Explorer review - Sept 6-11

CTNYER

Just got in from our 5 day Explorer of the Seas trip to Bermuda and figured I would post a review before the memories fade! I didn't post much about Bermuda, as I wanted to focus mostly on the ship. Before I begin, I'm generally not one to focus on the negatives. This cruise had a lot of them, however.

Embarkation: For us it was a breeze. We left CT at 8:30 am and arrived at the port around 10 am. We hopped out, dropped off our luggage and were placed in a line to board a shuttle to the ship. The shuttle ride is approximately 5 minutes. Once at the ship, we went through security and were on the ship by 11. A number of people we met who arrived at noon (RCCL's suggested arrival time) said they had to wait in about 45 minutes of traffic getting into the port.

I purchased the Ultimate Package for drinks, which I will probably do again. It cost $55 per day, and includes everything at the bar, including Red Bull and other non-alcoholic drinks. It also included Starbucks coffee, which I found to be disappointing because they don't have fresh brewed Starbucks - it's Americano style with espresso and water. I tried the Seattle's Best brewed coffee provided at no cost, and it was repulsive. There were serve yourself soda/juice machines around the ship (Promenade and Windjammer) for those who purchased the packages, which was excellent. I wondered how they knew the RCCL cup was there, but later found out there is a sensor at the bottom of the cup that the machine detects. One thing that really got me was observing passengers ordering a drink for themselves, walking away and handing it to their spouse, then coming right back and ordering their own. As someone who paid full price for both myself and my other half, I found that to be insulting to both other passengers and the cruise line.

Service on board the ship was extremely slow pretty much everywhere. I read about this in reviews and thought "it can't be THAT bad", but it was. Bar service: They had one bartender most days at each pool bar, who was left to serve the entire deck since nobody was walking around offering drinks. A few times, I had to wait at the bar for 20-30 minutes. I'm a patient person but, wow, this was not what I'm used to when on vacation. I felt awful for the lone bartender because rude passengers would make comments to him and, clearly, it's not his fault. Dining room service: We had the pleasure of being served by quite possibly the most miserable server at sea. He did not smile, he did not enjoy friendly conversation, and the last day, he did not join the other servers to sing (we don't care about the singing, but it was clear he just did not want to be there). The service was incredibly slow. Stateroom service: Amazing. Jarson was fantastic and went over the top to ensure our needs were met. The only issue we had was trying to get our clothes pressed for formal night - they arrived at 5:30 PM when dinner was at 6. A little too close for comfort.

Food was not great. Windjammer food was absolutely disgusting. I read previous reviews about how wonderful the Windjammer food was. No way. The burgers were dry, fries had a strange taste, and the pizza was soggy and awful. Dining room food was good. Not excellent, but good. Portion sizes were very small, and I asked a few times to have two meals brought to me. Room service food was decent. Johnny Rockets was very good, but it will cost you a bit.

Ship was nice, but she needs her dry dock soon. The public areas - with exception to the public bathrooms - were kept clean. The bathrooms were simply disgusting - I don't know if it's because of the passengers or the lack of crew to tackle the issue. The carpet in the stateroom hallways, and in the staterooms, need to be torn up. There were many stains on the carpet in our stateroom, but we had an inside room so we rarely spent time there anyway - it didn't bother us at all. I'm not sure why but, overnight, our stateroom became extremely hot. That being said, our room felt quite large for an inside, and the location was great!

Disembarkation was pretty easy. We did the express walk off at 8 AM. Carried our luggage out and in 30 minutes, we were off the ship.

Overall, the cruise was mediocre. I do feel on this ship, we were offered a subpar experience and in order to obtain good steak or good coffee, we had to pay extra. I will definitely cruise on RCCL again, but definitely not on the Explorer. The ship needs an overhaul.

Thanks for reading - any questions, comments, flames - just post!

Edited by CTNYER

I just realized this whole review sounds negative, so I'm going to post some positives!

-QUEST was awesome!

-We met some amazing tablemates who we're now great friends with.

-Sailing away/to the port with the view of Manhattan (especially on 9/11) is something to be remembered - it is fantastic.

