Pay early, Pay More, Get Less

synet165

I've been around these parts for awhile, but I still never understand these complaints about price drops. It's simply a choice. If you want to try and make sure you get the lowest price, then book late. Sure, you might end up locked out of a cabin/category you want and it's always possible the price would go up (but unlikely these days), but if that's what is most important then don't book early. As someone mentioned above, you can always book your air, hotels, and make other arrangements for the week you want to cruise at any time. When you get the price you want, book it, and go and enjoy your cruise.

If, on the other hand, a particular cabin/category/location is more important, then book early, hope to catch price drops before final payment, and after final payment be happy that you got your preferred cabin at a rate you found acceptable. Chuckle and shake your head with a wry smile at the lucky people who got a cheaper rate but know in your heart that the extra money was worth it to you to get that cabin. Then go and enjoy your cruise.

It just doesn't seem that complicated to me. But then I'm clearly missing something.

and that is the entire point. Why create a thread and complain about it? Makes no sense at all.

According to NCL, their current policy is fully supporting that goal. From their 2013 Annual Report:

We are able to generate significant levels of cash flow due to our ability to pre-sell tickets and receive customer deposits with long lead times ahead of sailings.

I just priced the Quantum of the Seas for a new year's eve cruise. $10,000 for 3 of us in a balcony LOL Ship is nearly sold out. The Breakaway, on the other hand, was less than half of that - with tons of room left. It really makes you wonder!!

According to NCL, their current policy is fully supporting that goal. From their 2013 Annual Report:

We are able to generate significant levels of cash flow due to our ability to pre-sell tickets and receive customer deposits with long lead times ahead of sailings.

Is filling ships early a goal or the goal? I'd submit that the goal of the corporation (obviously)is to turn a profit. Pre-selling tickets and collecting deposits enhances cash flow, therefore contributing to their ability to turn a profit. It contributes to the primary goal. They sell lots of cruise rewards, thereby collecting deposits without filling specific ships, again contributing to the over-riding goal. All well and good.

The other posters seemed to believe that filling ships early was more important than the cabin price (suggesting the line sell tickets early, but let clients adjust price downward until day of cruise if prices fall). Did the 2013 annual report support that idea? Perhaps not since in 2014 the policy is not to give price reductions after final payment.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Is filling ships early a goal or the goal? I'd submit that the goal of the corporation (obviously)is to turn a profit. Pre-selling tickets and collecting deposits enhances cash flow, therefore contributing to their ability to turn a profit. It contributes to the primary goal. They sell lots of cruise rewards, thereby collecting deposits without filling specific ships, again contributing to the over-riding goal. All well and good.

The other posters seemed to believe that filling ships early was more important than the cabin price (suggesting the line sell tickets early, but let clients adjust price downward until day of cruise if prices fall). Did the 2013 annual report support that idea? Perhaps not since in 2014 the policy is not to give price reductions after final payment.

I agree - it's the bottom line that matters. I don't think NCL necessarily cares if the ships fill early or not. That money isn't even theirs until final payment passes ....

Eh, I'm with the OP on this one. The policy needs to change. On the past two cruises, price has dropped significantly after final payment. Makes me very hesitant to ever book early again as it probably does many others. That is a lose for NCL as their goal is to fill ships as early as possible.

Are you saying that NCL is the only cruiseline that has a policy of not giving refunds for price drops after final payment?

I just priced the Quantum of the Seas for a new year's eve cruise. $10,000 for 3 of us in a balcony LOL Ship is nearly sold out. The Breakaway, on the other hand, was less than half of that - with tons of room left. It really makes you wonder!!

Yeah, I wonder why anybody would pay that. And I wonder if Royal Caribbean will make even more money by sending that ship to Asia so soon? And I wonder how much that quick move to Asia pushed up prices on the few Quantum cruises from the US. Shrewd bunch.

Breakaway for balcony for 3 for a week for about $5000. NCL should make a nice profit if they make that sale:).

Yeah, I wonder why anybody would pay that. And I wonder if Royal Caribbean will make even more money by sending that ship to Asia so soon? And I wonder how much that quick move to Asia pushed up prices on the few Quantum cruises from the US. Shrewd bunch.

Breakaway for balcony for 3 for a week for about $5000. NCL should make a nice profit if they make that sale:).

