Someone clear this up for me, Re: $250 future cruise credit

pokerpro5

On every NCL cruise, you have the option to buy a future cruise credit of $250, and then get $100 OBC for doing so.

Their marketing seemed misleading, as it claimed you would get a $250 charge to your stateroom account for this cruise credit, and then they would "give you $100 OBC, thus making the charge $150."

But I don't believe it.

Can you really use the $100 OBC to pay for the $250 future cruise credit, essentially making it $150?

Or are you forced to spend at least $100 further on the ship to cash in that OBC?

Can it be used for DSC?

I didn't bother to do this, despite the fact that I knew I would be cruising again in 2015. This is because I made a grand total of $38 charges to my stateroom while onboard, aside from DSC. Since I knew I wouldn't be spending $100, I didn't bother.

But maybe I made a mistake.

You buy the Freestyle Cruise Reward for $250 and get an immediate shipboard credit of $100 for a net charge of $150. There is NO NEED whatsoever to spend another dime. If you charge nothing else, you will simply owe the $150 at the end of the cruise.

It should really be promoted as a discount ($250 item for $150) but they promote it as $100 OBC so that people will think they have an "extra" $100 to spend.

Yes, paying $150 for a $250 value deposit on a future cruise is a good deal if you are planning on a cruise within a year or two on NCL. We have used the FCR's several times. You can also find them on ebay when people aren't able to use them within the 4 year time limit.

Edited by herdingdogmom

It seems they have changed this. The $100 on board credit is now for your next cruise. So you no longer get the discount on your current cruise, you will pay the entir $250. But on your next cruise (where you'll use the voucher) you get $100 onboard credit.

Get $100 to spend on board your upcoming cruise by reserving a future cruise.

Now that you're booked, make your next vacation with Norwegian Cruise Line even more rewarding. Place a $250 deposit on a future cruise through our Cruise Rewards program, and well give you an extra $100 to spend any way you like on your upcoming Norwegian cruise.* Discover adventure with an exciting Shore Excursion. Or pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment. Either way, Cruise Rewards will let you make the most of your upcoming vacation. Get ready to Cruise Like a Norwegian®.

It seems they have changed this. The $100 on board credit is now for your next cruise. So you no longer get the discount on your current cruise, you will pay the entir $250. But on your next cruise (where you'll use the voucher) you get $100 onboard credit.

Now that you're booked, make your next vacation with Norwegian Cruise Line even more rewarding. Place a $250 deposit on a future cruise through our Cruise Rewards program, and we’ll give you an extra $100 to spend any way you like on your upcoming Norwegian cruise.* Discover adventure with an exciting Shore Excursion. Or pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment. Either way, Cruise Rewards will let you make the most of your upcoming vacation. Get ready to Cruise Like a Norwegian®.

Nope, the terms for onboard purchases are still the same (instant $100 OBC).

http://www.ncl.com/popup/cruise_rewards_terms

http://www.ncl.eu/helpful-information/faqs/#cruise-rewards

http://www.ncl.co.uk/cruise-rewards/

There has been a program where one would be able to buy a reward after the cruise and with that the OBC for the cruise that is booked with the reward was (at least originally) $75.

Also, the text quoted makes a difference between "upcoming cruise" and "future cruise" so I think that the text quoted actually is just a promotion for people to buy the FCR and get the OBC on their "upcoming" cruise and then use the FCR for a "future" cruise.

Now that you're booked, make your next vacation with Norwegian Cruise Line even more rewarding. Place a $250 deposit on a future cruise through our Cruise Rewards program, and we’ll give you an extra $100 to spend any way you like on your upcoming Norwegian cruise.* Discover adventure with an exciting Shore Excursion. Or pamper yourself with a luxurious spa treatment. Either way, Cruise Rewards will let you make the most of your upcoming vacation. Get ready to Cruise Like a Norwegian®.

This is a different program than the one being discussed.