-Our assistant waitress, Stephanie, was top notch.

-The muster drill was so easy...in lounges with NO lifejackets. Nice and cool, and comfortable.

-The hottubs on board are huge, and rarely full. This was a major plus, since I love soaking for a few after a huge meal.

Edited by CTNYER

I was on this same cruise. We did notice that a good portion of the crew was not very friendly, in fact short with people. I observed someone explaining to the bartender how he wanted his drink and the bartender said: "what are you going to do..tell me how to do my job?".

We had the flusher button on our toilet stop working the second night and maintenance sent someone up who worked from a door in the hall. Every time he finished they'd call and say it was fixed and I'd go to check it and it wasn't. Good luck calling them back as they then took the phone off the hook. Eventually I gave up and went to sleep. The next morning I got them through Guest Services and the Maint operator wouldn't even let me explain the problem. She cut me right off.

When I first saw the cruise director Keith..I thought he was so pompous. He kind of reminded me of Tim Gunn. As the week went on I kind of fell in love with him. He was really a good sport and and good Cruise Director. Although he had no chemistry with his assistant TT.

We had a fabulous wait staff in the Columbus My Time DR. They were assigned to us the first night so I made reservations for the rest of the week so we can have them. The Reservation girl was so good to us.

The entertainment on this cruise was the best I've ever seen! The magician was great, the headliner...Tim Timmons was so great that he kept getting standing ovations. My head hurt from laughing with the comedian the last night. I think his name was Kelly McDonald.

I finally made it to Quest. This was my 8th cruise and I've never been able to stay awake. But we stayed up for the 70's party and enjoyed it so much and then we went down to Studio B for Quest. I'm glad we went. It was so much fun.

The ice show was the best I've seen yet.

The ship is old and needs to be refurbished as soon as possible. My stateroom had such an old mirror that I kept thinking it was dirty and kept trying to clean it. It wasn't...it was scratched and old. It also didn't help that the cabin was kind of dusty around the TV.

I also want to say the service in Johnny Rockets in horrendous.

I would say that the positives did outweigh the negatives and it was a good cruise.

Edited by NYGirl1002

I was on this same cruise. We did notice that a good portion of the crew was not very friendly, in fact short with people. I observed someone explaining to the bartender how he wanted his drink and the bartender said: "what are you going to do..tell me how to do my job?".

Right? The pool bar crew are usually the highlight of the cruise but, on our August 23rd sailing when I asked for a "virgin" bloody Mary he made 2 regular bloody Mary's and scolded me that I should have said a "virgin" Mary????

And since I had a select package (beer) sticker he would not even let me pay for the alcohol he just wanted to throw away the drinks! Well I didn't go there again and I made sure and commented on how the staff are overwhelmed and miserable on my survey when I got home!

We had the flusher button on our toilet stop working the second night and maintenance sent someone up who worked from a door in the hall. Every time he finished they'd call and say it was fixed and I'd go to check it and it wasn't. Good luck calling them back as they then took the phone off the hook. Eventually I gave up and went to sleep. The next morning I got them through Guest Services and the Maint operator wouldn't even let me explain the problem. She cut me right off.

The same thing happened to our toilet! We called and she explained it was a problem they were having on our side of the ship (deck 6, forward). I don't know how long it lasted because we left the room and it was working when we came back a few hours later.

We were on the same cruise (9-6) Our toilet stopped also but was fixed when we got back from breakfast. Our cabin attendant was great.....in every way.

It was a last minute cruise so got an inside on deck 9. No complaints about the cabin, everything was perfect.......clean, no stains.....nothing broken...bed ok.....no mold in bathroom. As soon as we left the cabin it was made up...fresh ice always there.:)

I had the Replenish package and enjoyed it. My DH had the beer and wine and cancelled it the second day.

The sewage smell was horrible aft on deck 4&5. The bartenders in the Champagne Bar were miserable. We enjoyed the Royal V. Dizzies and spent most drinking times there.

Food was not good anywhere except Portofinos.

