basics

Afternoon tea, also known as 'low tea,' is what most people think of when they hear 'high tea.' It involves things like manners, lace and dainty foods. It is typically served in the mid-afternoon and it was traditionally served on low tables, hence its two names.

Historically, afternoon tea was considered to be a ladies' social occasion, and it is more often enjoyed by women than men to this day.

High Tea Basics

Traditionally, high tea was a working class meal served on a high table at the end of the workday, shortly after five PM. It was a heavy meal of meat dishes (such as steak and kidney pie), fish dishes (such as pickled salmon), baked goods (such as crumpets or, in Ireland, barm brack), vegetables (such as potatoes or onion cakes), and other heavy foods (such as baked beans and cheesy casseroles).

High tea was much more of a working class family meal than it was an elite social gathering.

Types of Afternoon Tea

Although many Americans think of afternoon tea as having a set menu, there are many variations on this tea-centric meal.

The simplest form of afternoon tea is cream tea -- a meal of tea, scones and cream.

Add fresh strawberries to cream tea and you have strawberry tea. Alternately, if you add more sweets to cream tea, you get light tea.

Add savory foods, like finger sandwiches to light tea and you get full tea, which is the elaborate meal most Americans think of when they hear the phrase 'afternoon tea.'

Some hotels and tea rooms also offer other variations on afternoon tea, such as champagne tea (afternoon tea served with a glass of champagne) and teddy bear tea (a children's afternoon tea party featuring dolls and teddy bears). In Bath, England, Sally Lunns are a popular addition to afternoon tea.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/historyculture/a/High-Tea-Vs-Afternoon-Tea.htm

You can go to the snacks area in the afternoon around 3pm. On my last 2 Jade cruises in the Great Outdoors they had scones, cookies, jam and whipped cream and other food like sandwiches, salad, pasta. I would think all NCL are similar. I go every sea day on my cruises.

Carnival and Holland America still have formal afternoon tea but not NCL or RCCL. Not sure about Celebrity. Anybody know?

You can go to the snacks area in the afternoon around 3pm. On my last 2 Jade cruises in the Great Outdoors they had scones, cookies, jam and whipped cream and other food like sandwiches, salad, pasta. I would think all NCL are similar. I go every sea day on my cruises.

Carnival and Holland America still have formal afternoon tea but not NCL or RCCL. Not sure about Celebrity. Anybody know?

I am curious to hear the answer to this myself If Celebrity has high (or low, or cream, or strawberry or full :)) tea in the MDR every afternoon then that is something new. It was offered in the MDR only on sea days on our 2006 cruise, and not well attended. So on other days we put together our own "tea", as was suggested by lettienets (above), from what was offered at the buffet -- pastries, sandwiches, etc. Late afternoon at the buffet definitely had an "afternoon tea" theme, and I believe it was even written up as "afternoon tea" in the daily schedule.

I too, would look forward to a nice afternoon Tea on any ship. I am a very casual person, no problem using paper plates and plastic utensils, but there is something very satisfying about sitting around a table, having a large selection of fine teas, then seeing trays of little sandwiches, cookies, and cakes all decked out for consuming. Makes this old gal feel like a refined lady.

For a short time anyway, lol

We have only cruised Carnival until now. Afternoon Tea Time was a highlight for every cruise. We looked forward to it every sea day. Like Patticake.. it made us feel special. Got to meet a lot of great people. Did not even think NCL wouldn't have it. Good to hear that Jewel class ships may have something similar.

HiDiHo all.

Jodie

Does anyone know if the Star has the snacks around 3PM and where it is located?

I think all ships have some food available somewhere after the lunch buffet is over.

On NCL there is no formal tea but you can have snacks as mentioned in the late afternoon usually in great outdoors area. You will have to check the daily paper. Make tea or get coffee at the machines. You have to improvize on NCL.