Port Of Charleston UPGRADE

cbhbutler

maybe this will help a little bit with Charleston....maybe if they start here itll help the cruise section

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 10, 2014

SC Ports Authority Awarded $10.8 Million TIGER Grant

Charleston, S.C.- SC Ports Authority has been awarded a 10.8 million dollar Transportation Infrastructure Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant for planned upgrades and improvements to its Wando Welch Terminal.

"We are deeply appreciative for the support of our Congressional delegation and the Obama Administration, who were instrumental in elevating the visibility of our port, an important asset to South Carolina and the entire nation," said Bill Stern, SCPA Board Chairman. "The Wando Terminal improvements ensure that the SCPA has the infrastructure necessary to handle growing import and export cargo volumes on a new generation of ocean vessels, supporting US trade goals and our nation's role in international commerce."

The US Department of Transportation grant represents nearly 13 percent of the total estimated cost for upgrading the SCPA's busiest container terminal. The project includes upgrades to structural support of the wharf and fendering system, as well as modifications to crane rails to accommodate two new super-post-Panamax cranes on order for the terminal.

"This announcement couldn't be more timely, given the information shared by industry experts at this week's SC International Trade Conference," said Jim Newsome, SCPA president and CEO. "The prevailing sentiment throughout the maritime community and supporting industries is that ports are facing significant infrastructure improvement needs. It is clear that post-Panamax vessels are the new standard and that port competitiveness is and will continue to be driven by the ability to accommodate big ships."

Construction on the project will begin in the spring of 2015 and will be completed in two or two and a half years, followed by the Post-45 Harbor Deepening Project and the opening of a new SCPA container terminal on the former Navy Base by the end of the decade.

Edited by cbhbutler

It sounds like the money will be used to upgrade the facilities used by the container ships. If I read it right, doesn't seem like it will effect the Cruise Terminal. There are talks on building a new Cruise Terminal, but the process has been slow.

It's my understanding that although a laundry list of lawsuits were tossed out recently, that it also requires that a new EIS be undertaken and the permitting process be gone through all over again. Basically they are having to start over from scratch. A new EIS could take years. Nothing will be happening any time soon.

It's my understanding that although a laundry list of lawsuits were tossed out recently, that it also requires that a new EIS be undertaken and the permitting process be gone through all over again. Basically they are having to start over from scratch. A new EIS could take years. Nothing will be happening any time soon.

Something that all the "old money" people in Charleston were well aware of. This small group does not want Carnival there and has done everything they can to get rid of them.

Some of their comments about the cruiseship passengers have been quite snobby and rude. Funny tho......the stores and restaurants LOVE the cruisers......:p

Edited by GTO-Girl

Something that all the "old money" people in Charleston were well aware of. This small group does not want Carnival there and has done everything they can to get rid of them.

Some of their comments about the cruiseship passengers have been quite snobby and rude. Funny tho......the stores and restaurants LOVE the cruisers......:p

There is some validity to it. Having lived near Gatlinburg, TN, you really don't want your town to turn into one big t-shirt and airbrush artist shop. If your business is selling cheap junk, that is great. But if you are looking for people with more sophisticated tastes and deeper pockets then you have to be careful.

There is some validity to it. Having lived near Gatlinburg, TN, you really don't want your town to turn into one big t-shirt and airbrush artist shop. If your business is selling cheap junk, that is great. But if you are looking for people with more sophisticated tastes and deeper pockets then you have to be careful.

Are saying that Carnival cruisers are not sophisticated and do not have deep pockets?

Are saying that Carnival cruisers are not sophisticated and do not have deep pockets?

As a group and in comparison to other cruise lines? Yes.

Are there exceptions, of course there are.

I will freely admit price is partly why I have booked Carnival. Everyone I knew when I started had gone on Carnival, so I went with what they recommended. I enjoyed it and when I look at the price of other lines in comparison I keep going back to Carnival because it is cheaper and I have enjoyed all my past cruises. No need to spend more on a competitor as long as I'm happy with Carnival.

Edited by bruadhin

I used to like the T-shirt and airbrush shops in Gatlinburg, but our last trip there, it seemed like all of the shops in town were now run by surly middle easterners. It's not the middle easterners that I had a problem with, per se. It was the surly. I call Gatlinburg, Little Baghdad, now. I doubt seriously if we will ever go back there.