Disembarkation was a zoo:mad:

It is not all that unusual for the toilet to not flush. It happens because some people are pigs and basically ignorant. They put stuff in the toilet that should not be there and try to flush it down. The stuff clogs up the pipes and causes all of the toilets on the line to fail. They will continue to fail to flush until maintenance tracks down where the clog is and cleans it out.

Sorry that some people felt they had a 'lousy cruise'. We had a great time and had no complaints. We ate in the dining room once, WJ twice and other places on the ship or shore the rest of the time. Food and service was great. The cabin was kept up nicely and I guess I had my 'rose tinted' glasses on, because I did not see the dirty places others claim to have seen. I guess I just have a positive outlook on life and am not easily "offended".

Edited by edjny

We were on the same cruise (9-6) Our toilet stopped also but was fixed when we got back from breakfast. Our cabin attendant was great.....in every way.

It was a last minute cruise so got an inside on deck 9. No complaints about the cabin, everything was perfect.......clean, no stains.....nothing broken...bed ok.....no mold in bathroom. As soon as we left the cabin it was made up...fresh ice always there.:)

I had the Replenish package and enjoyed it. My DH had the beer and wine and cancelled it the second day.

The sewage smell was horrible aft on deck 4&5. The bartenders in the Champagne Bar were miserable. We enjoyed the Royal V. Dizzies and spent most drinking times there.

Food was not good anywhere except Portofinos.

We had what we thought was an awful sewage smell in our hallway, however I realized it was a terrible musty smell. They shampooed the carpets on day 2 and 4.

It is not all that unusual for the toilet to not flush. It happens because some people are pigs and basically ignorant. They put stuff in the toilet that should not be there and try to flush it down. The stuff clogs up the pipes and takes out a lot of toilets on the line. They will continue to fail to flush until maintenance tracks down where the clog is and cleans it out.

Sorry that some people felt they had a 'lousy cruise'. We had a great time and had no complaints. We ate in the dining room once, WJ twice and other places on the ship or shore the rest of the time. Food and service was great. The cabin was kept up nicely and I guess I had my 'rose tinted' glasses on, because I did not see the dirty places others claim to have seen. I guess I just have a positive outlook on life and am not easily "offended".

This is my review and I did not say I had a lousy cruise or that places around the ship were dirty. The cruise was good and gave us the R&R needed! I feel I pointed out the good with the bad. The worst for me was the food in the Windjammer - actually the WJ food was good on embarkation day, from there it trailed off. Again, MDR good, but portion sizes very small - much smaller than the Mariner and Serenade.

Just because people point out the bad with the good does not mean they don't have a positive outlook on life. That was a very rude comment.

Edited by CTNYER

We had a low luggage number (one). We entered the ship elevator to disembark at 9:15am. There was a short delay on deck one waiting for the shuttle buses. We were told that people on the shore took a few minutes to pause for the 9-11 memorial. After they started back to work, it went fast. We were through customs, got to the waiting shuttle van to Premier Parking and were getting into our car by 10:00am.

You want to get out of the ship as early as you can to avoid the backups as the 'masses' pile out and bunch up. If you have a higher luggage number and can not get a lower one, you might be better to self-disembark.

We had a low luggage number (one). We entered the ship elevator to disembark at 9:15am. There was a short delay on deck one waiting for the shuttle buses. We were told that people on the shore took a few minutes to pause for the 9-11 memorial. After they started back to work, it went fast. We were through customs, got to the waiting shuttle van to Premier Parking and were getting into our car by 10:00am.

You want to get out of the ship as early as you can to avoid the backups as the 'masses' pile out and bunch up. If you have a higher luggage number and can not get a lower one, you might be better to self-disembark.

We did the self-disembark and yes, they halted customs operations twice to pause and remember 9/11. They stopped the shuttle bus while en-route the first time and we were in line the second time at customs while they did this, and not one person who knew what was going on complained. The vast majority of people around us took time to pause as well. It only lasted about a minute each.

Edited by CTNYER

Again, MDR good, but portion sizes very small - much smaller than the Mariner and Serenade.

Just because people point out the bad with the good does not mean they don't have a positive outlook on life. That was a very rude comment.

