Got the cruising bug!

campergirl62

We got back this morning from a week in the Norwegian fjords on Oceana. It was our first cruise and we had a fantastic time. All the ports were really nice but we thought Eidfjord was the best port. We took a trip up to the Sysen Dam and the weather was perfect. We had brilliant views of the glacier.

Cruising is so much easier than flying. We left home at 10.30 and were having lunch on board by 12.45. This morning we left the ship at 8.45 and was indoors by 10.45. So now we're looking at next year. We had an inside cabin this time and it was fine. But next time we'd book an outside cabin as minimum. We're looking at another fjords cruise this time next year on Britannia. We made a future cruise payment whilst on board so committed now!

So cruising all the way from now on for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

We were on the same cruise as you - perhaps we bumped into each other (!) and yes, it was our first as well!!

While on board we booked a 13 nighter on Arcadia to the Canaries in Nov 2015......only 427 days and counting.

Can't stop smiling!!!!

Megellen

Hi Campergirl. So pleased you enjoyed your 1st cruise. If I remember rightly you posted a question about dress code a while ago?

Our first one was for hubby's 40th and as we were "only going to do it once" we splashed out on a balcony cabin and 5 cruises later .... we're booked on Britannia for Feb 2016 in the Caribbean! :-) Our 1st cruise was on Oceana too and we love the ship.

I believe most if not all of Britannia's outside cabins have a balcony.

Coincidentally - we were on a visit to Oceana yesterday, so you would have just been getting off as we were arriving.

Bells

I did ask about dress codes. For our first cruise we learnt quite a lot.

The dress code, even on formal evenings was more relaxed that we thought it would be. We liked having Freedom dining, we could eat when we wanted, share a table or eat on our own. We met lots of lovely people that way. Two sea days is probably enough for us. We took far too much luggage!

Our inside cabin was fine and Diogo, our cabin steward looked after us very well. But it would be nice to have a balcony next time. Because I have MS, I need to be able to rest during the day and a balcony cabin would be nicer.

Norway is a beautiful country but expensive so a cruise is the best way to visit. We definitely want to see more of it. We were lucky with sea conditions and the ginger and Kwells remained unopened.

So we're definitely booking another cruise for next year, hopefully on the Britannia. I think it would be good to try a different size ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So pleased that you enjoyed your first cruise experience so much, campergirl62.

Ours was way back in the early 90s when we were 20-somethings, stuck for what to do for a holiday and I said I'd always fancied a cruise. DH was less than enthusiastic but agreed on the promise that he could choose the following year's holiday. We returned from a week to the Canaries with DH even more hooked than I was. We had one other cruise followed by a long gap, but are back to it now and have the children as hooked as we are.

As richleeds says, do try other cruise lines and destinations, they all have their pros and cons, but variety is the spice of life!