I used to like the T-shirt and airbrush shops in Gatlinburg, but our last trip there, it seemed like all of the shops in town were now run by surly middle easterners. It's not the middle easterners that I had a problem with, per se. It was the surly. I call Gatlinburg, Little Baghdad, now. I doubt seriously if we will ever go back there.

Interesting, most were Indian when we left.

I got so tired of seeing cheap t-shirts and airbrush art for sale. I knew a few of the shop owners. They were nice enough people, they simply were selling what the people want and bought. If the tourists had bought fine china, expensive wine and silk dresses, they would have stocked those instead. But, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were attracting were people who bought t-shirts, novelty license plates and airbrushed items.

Interesting, most were Indian when we left.

I got so tired of seeing cheap t-shirts and airbrush art for sale. I knew a few of the shop owners. They were nice enough people, they simply were selling what the people want and bought. If the tourists had bought fine china, expensive wine and silk dresses, they would have stocked those instead. But, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge were attracting were people who bought t-shirts, novelty license plates and airbrushed items.

Maybe they were Indian. I just remember their surly attitudes. We felt less than welcome in the stores. Definitely not candidates for Chamber of Commerce poster children. LOL. We still enjoy Pigeon Forge a lot. Just won't waste the time to stroll the "strip" in Gatlinburg anymore.

Maybe they were Indian. I just remember their surly attitudes. We felt less than welcome in the stores. Definitely not candidates for Chamber of Commerce poster children. LOL. We still enjoy Pigeon Forge a lot. Just won't waste the time to stroll the "strip" in Gatlinburg anymore.

Did you encounter women or men? I did notice, their wives were not nearly as nice as their husbands.

After seeing how much Gatlinburg changed over the years I can understand your feelings because it is not a pretty sight......BUT this has always been about a small group who tries to control everything in Charleston with an "iron fist". They have old money and a lot of it. This group has pulled out all the stops to keep Carnival from even being able to build a nice terminal.

To say that people on Carnival might not be "sophisticated" enough sounds a bit snobby to me. Since the same shops/restaurants are there that have always been there then how does the Carnival cruisers spending their money in those establishments change anything?

I'm sorry but I just don't get what you are saying......or maybe I do.....:rolleyes:

After seeing how much Gatlinburg changed over the years I can understand your feelings because it is not a pretty sight......BUT this has always been about a small group who tries to control everything in Charleston with an "iron fist". They have old money and a lot of it. This group has pulled out all the stops to keep Carnival from even being able to build a nice terminal.

To say that people on Carnival might not be "sophisticated" enough sounds a bit snobby to me. Since the same shops/restaurants are there that have always been there then how does the Carnival cruisers spending their money in those establishments change anything?

I'm sorry but I just don't get what you are saying......or maybe I do.....:rolleyes:

Sounds rather like Gatlinburg, except their old money is less sophisticated. Their ancestors just happened to have the right farm when the national park was created. FYI, I'm not from that area, I just happened to live there for a few years. Most of the old money only still had it because big business hadn't moved in yet. Just as an example, there were almost no regional or national banks in the county. They did not trust the real estate market and did not want to be stuck lending in that area.

You can call it snobbish if you want, time will tell. Isn't Carnival using a smaller ship there, so they probably aren't change the dynamic all that much yet. Also, I would venture most cruisers are already from the area, versus tourists coming from far away.

I wouldn't look for Carnival to be making many waves in the community by bringing in a larger ship or anything that might stir things up again. I think things will remain largely unchanged in Charleston for the foreseeable future.

Edited by EZ4

Have suggested that the powers that be in NCDOT look to expand the port at Morehead City into a cruise capability using Radio Island. No takers. So the revenue goes to SC. Darn.

Love this idea! As someone else said, Bermuda would be a hop, skip, and jump away...well, maybe a wave away. Who do we write to about this?

The DH and I took NCL out of Charleston when for a brief moment in time they offered a cruise to Bermuda from that port. It was years ago but it was not the best set-up at the time. However since we have family in Charleston I already volunteered to the DH that I would be willing to test another cruise from there. ;)

Meaning that most of those SNOBs (Slightly North of Broadway) probably haven't done a day's work in their life as they are living off grandpappy's money! :(