freestyle dining question for Getaway

jillmom2

Considering an NCL cruise on the Getaway and have never experienced anything except traditional dining. My always starving teen boys want to know if you can dine in more than one restaurant in the same night. For example go early to something like teppanyaki and late to another specialty or traditional dining room instead of going to the buffet or other casual place. I suppose if you are paying to go to each one, they would not care...what if you are on ultimate dining plan? I am sure they really wont be able to do two dinners..lol!..but they still want to know if it is an option. Also are all the restaurant times like from 5-9pm or do any of them open earlier where you could do one for lunch and one for dinner? 1or 2 pm would be great then they could do dinner at 8pm or so?

Also I see there is an 10.00 upcharge for extra entrees but can you still order multiple appetizers or other menu items? While my boys and and I would love teppanyaki or Le Bistro..it would not be my husband's thing. Is there an alternate/always available menu like there is in traditional dining at most of the specialty places for those (picky people) who like basic food (like steak, chicken or seafood but plain, no sauces, spices, gravies..baked potato ..plain etc.) but would still like to dine with their family?

I know there is no formal night on NCL which my hubby and boys think is great..but is each restaurant always casual dress? For example Le Bistro do people dress up to go there or would khaki's and a polo be fine? What about dressy shorts for guys or women? How casual is casual? and is it fine no matter what restaurant you choose?

Sorry for so many questions but NCL was never on my radar before and now the ships look so interesting we want to try them..our next cruise right now is Oasis of the Seas and they will be switching to dynamic dining before we cruise...so it will prob. seem similar to Freestyle but they will have a dress code for some of their fancier restaurants. I don't want to have to pack formal wear just to try one restaurant...but I don't like not being able to choose that place because I dont want to dress up...NCL seems like the best of both worlds..

Yes, they can eat at more than one specialty restaurant in an evening.

Yes, more than one appetizer or other menu items can be ordered. The $10 charge for additional entrees only applies to Le Bistro and Cagney's.

Yes, khakis and polo would be fine any night in any restaurant, and the only restaurants that don't permit shorts are Tropicana Room and Le Bistro.

Sure. If you are going to a for-charge restaurant, they will probably charge you a second time, but for all the complimentary dining venues they won't care. There's also always a 24-hour place open, and room service is also free unless you order a whole pizza or the catering platters.

There is hardly ever a reason to be hungry on a cruise ship. :)

I have done this on several cruises - one of the many reasons why I love Freestyle cruising. Sometimes, I'll have an early dinner without dessert. Then, perhaps after the evening's show, I'll have dessert and coffee in a second venue (with or without another entree, depending on the menu). It's great having the flexibility to do something like this.

We did see a man in the Tropicana Room (standard MDR) "invited" to put a button up shirt on over his tank top and remove his fishing hat.

And while we did not get the UDP, I had appetizers only (an assortment) for dinner 2 nights. It was perfect for me.