I think they are crazy to pay that for a balcony cabin sailing to the Bahamas!! My mouth dropped open when I saw that LOL :D

I am the original OP and wasn't going to add to my original posting, but some of your replies are too much. I may not agree with what you have to say but will defend your right to say it. But some of your replies are nasty and unnecessary. We have cruised many times and booked this cruise when we got the email, 90 days before sailing. Payment was made on the last day it was due, all the time asking about what happens after payment date, We have never met anyone who has read the contract word by word.

Thank you for your replies, but there are more important things. In this world than to berate someone for trying to get the most for their money. In this economy it may make a big difference in their cruise.

May objection to NCL is their lack of customer service. And yes Princess does give credits after payment.

Again. Relax and enjoy life. Be nice,

synet165

Since this is such an issue for a small minority of cruisers and appears on this board almost weekly, I wonder if NCL could try an additional category of bookings. Leave it the way it is for those that like it, but give the others a choice. Book a guaranty price, if it goes down you get the difference and if it goes up, they charge your credit card that difference. That way the guest and NCL could share the risk. Bet those that yell the loudest about not getting the lower prices would never sign up for a shared risk plan? For some the price they booked at is OK until they find out someone is getting a better deal, then they feel they are getting robbed. Why not share the risk, I'm sure NCL would be glad to accept the extra money!

We booked 10 months early as we usually do, when the last cabin in our category sold, it was for almost $500 per person more than we paid and are now sold out.

I am the original OP and wasn't going to add to my original posting, but some of your replies are too much. I may not agree with what you have to say but will defend your right to say it. But some of your replies are nasty and unnecessary. We have cruised many times and booked this cruise when we got the email, 90 days before sailing. Payment was made on the last day it was due, all the time asking about what happens after payment date, We have never met anyone who has read the contract word by word.

Thank you for your replies, but there are more important things. In this world than to berate someone for trying to get the most for their money. In this economy it may make a big difference in their cruise.

May objection to NCL is their lack of customer service. And yes Princess does give credits after payment.

Again. Relax and enjoy life. Be nice,

synet165

Interesting as I have sailed Princess 3 times and they not once offered any credit when a price dropped after final payment date. I have had them before final payment but never after. All three of my booking were with Princess directly. In the end I was able to use the price drops to get a better cabin than booked originally, with the last one being a suite. When I called on each booking we got nowhere and no offers and the first two I only got inside cabins and nothing else. I haven't had any cruise line offer a credit back after final payment, mostly just an I'm sorry is all that was offered. My current Princess cruise has had the price drop on the OV to what I paid for the inside so I was moved in that instance. But if that price drops after final payment, I won't be getting anything back.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

I cruised SOLO and paid $1,200. for a Studio for Aug. 23rd. Then I paid $923. for the Aug. 30th for the same studio cabin. I was cruising BACK-back.

I found out that lots of singles were able to pay only $763. as a solo rate for a balcony. They were all super happy.

I felt cheated because I had paid full price. I was told by my travel agent that NCL would not give me OBC credit. I felt so bad because I had used a $250. PRE-PAID deposit to NCL on another cruise. I used that deposit for my Aug.23rd cruise. I felt that I lost that money. I decided I would never do that again with any ship.

From now on I plan to pay at the last minute for a NCL cruise. I the ship gets full I can always book another last minute cheapy cruise since I am retired and can cruise anytime.

I totally felt ripped off. I lost $640. That is the price of a 3 day cruise.

Since this is such an issue for a small minority of cruisers and appears on this board almost weekly, I wonder if NCL could try an additional category of bookings. Leave it the way it is for those that like it, but give the others a choice. Book a guaranty price, if it goes down you get the difference and if it goes up, they charge your credit card that difference. That way the guest and NCL could share the risk. Bet those that yell the loudest about not getting the lower prices would never sign up for a shared risk plan? For some the price they booked at is OK until they find out someone is getting a better deal, then they feel they are getting robbed. Why not share the risk, I'm sure NCL would be glad to accept the extra money!

We booked 10 months early as we usually do, when the last cabin in our category sold, it was for almost $500 per person more than we paid and are now sold out.

Now that's a great idea!

Amusing... I do not imagine people would embrace that booking option.