I did not say or mean that you did not have a positive outlook. I said that "I" have a positive outlook.....

As far as the MDR portions go, they are usually relatively small. They are that way for a reason. If you observe your fellow diners, you will see that a lot of people order things, take a taste or two and leave the rest. They give small portions to limit the waste that occurs. If I am hungary and want more, I just ask the waiter to bring two or more entrees. I either get the same entree or try two different ones. Or if I am not particuliarly hungary, I appreciate the smaller portion. One of the reasons I am overweight is that I was raised to never leave food on the plate... Something about 'starving' people and not to waste food.... :D

CTNYER we were on deck 7 forward. This was Sunday night.

We self embarked and it was great. We left the ship around 8:30 and I was home before 9:00

On Saturday we got to the port around 9:30 and it was the easiest embarkation ever. We were on board around 11. I found it very organized. Other people who got there later complained of lots of traffic.

The forwards elevators had a terrible musty smell and there was a small area on the way from my cabin to the elevators that smelled like sewage. A couple of people whose cabins were on my deck complained.

I agree about bartenders in champagne bar. My sister in law wanted a glass of a certain brand of champagne and he kept quoting the price like she couldn't afford it. She kept saying its fine.

I too had a great cruise and I'm also pointing out the good and the bad.

We were on the same sailing and I will offer our observations. We cruised in March on the same ship and the crew was outstanding....when we cruised this past week we noticed many of the March crew was gone....either on their break or already on another ship.

We arrived at the port about 11:00 a.m. and waited in traffic for about 10 minutes. Once we off loaded our luggage, we walked right to security, waited maybe one to two minutes and then onto getting our sea pass card. Once we got our card and had our photos taken, we walked right out to the bus and to the ship. Onboard ship and walking around shortly thereafter. We were in a suite so after walking around the ship a bit, we went to Portofino's and set up for lunch. You can get food from the Windjammer and bring it to the restaurant for lunch if you are in a suite. This was great for us because my husband is disabled and it kept him away from the crowds and them away from him.

Our suite was clean and our cabin steward, Adolph, was amazing. He came in each night while we were at dinner and turned down the sofa for our daughter who was traveling with us. Each morning when we were at breakfast he would turn the stateroom back to his normal daytime condition. There were a few rust spots on the balcony, but the ship has been sailing 24/7 from the east coast year round. We saw maintenance painting the side of the ship during port days. One comment I asked my husband was "how many coats of paint do you think are on this ship"...too many to count. Our cabin was in good condition...there was a spot under the makeup table where the carpet is separating and, yes, the carpet in the entire ship needs to be replaced. The first day we were in Bermuda we were advised they would be coming into the cabin to re-silicone the shower stall. Upon returning from breakfast, maintenance was already there. We asked him to leave for about 15 minutes so we could use the facilities, etc., before we headed ashore. He complied without issue and when we returned later in the day, there was a note in our bathroom door to please not use the shower until 3:30 p.m. No problem for us as we didn't return until after 4.

Sitting in the Champagne Bar and looking toward the elevators, I could see where there was some water damage in the veneer/wood between the bar and the elevators. I mentioned this in our survey just so they can take care of it during dry dock. Yes, the ship needs some TLC but the condition did not affect our cruise.

We met no unhappy staff. Everyone we saw in the halls or around public areas said hello and always helpful. Having said that, my DH and I agreed...aside from our cabin steward, there was no outstanding staff. In March we had such excellent service from everyone we were kind of surprised this time around. Keep in mind we didn't have a bad time, just not a WOW time as far as staff is concerned.

We ate in the dining room three of the five nights. One night we ordered dinner in our suite and one night in the Windjammer. We were always able to find food to meet our needs in the Windjammer. Some food I wouldn't eat, but we always found some thing to eat. The staff in the Windjammer did not look happy but never mistreated us. We did see some passengers who were quite snarky to the staff...we are always polite to anyone who assisted us. My daughter works as a server while in college so she interacted with the staff a bit more than we normally do. The dining room staff was okay. Our waitress was knowledgeable but seemed very busy. Our Assistant Waiter was very good but stumbled on a few things....again nothing that ruined our cruise. Portion size for my daughter and myself were fine. DH would sometimes order two apps instead of one, but overall, we were full after every meal.