This offer is post-booking, pre-boarding....encouraging you to book a 2nd one, with an OBC on the first one.

The offer we're discussing is only offered while already onboard, and the credit is applied immediately. I usually buy these 3 or 4 at a time.

You buy the Freestyle Cruise Reward for $250 and get an immediate shipboard credit of $100 for a net charge of $150. There is NO NEED whatsoever to spend another dime. If you charge nothing else, you will simply owe the $150 at the end of the cruise.

It should really be promoted as a discount ($250 item for $150) but they promote it as $100 OBC so that people will think they have an "extra" $100 to spend.

Ok, I'm pretty dense sometime....:confused:

I understand you'll get $100 OBC but what is the charge that will come off your credit card or on board account, $250.00 correct.

Edited by sunflower47

I doubt it helps omebody who expects to be comped in the future by CAS, but for the rest of us it is great...$150 net. and that $150 is a good way to use other OBC if one has extra.

It does. I purchase them all the time. When CAS comps me a cruise and I choose to accept what room they give me and not upgrade (which is what I always do) I can use my FCC of $250.00 towards what is due.....which it port charges, taxes and fees.

Harriet

To be clear as it was explained to me.

First when onboard a cruise I book a future cruise (good for 2 years) for $250.00 charged to my account.

Second I receive $100.00 OBC to spend on board (non-refundable).

Third after my cruise I book a trip next year with the deposit of $250.00 only. No need to pay anything else until final payment.

Is this correct? If so and I don't cruise NCL for awhile will the $250.00 be refunded to me? On Princess if I didn't use it (of course I did) they would refund my FCC money which was $100.00 for each of us. So our trip next May cost only $200.00 as a deposit which I now have as OBC :).

Thanks

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

If so and I don't cruise NCL for awhile will the $250.00 be refunded to me?
No, you will lose it. The FCR is transferable, though, so you can give it to someone else, or try to sell it to someone who can use it before it expires. And unless things have changed, you have 4 years to use the credit, not 2. Edited by hawkeyetlse

To be clear as it was explained to me.

First when onboard a cruise I book a future cruise (good for 2 years) for $250.00 charged to my account.

FCRs are good for four years, not two. Also, as you later state correctly, you do not book a cruise while onboard but only purchase the FCR. On other cruise lines you can book the actual cruise while onboard, NCL doesn't have this option (however one can use the internet for free to access ncl.com while onboard).

Second I receive $100.00 OBC to spend on board (non-refundable).

Third after my cruise I book a trip next year with the deposit of $250.00 only. No need to pay anything else until final payment.

Is this correct?

Yes, correct as long as you are booking regular cabins and not high-end suites (you'd need to pay actual money for those in addition to FCR's $250 value).

Also you will have 30 days to "return" the FCR but even then you will only get back what you actually paid which is $250-$100=$150. After 30 days your only option to get rid of the FCR is to use it, let it expire or sell/transfer it to another person.

It does. I purchase them all the time. When CAS comps me a cruise and I choose to accept what room they give me and not upgrade (which is what I always do) I can use my FCC of $250.00 towards what is due.....which it port charges, taxes and fees.

Harriet

Thanks for the info. I never expect to be comped by CAS, but it is good to know that the FCC's benefit those that do.

Ok, I'm pretty dense sometime....:confused:

I understand you'll get $100 OBC but what is the charge that will come off your credit card or on board account, $250.00 correct.

No, the final charge to your on board account from this FCR transaction will be $150. ( $250 charge minus $100 credit =$150 charge ). The FCR is still worth the full $250 when you book your next cruise.

Yes, correct as long as you are booking regular cabins and not high-end suites (you'd need to pay actual money for those in addition to FCR's $250 value).

I'm not sure how you're defining high-end suites, but I have held the upgrade to Haven suites with the FCR and no additional money until final payment in the past.

I believe that Courtyard Haven, and Garden Villas may have the restriction you mention, but non-Courtyard suites (such as Aft Penthouses) can be held without cash.