Live review from The Jewel of the Seas 9-13-14

Thanks for all the positive comments! I have appreciated all the effort others have invested in helping others on CC with reviews like this. After El Morro we went back to the hotel for to cool off in the pool and get some sun. Of course that is when the rain clouds rolled in and made that a short event. Then we changed and headed out for lunch. We ended up at Barrachinas! Patti had a Pina Colada which is claimed to be invented there.

_DSC2602_zps77e85feb.jpg

Then just walking around doing some shopping. The narrow blue cobblestone street with the colorful buildings make for great photography.

_DSC2604_zps21f5175d.jpg

_DSC2608_zpscc834a45.jpg

_DSC2617_zpsc234e9ae.jpg

Then it was back to hotel for a little nap and to rest our legs from all of the walking.

We decided to have a couple of drinks and dinner at Patio De Nispero. Talk about convenient it is only about 50 feet from our room.

_DSC2622_zpsc6e6c378.jpg

We had met some of the staff the day before and really could feel the passion they have for taking care of their customers. Luis and Pamela were behind the bar. Luis is the Bar Manager and Pamela is a student at the University and working at the hotel in an intern program. It was her third day.

_DSC2619_zps25f810d3.jpg _DSC2620_zpsdbacc5dd.jpg

After Luis served us some drinks that had no names (He likes to surprise you) we then were handed over to Mateo for our dinner.

One of our fellow Roll Call members recognized us from our avatar and came up to introduce themselves to us. It was great to meet Bob (the weatherman) and his wife Lorraine!

Here is Mateo with my dish for the night. Mofongo wrapped in skirt steak. It was superb!! Although the hotel restaurants are a bit spendy, the level of service makes the experience so worth it.

_DSC2624_zpse714fa85.jpg

After dinner we had dessert. Patti had a bread pudding with fruit and cinnamon ice cream and I had a chocolate cake with a coffee glaze. Both were again delicious. We also asked for coffee with dessert and to our surprise the creamer that we asked for was steamed. That was a first and wonderful touch. While we ate our meal a pianist and trumpet player were there playing which just added to the ambiance.

_DSC2628_zps3e0bdaa7.jpg

After dinner we retired to our room and I ended up falling asleep again at about 9:30PM Hence I am now up again at 4:00AM. The good news is it does give me time to keep the posts caught up.

Tomorrow we want to take a carriage ride through OSJ and a boat tour of the Harbor and well as we are having our first CC gathering here at the hotel. I think there will be 6 or 7 couples from our JOS trip meeting. After communicating for so long on CC it will be great to meet everyone in person.

More to come soon!

WOW - this is a wonderful review. Love the photos!

Would you do me a big favor after you board the ship, and let me know who the Cruise Director is for your sailing? Dennis is scheduled to handover to Carly this weekend, and I'd like confirmation of the change so I can update the list.

Thanks!!!

Would you do me a big favor after you board the ship, and let me know who the Cruise Director is for your sailing? Dennis is scheduled to handover to Carly this weekend, and I'd like confirmation of the change so I can update the list.

Thanks!!!

Sure... I will post to my thread tomorrow. It should list the CD in the compass shouldn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I took this yesterday morning as she was coming into port. I did some research and that is the only other ship we may see the entire trip. We are the only ship scheduled at each port! Good for crowds but will miss seeing the other ships.

e4a2de15-9884-4a7d-87f7-86c6d36ccce6_zpscc46359f.jpg

It has been a totally lazy day so far and our legs are sore from all the walking yesterday.:o We went to breakfast right outside our door again at about 9:30 and then to the pool for some sun. Now we are just hanging out trying to get ourselves talked into heading to the pier area to take the carriage ride. Maybe, :rolleyes:maybe not.

We have our Roll Call gathering here tonight at 5:30.

I will post more soon!

Edited by mefinephotoman
typo

Sure... I will post to my thread tomorrow. It should list the CD in the compass shouldn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes, it should be in the Compass, or on a separate sheet of paper listing all the officers.

Thanks a million!

Today we board the ship! Need to get everything packed and ready to go. We have met a nice couple here at the hotel and have talked about sharing a cab to the pier. But, while I have a minute I would like to review some of yesterday's events.

We did walk down to the port to take a carriage ride only to find out that they only run on days that ships are in. No ship, no carriage ride. So we walked around the port area for a while. Ended up stopping at Senior Froggy's for lunch. Even though it was nearly empty the staff made every effort to throw a party for those that were there.

_DSC2664_zpse5869302.jpg

_DSC2666_zpsa9df8e5f.jpg

We then just walked back to the hotel and stopped at a couple of plazas etc.

We then got ready for the evening with some of our fellow CC Roll Call members. We had a drink at El Convento and then went to Rosa De Triana for dinner.

El Convento has been fantastic as far as the level of service we have been provided. I give them a 10. In fact maybe I am a bit spoiled from it now.

We had a few issues with Rosa De Triana though. They looked like the had more customers than they could handle for the evening. I had made reservations for 12 people months ago and they gave us a table for 10 and put 2 of our guest at a different table away from us. Another big party came in shortly after we had placed our order and after that servers vanished. 2 of the 10 entrees didn't come out and there was no one serving us to even notice it.

The Flamenco Dancing was interesting but not worth ever going back for again.

I can't comment on the food because my entree was one that didn't show up. Also the owner was not gracious when I express my displeasure with the service we were given.

I would not recommend this establishment.

There are so many good options and I made a decision of where to have new friends dine based on reviews I had read. Hopefully this review will be informative for the next person looking for a great dining experience.

Here is an image of the Flamenco Dancers.

_DSC2818_zps14a6edd5.jpg

Well it has in most part been a fantastic couple of days in OSJ, but now it is time for cruising.

I will post more soon.

Sorry the dinner portion of last night wasn't so great but always nice to meet new friends isn't it? Guess I'm not so sorry we couldn't make it last night. See you on the ship.:)

It was great to put faces with names. We have great people in our roll call. As far as dinner last night it is water under the bridge and we move on to the next adventure! See you soon!

Thanks!!!

Compass says it's still Dennis Charles