One thing I will say, if you have MTD, please don't just sit at your table for no reason. Two nights we had 7:45 reservations and had to wait for our table because the previous family sat after dinner and didn't leave. The last evening, we were told upon arrival that they had finished their meal but had not yet left the table. After 20 minutes, and numerous apologies from the head waiters, my husband asked if they would like him to go mention it was time to leave the table (in a joking way).

Bar service - we spent most of our time in the Solarium Pool area and never had an issue getting a drink. Chair hogs were in full swing on sea days, but we were always able to find a chair somewhere so it didn't bother us too much.

Having seen the ice show in March, we passed on it this time, but we did go to one production show and it was entertaining. Our daughter attended a few more shows with some new friends she met onboard and they said they were good to just okay.

Getting off the ship was a log jam due to the bus situation. We were in group #1, after the walkoffs. The problem is they called numbers 1-5 as we were exiting the elevators and there was a backup getting off the ship as there were crowds waiting for the bus...It sounds worse that it actually was in retrospect....we walked off the ship at 9:30 a.m., took the bus, got our luggage, went through customs, met up with our driver and were home by 11:00 a.m. so I guess 1.5 hours ship deck to home really isn't that bad.

All in all.....yes Bayonne needs a replacement ship for the Explorer. She was a fine ship and served this area well, but she needs some TLC and I believe she will get a new crew after dry dock. I think right now there is a mish-mosh of crew just onboard until it leaves this area and goes to Port Canaveral. Many of the staff are relocating to other ships after their up coming breaks so I don't think the staff onboard now are as cohesive as they were in March....not a bad crew.....just not a WOW crew at this time.

This area needs a larger ship than the Voyager class....I do believe the Freedom class (Liberty next summer) and the Quantum class (Anthem) once installed will provide a facelift to those cruising out of Bayonne. The new cruise terminal is coming along. Again, no WOW factor in the facility. It appears to be a prefab metal structure and will fit into the industrial area there just fine. The fact that passengers will be able to transition from the terminal right onto the new ships in the near future will help the flow of passengers to and from the ship.

All in all, it was a good cruise for us because that is what we made of it. We went knowing the ship's age and that it is due for dry dock. The maintenance crew we met were working on the ship continuously but it is true that the Explorer needs major TLC attention. Once she's out of dry dock, I would not hesitate to sail on her once again.

I did not say or mean that you did not have a positive outlook. I said that "I" have a positive outlook.....

As far as the MDR portions go, they are usually relatively small. They are that way for a reason. If you observe your fellow diners, you will see that a lot of people order things, take a taste or two and leave the rest. They give small portions to limit the waste that occurs. If I am hungary and want more, I just ask the waiter to bring two or more entrees. I either get the same entree or try two different ones. Or if I am not particuliarly hungary, I appreciate the smaller portion. One of the reasons I am overweight is that I was raised to never leave food on the plate... Something about 'starving' people and not to waste food.... :D

This was my 17th cruise and the one with the smallest portions in the MDR. Normally I would not care since I know I can order two entrees, however our MDR waiter said the first few nights... "I'll have to check first". By the time he "checked" and came back to ask what I wanted, everyone at the table had finished their meal so I wasn't going to hold up our table mates or my group. By the 4th night, I just ordered both without asking if it was okay.

My other half said "look at it this way, more room in your stomach for a midnight room service order!". And I agreed. :D

You do realize that the ship is going in for a 6 week dry dock in the spring?

I booked my cruise not expecting the ship to look new and won't complain about it when I go in 2 weeks

Yes, I realize that. I was not complaining, merely stating my observations. Thank you for your input.:)

Again, MDR good, but portion sizes very small - much smaller than the Mariner and Serenade.

I don't know if everyone knows this - or might just be too embarrassed to ask - but you're not limited to just one entree in the MDR.

