Cape Liberty

Summerlove4ever

So what's the construction status at Cape Liberty? I am leaving on cruise in early October, driving to the port and was hoping that the new terminal would be operational. LOL! But seriously, is it still a mess down there? From what I read it is also tricky to get to the port with poor signage. Is that true?

Just trying to get mentally prepared......

So what's the construction status at Cape Liberty? I am leaving on cruise in early October, driving to the port and was hoping that the new terminal would be operational. LOL! But seriously, is it still a mess down there? From what I read it is also tricky to get to the port with poor signage. Is that true?

Just trying to get mentally prepared......

This is the latest on the construction status for Cape Liberty, just hit play.

(http://oxblue.com/open/FitzpatrickNJ/CapeLiberty)

The plan is to have the new terminal ready when Quantum arrives in November and I doubt very much that it will be ready for you in October. And what mess are you talking about?

As far as the signage getting to the port, follow the directions in this forum that 138East posted which I have copied and pasted below.

Here are the directions into the port from the turnpike.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Thanks for posting that for me. We stayed in Jersey City this last weekend for three nights and GPS was awful for us. We actually lived in Jersey City many years ago in the same area, so it was not totally unfamiliar. My husband got misdirected by GPS trying to go from the Holland Tunnel to the airport - IMO he should have known better. It even took me a day to adjust and just learn to ignore GPS, which tried to take me north from the Holland tunnel to midtown on 6th Ave instead of following the much faster West Street to get north to 30th St. I finally won that battle and we went up the west side.

This is the latest on the construction status for Cape Liberty, just hit play.

(http://oxblue.com/open/FitzpatrickNJ/CapeLiberty)

The plan is to have the new terminal ready when Quantum arrives in November and I doubt very much that it will be ready for you in October. And what mess are you talking about?

As far as the signage getting to the port, follow the directions in this forum that 138East posted which I have copied and pasted below.

Here are the directions into the port from the turnpike.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I know these are the directions you gave me too. My only question is all the turn right turn right go left.... do you have street names for each turn or landmarks.... I have great sense of directions but I am a girl who , when in an unfamiliar area, has landmarks or visuals to verify I am where I should be...LOL I know since you know what your talking about it seems simple but I can't picture it....LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know these are the directions you gave me too. My only question is all the turn right turn right go left.... do you have street names for each turn or landmarks.... I have great sense of directions but I am a girl who , when in an unfamiliar area, has landmarks or visuals to verify I am where I should be...LOL I know since you know what your talking about it seems simple but I can't picture it....LOL

I found a video for you!!!!

The problem coming through the toll booth is that the toll plaza is very large, there are a lot of little signs, no real named streets, and several choices. Folks have reported that GPS instructions are not always correct and have often sent them off onto local Bayonne streets, which is what you want to avoid.

Look closely at the first frame of the video which is taken from the toll booth. You can see the ramp which goes up and curves left. There is lots of space to cross the toll plaza and get onto this ramp. Once you are on this ramp, you can take the two right turns to get to the light at route 440, where you take a left, drive a bit, and make the next left at the very first traffic signal, which is currently marked Goldsborough Drive. The video shows all this.

Basically it's a big loop - you curve up and left and then make two rights to curve back to the intersection with route 440. If you pull up a detailed map of the area, you can see this.

I found a video for you!!!!

The problem coming through the toll booth is that the toll plaza is very large, there are a lot of little signs, no real named streets, and several choices. Folks have reported that GPS instructions are not always correct and have often sent them off onto local Bayonne streets, which is what you want to avoid.

Look closely at the first frame of the video which is taken from the toll booth. You can see the ramp which goes up and curves left. There is lots of space to cross the toll plaza and get onto this ramp. Once you are on this ramp, you can take the two right turns to get to the light at route 440, where you take a left, drive a bit, and make the next left at the very first traffic signal, which is currently marked Goldsborough Drive. The video shows all this.

Basically it's a big loop - you curve up and left and then make two rights to curve back to the intersection with route 440. If you pull up a detailed map of the area, you can see this.

Thank you. That was nice of you. So this video is taking your exact instructions.? I see all the turns you say. After that it seems the video maker is following signs for the ship? What a "lovely" area. Sarcasm for all you Big Bang Sheldon's out there...lol

So i went on to mapquest my directions from Ohio to Parsippany hotel and it seems it just a straight shot on i-80 all the way!! yeah!! does anyone know an app that shows all the rest stops so the grandparents can stop. Also I mapquest from hotel to port just to get me to the toll... this is what it gave me. I-78 Express becomes I-78 E(portions toll) take exite 14A toward Bayonne . Merge onto Avenue E(portions toll) stay straight to go to Port Jersey Blvd(portions toll), turn right onto Pulaski Tahe the 1st right onto Pulaski St. Turn left onto NJ-440/State Rt. 440. Take the 1st left onto Goldsborough Dr. turn slight left onto Port terminal blvd. so are these the same as urs or what GPS systems try to take u on??

Just wanted to verify?

I checked Mapquest and those are the technical street names, but the whole point is that nothing is clearly marked with street signs, so you are likely to make a mistake. The rights and lefts are really much easier. A lot of folks have complained that their GPS led them astray in this area. The key is getting on the upward ramp coming out of the toll booth.

So i went on to mapquest my directions from Ohio to Parsippany hotel and it seems it just a straight shot on i-80 all the way!! yeah!! does anyone know an app that shows all the rest stops so the grandparents can stop.

We love RoadAhead for that stuff. It figures out which highway you're on and which direction, and shows you what's ahead (including gas prices!) at the next few exits. Perfect for the purpose.

Also I mapquest from hotel to port just to get me to the toll... this is what it gave me. I-78 Express becomes I-78 E(portions toll) take exite 14A toward Bayonne . Merge onto Avenue E(portions toll) stay straight to go to Port Jersey Blvd(portions toll), turn right onto Pulaski Tahe the 1st right onto Pulaski St. Turn left onto NJ-440/State Rt. 440. Take the 1st left onto Goldsborough Dr. turn slight left onto Port terminal blvd. so are these the same as urs or what GPS systems try to take u on??

Yes, they're the same.

I checked Mapquest and those are the technical street names, but the whole point is that nothing is clearly marked with street signs, so you are likely to make a mistake. The rights and lefts are really much easier. A lot of folks have complained that their GPS led them astray in this area. The key is getting on the upward ramp coming out of the toll booth.

thank you.... I printed yours and the mapquest just for a logistical like 3.4 miles ahead etc. I will follow yours however. I hate GPS.... I am a good old map girl unless it's the spur of the moment and then I ask my phone. sometimes u don't have a city map handy..lol

Michelle