Luggage question?

WOOFIE

We're going on our cruise in October and was wondering if instead of putting our luggage outside our cabin door the night before we disembark, could we instead just take it off with us when we leave the next morning? :rolleyes:

Yes, you should be able to do so, however, be forewarned it may not be easy to deal with luggage down the gangway and through customs (if applicable). Also, make sure you square things away with the Purser's Office so they don't give you any trouble for going when you want.

We did this last year on the Carnival Spirit. We actually had 1 very large suitcase on rollers and a couple of carry ons...we had no problems at all getting off the ship on the gangway. This year we will definitely do this on the CB. However....since I always take way too many clothes and shoes, this year I am taking a lot less...I don't need much of it anyway! I actually did a trial run this weekend and got all of my clothes in a 21" travel suitcase on wheels!!! Very proud of myself! So we will each carry one of those and a carry on bag each. That way we won't have to check luggage on the flight down or on the ship when we embark. 18 days and counting! ; )

Woofie, as the other posters have said, you can take care of your own luggage. BUT....I would do so only if I was traveling very light. Disembarkation, clearing customs, finding transportation can get hectic. Think about whether you really want to be handling your own bags all the way. If you have minimum luggage and/or are really pressed for time to make a connection then go for it. But if you are traveling with enough cargo to support a band of gypsies (like most of us) then just relax and let the ship's crew and the port's baggage handlers do some of the work for you.

Also, on our last cruise I noticed that people who claimed their luggage by themselves went to one set of customs lines, while those of us using a baggage handler went to a separate, shorter, faster line. That was in Ft Lauderdale, I don't know if that happens often or if it happens in other locations, but for us it was worth the $10 tip to the baggage handler just to get through customs faster.

Archived