Seriously, I could undersatnd if they marketed something like Carnival's early saver that had restrictions/penalties balanced against the possibility of price reductions. Though that might not eliminate the complaints....I suspect some people would book the unrestricted fare then complain of unfair treatment when somebody else (who accepted the restrictions and penalties) got price reductions.

We have always booked with a NCL PCC at least nine months out and have chosen the cabins we wanted. I have never been unhappy with our choice or $ paid. Only once, on the Epic did we ask for and get changes: Upgrade was not possible as only higher cabin in category was sold out so we got on board credit instead that I was happy with.

I know it is the same with airlines. There are huge differences in prices of seats in the same category on any given flight. It is an industry accepted practice, just like the cruise industry. How many boards are there touting dislike of that fact? I don't know, but it seems just timing and chance to me. One can always cancel and take their vacation dollar elsewhere.

We all do want to spend our money wisely though, and I honor anyone who desires to do that.

I cruised SOLO and paid $1,200. for a Studio for Aug. 23rd. Then I paid $923. for the Aug. 30th for the same studio cabin. I was cruising BACK-back.

I found out that lots of singles were able to pay only $763. as a solo rate for a balcony. They were all super happy.

I felt cheated because I had paid full price. I was told by my travel agent that NCL would not give me OBC credit. I felt so bad because I had used a $250. PRE-PAID deposit to NCL on another cruise. I used that deposit for my Aug.23rd cruise. I felt that I lost that money. I decided I would never do that again with any ship.

From now on I plan to pay at the last minute for a NCL cruise. I the ship gets full I can always book another last minute cheapy cruise since I am retired and can cruise anytime.

If you had a TA they were doing a terrible job. If you booked this yourself it was up to you to check prices and see that solo balconies were less than your studio and contact NCL for a upgrade. I know on my cruise the prices have dropped since final payment and there are some people who have declined upgrades because they want to be in that area even though they could be upgraded for free or little cost.

We had booked an Alaskan Cruise with another couple. They did not purchase trip insurance and she got sick at the last minute and could not go. Carnival did not offer a refund as cruise was also paid in full, but did apply the cost of the cruise on any Carnival Cruise in the next 12 months. Something is better than nothing.

I doubt it will make you feel any better, but I bet others on your ship paid way more than you did while others paid less. It goes that way oftentimes.

If you are retired and timing is totally flexible, waiting to book last minute inexpensive cruises is a reasonable choice. When I retire, I hope to live within driving distance of ome cruise ports so I might avail myself of such opportunities.

Also next year remember some schools do not start until after labor day (state law here:eek:), so waiting until schools are all back in session might tend to yield lower prices.

As another poster mentioned, the time spent monitoring for potential upgrade opportunities sometimes pays off.

I tried getting an upgrade when the price dropped on our cruise that was paid for and was told no! It's for new customers only! I call that BS and will sail on NCL this once and go for another cruise line that has some better customer service for our next cruise!! I was actually told no the 3 times I called and asked and my husband was told no also! I don't think it's fair because they've had my money for about a year collecting interest and I get nothing!!! Hopefully the customer service on the ship is better than the rude people you get in reservations!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I tried getting an upgrade when the price dropped on our cruise that was paid for and was told no! It's for new customers only! I call that BS and will sail on NCL this once and go for another cruise line that has some better customer service for our next cruise!! I was actually told no the 3 times I called and asked and my husband was told no also! I don't think it's fair because they've had my money for about a year collecting interest and I get nothing!!! Hopefully the customer service on the ship is better than the rude people you get in reservations!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

there are sometimes offers made for new bookings only, so maybe that is what happened to you last month. Generally I have been able to get upgrades after final pyment.

water under the bridge now, so go and have a wonderful time.

It's not a small minority that feels this way and the dissatisfaction rate over price drops is growing. I hear more & more complaints on this topic.

Where are you conducting your survey? If you look at the posts on just this one link, you are a minority. The ones that complain about the cruise line policies are very vocal. If you look at the CC NCL pages only, less than 1 in 100 posts are about pricing and someones dissatisfaction with NCL's policy. Sounds pretty small to me.

How you can be happy with the price at booking and then so unhappy as cruise time approaches is beyond me.

And everyone seems to forget that most of the "mainstream" cruise lines have the same basic policy.