My wife and I didn't know about it either until it was lobster night and one of our table mates asked for three servings of the lobster. Provided that there's enough for everyone to get at least one order, the remainder are there for the asking.

This was on the Explorer, too.

I don't know if everyone knows this - or might just be too embarrassed to ask - but you're not limited to just one entree in the MDR.

My wife and I didn't know about it either until it was lobster night and one of our table mates asked for three servings of the lobster. Provided that there's enough for everyone to get at least one order, the remainder are there for the asking.

This was on the Explorer, too.

Yes, I'm aware. This is my second time on Explorer and I'm a top tier C&A member. See my other reply here on why it was not to my satisfaction:

This was my 17th cruise and the one with the smallest portions in the MDR. Normally I would not care since I know I can order two entrees, however our MDR waiter said the first few nights... "I'll have to check first". By the time he "checked" and came back to ask what I wanted, everyone at the table had finished their meal so I wasn't going to hold up our table mates or my group. By the 4th night, I just ordered both without asking if it was okay.

My other half said "look at it this way, more room in your stomach for a midnight room service order!". And I agreed. :D

Edited by CTNYER

I agree completely with scooter. We cruised her a few weeks ago. It was my 4th time on her. I knew that she wasnt gonna be perfect. I had no problems with any of the crew tho. Thats un-acceptable for them to be sub-par. It still remains my favorite ship. I hope after its dry-dock everything is back to where it should be. I must say that I am really looking forward to cruising Liberty next August tho.

Guest maddycat

When I first saw the cruise director Keith..I thought he was so pompous. He kind of reminded me of Tim Gunn. As the week went on I kind of fell in love with him. He was really a good sport and and good Cruise Director. Although he had no chemistry with his assistant TT.

We had a fabulous wait staff in the Columbus My Time DR. They were assigned to us the first night so I made reservations for the rest of the week so we can have them. The Reservation girl was so good to us.

The entertainment on this cruise was the best I've ever seen! The magician was great, the headliner...Tim Timmons was so great that he kept getting standing ovations. My head hurt from laughing with the comedian the last night. I think his name was Kelly McDonald.

I finally made it to Quest. This was my 8th cruise and I've never been able to stay awake. But we stayed up for the 70's party and enjoyed it so much and then we went down to Studio B for Quest. I'm glad we went. It was so much fun.

The ice show was the best I've seen yet.

The ship is old and needs to be refurbished as soon as possible. My stateroom had such an old mirror that I kept thinking it was dirty and kept trying to clean it. It wasn't...it was scratched and old. It also didn't help that the cabin was kind of dusty around the TV.

I also want to say the service in Johnny Rockets in horrendous.

I would say that the positives did outweigh the negatives and it was a good cruise.

I hope that you mention all of the above when you complete the survey that will be emailed to you. By doing so, RCI can improve the service on the Explorer.

We're sailing on the Explorer next month. We've sailed on her many times and have always found the crew to be very friendly and accommodating. We know that it is a 14 yr. old ship so we overlook the small imperfections. We've always found the ship to be very clean and well maintained.

On our last Explorer cruise we also had trouble with the plumbing. It was out of order quite frequently for a day and a night. This isn't the crews fault, but rather, it is due to passengers who flush items that don't belong in the toilet. When the system is blocked an entire section of cabins is effected. I really wish that they would call the cabins or deliver notes to the affected cabins to remind passengers to only put toilet paper in the toilet.

I did mention everything in my survey. I don't care that the ship is old. I liked it.

As far as the plumbing it would have been nice to have been warned. It happened at night and I'm a senior and my daughter is special needs. It would have been impossible to go to a public restroom especially when 90% of the stalls were locked. I was more annoyed that Maintenance took their phone off the hook.

Guest maddycat
I did mention everything in my survey. I don't care that the ship is old. I liked it.

As far as the plumbing it would have been nice to have been warned. It happened at night and I'm a senior and my daughter is special needs. It would have been impossible to go to a public restroom especially when 90% of the stalls were locked. I was more annoyed that Maintenance took their phone off the hook.

I would be annoyed as well. I never bother with maintenance when I have a problem. I always contact guest services.