Travel Irons

wolfsnare

Does anyone know if there is a plug for a travel iron in the cabin? I never really paid attention before, but I have a few linene things that I know are going to need some attention!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;4;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03 Victory 12/03 Golden Princess 4/04

Travel irons are not disallowed, regular irons are. Unfortunately, travel irons don't get nearly hot enough to iron anything. I have a travel steamer, it works great (Rowenta, on sale for $22). I steam out whatever needs it as we unpack, then put it away for the week. Others swear by Downey Wrinkle Release, I tried it once, didn't think it worked that well at all, plus it had a very strong odor (flowery). I've even read some people mist their clothes with water, or hang them in the bathroom during a shower and steam the wrinkles out.

If only I could afford to have everything pressed for me, that would be heaven.

Kathy

Hello All,

We have a Rowenta Verticle DA25 that irons and does verticle steam. I have used it for ironing and, although not as quick as our normal Rowenta iron, it does a good job. Retail seems to be about $30.

• RCCI Mariner of the Seas - We're getting closer...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;20;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 7 years later...

My combination iron/steamer was confiscated on our :eek:

Radiance of the Seas cruise in April 2010 for the

entire cruise. We were able to retrieve it after

disembarkation though. I plan to purchase a travel

steamer for the next time. :rolleyes:

Holy smokes... this may be the biggest bump I've ever seen. This thread was seven years ago! LOL

You're absolutely right - that's quite a while, huh?:)

However, many of us newcomers haven't read it before, and I for one would be interested in getting some recommendations as far as which brand of steamer is good. I think Rowenta still makes one, but any others?

My travel iron was confiscated on our November EPIC 2011 cruise. No longer allowed. I did notice that NCL had a special on ironing/pressing clothing on the first day. Did not discover this until half way through our cruise, otherwise I would have taken them up on their discounted offer.

Didn't really need to use mine anyway.

More than 7 years ago I may have packed a travel iron, but ships just don't allow irons to be brought aboard.

I have the Rowenta travel steamer, but it's so heavy and bulky and really doesn't do a very good job. I purchased another smaller one http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Voltage+Valet+CS2+Travel+Clothes+Steamer&pf_id=PAOHADEINFHJLNCC&dept_id=3268

and it does work better, but not all that much. I find it's just another "thing" to pack.

I have found t he very est way to avoid wrinkles is by packing in dry cleaner bags, a bag for every item. If you have to take along clothes that wrinkle, such as linen, put a dry cleaner bag over the hanger first and another one over the clothing item. We also pack clothes into a rolling garment bag rather than a suitcase.

It is odd to see such old threads resurrected, but I do see this question asked a lot on line specific boards. The answer is always the same and people get their britches in a wad over it, they are afraid a travel iron will start a fire onboard. My travel iron could not even burn my hand...it's useless. It's the power they draw from the system, not the heat of the iron. I think newer ships have better electrical systems, my travel blow dryer doesn't auto shutoff after a few minutes like it used to.

:confused:Why are these 2004 posts showing up today May 17, 2011?????

Because someone actually used the search feature on a topic that's discussed frequently, and then replied. It didn't just mysteriously float to the top.

Because someone actually used the search feature on a topic that's discussed frequently, and then replied. It didn't just mysteriously float to the top.

I couldn't resist replying concerning use of irons on a ship;

and I didn't even notice the original date for this particular

thread. :eek::D

After my combo iron/steamer was confiscated, it was worth

the $$ to have the various clothing items sent out and

pressed. They did a nice job! :)

Archived