Would I regret trying another cruise line

Funbobby68

Been on Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, and Princess and wouldn't hesitate to book any one again. Small differences, not anything enough to be a showstopper for us. Princess if we had to choose. We might even try Carnival!!

Lets remember, all these companies are in the cruise business, their livelihood depends on your vacation.

Edited by Highlander1

We have been RCI, Carnival & Disney. (Disney was over 10 years ago though when kids were small) and I have to say, we have completely enjoyed every cruise we have been on. Loved Carnival and RCI both. Going to try Liberty of the Seas in March for 25 year anniversary cruise!!! So excited! For me just being on a cruise is the best.:)

Been on all 3, and on the 'B'est Coast:

Food:

1) Princess

2) Carnival

Activities:

Tie) CCL and RCI, live music better on RCI. Other activities, all the same.

Service:

1) Princess

2) CCL

Rooms:

1) Princess

2) CCL.

Room Service:

1) Princess

2) RCI

Ships: Toss up if Voyager or above ships are not on list. If they were, I'd pick RCI.

If not on list, tie!

That's imho!

Edited by klfhngr

We have sailed on all three lines out of LA/Long Beach. Although we still miss Monarch, we had a good time on 9 or 10 of our Carnival cruises - although Paradise was old and tattered, she had a good vibe. We didn't care for Inspiration at all, so won't be returning to her. Live entertainment was a joke - one band with a singer whose vocal chords were being abused by how much she had to sing and a club band that Simon Cowell would have eviscerated.

We LOVE sailing on Golden Princess - the weekend cruises are just as lively as on Monarch, which caught the crew by surprise - the bar manager was in heaven and the chief purser was appalled.:p

From reading many posts here on CC, the consensous appears to be that fans of RC also like Princess, and this has been my experience also.

I find the shipboard experience to be just about equal with RC, their downfall is their weak loyalty program.

You will find some new things on Princess that you will really like, and a few that you don't like as much, similar to comparison of two equally-rated land resorts.

I rate them (and Celebrity) a good bit above NCL, and Carnival? - don't get me started!

I don't find Princess' loyalty program to be weak at all - would you please elaborate what you don't like about it? They offer different perks than RCI but they have a nice array - free laundry for Elite (handy on any cruise 7+ days), more Internet. Although they don't have a CL or DL, they have a one-time setup in your cabin that includes water (still & sparkling), beer, hard liquor and sodas (and you can mix and match). They also allow anybody to combine OBC that can result in more off the price of the cabin than the balcony discount - we have a 3-night cruise coming up with FCC, military and shareholder credit adding up to $150. On a 14-night cruise in 2016, we have over $500 and haven't applied for the shareholder credit yet, which should add another $250.

I'll disagree with Klfhngr's ratings a bit - I think that the service on Monarch was the gold standard for the fleet and superior to both Princess and Carnival. Although her cabins are smaller, they are well laid out and not some awful RED like Carnival's. Carnival has better showers, though.

If you go into a cruise comparing it to what you know, you are bound to find some things that are better and some that aren't. If you dwell on the latter, you will be disappointed. But I think that you should find an itinerary that appeals and book it. We're thrilled that Jewel, our favorite RCI ship, is coming for a visit next year, and are hoping that she moves in for awhile.:D In the meantime, we'll sail the other lines when we want a quick getaway.

I think it depends on you. What is important to you?? Believe it or not, we took ONE Royal cruise on the Monarch of the Seas, I don't have it listed in my sig because I don't remember the date. It was just ok. The reason we won't take another Royal is the coffee was in big urns and not in a machine. The coffee was always luke warm and weak. We happen to love coffee. Sounds silly, but that is what is important to us.

You'll have to judge for yourself. No one here knows you, like you know you.

Take the leap. You'll either like a change, or not.

I've read reports from people who were afraid to try this line or that. Some were sorry they did and others were pleasantly surprised.

Your call.

We've been on Princess, HAL, RC and Celebrity. For us Celebrity was a step above everyone else in every way. Last year we went on Splendour of the Seas and had the worst experience ever because of the location of our cabin. We'll never go on another RC cruise in that class again. I really agree with people who say it's the ship/staff that determines a good experience not necessarily a specific line. Having said that ever since Carnival took over Princess their food and service has deteriorated. I would support you trying a different line. Good luck!

I am considering it. After my forthcoming cruise, I want one more on one of the Megaships, possibly Oasis or Allure. Then, I want a destination-based, rather than amenity-based cruise, possibly on the northwest coast. I'm keen on stopping in Seattle. I have my eye on a cruise line, but would be willing to consider others.

Sailed on Star Princess to Hawaii last yr and this fall doing several west coastal cruises on Crown and Golden Princess. I feel the food is better than RCL however the entertainment is better on RCL. Have been able to get some good prices on Princess mini-suites. That is a plus for me. If I like the itinerary and the price I won’t just sail RCL.

Laura

Just curious since I don't quite understand your logic.

The point of reaching Diamond is to enjoy the perks that go with it. Why stick with RCCL to reach the level and then cruise other lines?

Yeah, it doesn't seem logical does it? Here's our reasoning for what it's worth:

The next cruise we plan to book is a full transit of the Panama Canal sometime in the first half of 2016. We decided that it would be very advantageous for us to be Diamond on that cruise. This is a very special cruise for my wife as she spent her teen years in Panama as an army brat in the Zone. This cruise will be her present for her 50th birthday. Just waiting for Royal to post it's Canal schedule for 2016, or if necessary, we'll book it on Celebrity and use the Elite status we will have with them.

After that...well, we're not logical people, and the gap between Diamond and D+ is fairly wide. We'll mix it up...but Royal will always be our first choice. We plan on doing many, many more cruises. And we won't know what we're missing if we don't try!

The only reason I'm considering another line is for the convenience of port , owning my own business and kid that still want to travel with us , I have to take in to consideration school / university , and work so west coast really works for us , plus they seam to have jack up the Alaska prices , maybe after the " sale" is over might just book RCI again

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yeah, it doesn't seem logical does it? Here's our reasoning for what it's worth:

The next cruise we plan to book is a full transit of the Panama Canal sometime in the first half of 2016. We decided that it would be very advantageous for us to be Diamond on that cruise. This is a very special cruise for my wife as she spent her teen years in Panama as an army brat in the Zone. This cruise will be her present for her 50th birthday. Just waiting for Royal to post it's Canal schedule for 2016, or if necessary, we'll book it on Celebrity and use the Elite status we will have with them.

After that...well, we're not logical people, and the gap between Diamond and D+ is fairly wide. We'll mix it up...but Royal will always be our first choice. We plan on doing many, many more cruises. And we won't know what we're missing if we don't try!

Nothing about sailing the Panama Canal on ANY cruise line sounds illogical to me! What a great 50th birthday gift...just wish it were me. Enjoy the sailing. ;)

Was looking for west coast cruises out of LA , San Diego ....ect , but nervous about spending the money to just be let down with ships and services , any one have any input good or bad , looking at carnival or princess . OK discuss

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nothing to be nervous about!.

Only problem we ever encounter is that the bastards tell us to go home on the last day of the cruise. :p

I think it depends on you. What is important to you?? Believe it or not, we took ONE Royal cruise on the Monarch of the Seas, I don't have it listed in my sig because I don't remember the date. It was just ok. The reason we won't take another Royal is the coffee was in big urns and not in a machine. The coffee was always luke warm and weak. We happen to love coffee. Sounds silly, but that is what is important to us.

What?? We love the coffee on RCL!! Always hot. Always strong! Never luke warm. Never weak.... 14 cruises!! Even on Monarch!! ??????????????