Ruins in Wheelchair?

de_cash

Just have a quick question.

My brother is in a wheelchair and wants to go and visit some ruins. Are there any ship excursions that a person in a wheelchair can go on and still see the ruins? I went to Chachoben last year and I don't think he can do that one. He can walk/climb very little so it would need to be something easily accessible.

thanks in advance.

As long as your brother can transfer to a van or car, I would suggest going with a private tour rather than a ship excursion for two reasons. First most ship excursions use buses which can be difficult to get into even with help. Secondly, on a ship excursion, there is one guide for 40+ people so the guide can not assist you.

When we were in Belize last year we joined a van tour at the dock to Altun Ha. There is a small hill to reach the site and the paths around it were dirt, but they were hard enough so there I could push his manual chair with out too much difficulty. I did have a problem getting him over some roots and stones, but our driver helped me.

If, by chance, you are going to Progreso too, I would suggest Dzibultchan instead. Its only about 30 minutes from the pier and much more impressive and you can hire knowledgeable guides to show you around. The main problem there was the gravel path to the museum, but I found I could traverse it backwards so the big wheels of his chair went first. I also had a little difficulty getting over some rocks to the site, but once ther the Mayan road was better than many modern ones.

It really depends on whether the water is calm enough as to whether they will allow your grandmother to tender. They have to lift your Grandmother onto the tender in her wheelchair or carry her on.

Frankly, having been to Belize, I would not even try to tender if I couldn't transfer from a wheelchair. In addition, I don't believe that any of the private tour guides have vehicles with wheelchair lifts. And I know the cruise line tours don't.

I would suggest wanting to go to another port and just enjoying the ship while many people are gone. Grand Cayman is nice, even though it is a tender port and there are other ports that are more wheelchair friendly. Why don't you post on the disabled forum and get some advice about your ports you are going to visit?

Scejas:

All of RCCL shiops and some of the newer ones on other cruise lines have tender lifts for wheelchair at one tender exit and the crew will lift wheelchairs passengers into the tenders themselves. However, they do not always use the exit with the lift and lifts can break, Regardless, I still would not attempt to take a wheelchair ashore if the water is rough.

Most Caribbean ports do not have wheelchair accessible transportation, but you should be okay if your grandmother uses a folding wheelchair and can transfer to a car.

Archived