Beverage package - number of nights when crossing date line

dccacruiser

Hi Celebrity fans!

(De-lurking to post my minor question, but I should first thank all of you for the great advice and discussion over the years - thanks!)

Partner and I are departing in 23 days on a fabulous 17-night Tahitian Treasures cruise on Solstice, which includes crossing the international date line westbound, so on the calendar, it appears to be a 19-day, 18-night cruise. However, it is actually a 17-night cruise, and is advertised by Celebrity accordingly.

We went online last night to purchase our premium beverage packages in order to take advantage of the 10% discount offer that expires today (12 September), and we were surprised to see that the package price is based on 18 nights...for a 17-night cruise.

Partner called Captain's Club this morning, and the nice representative confirmed that the online price is based on 18 nights, and "the system" will not allow any adjustments.

Our options are to a) purchase online and pay for 18 nights with the 10% discount (which is less than 17 nights at full price!), or b) wait to book onboard, where Celebrity staff can theoretically calculate the correct number of nights for the package, but then the 10% discount will not be available.

I realize that if I purchase now I'll probably come out ahead, but I just don't feel good about it.

Any thoughts? I know this is a first-world problem, and we will enjoy this cruise thoroughly regardless, but it's bugging me...

Thanks again!

Eddie (and Greg)

Eddie, your post just made me laugh, not at you, but at the absurdity of the situation.

The Captain's Club folks are great, but in this case you might try calling the Cruise Enhancement Dept and speaking directly to the people who actually sell the beverage packages; maybe they can help. Their number is 800-722-5941.

If you don't get anywhere, then you probably want to save the money by booking now with the discount. (Maybe on board they could give you an OBC for the phantom day. Even if not, you are still ahead in the pricing as you say.)

Definitely a first world problem; glad you recognize it as such. :)

Have a fantastic cruise!

Drink enough and you won't know what day it is anyway...

Lol, thanks for the laugh

--- --- ---

I am guessing it is another computer glitch (computer programming... Info in is only good as those who do the input).

The number of "days" charged is supposed to match the number of cruise nights.

Someone will probably figure it all out eventually... In which case there will be a credit given / OBC

Hard to say tho which one to do / book in the meantime.

Hopefully someone else will be ble to provide you with a better idea than I

Cheers!

Excellent points emile and wales!

And thanks to turtles and sloop for the advice...I'll give the Cruise Enhancement folks a try, and whatever happens, I'll be sure to count my blessings and not my drinks - that's why we get the package!

Thanks all, have a great weekend,

Eddie (and Greg)

Spoke with Cruise Enhancement, who helpfully pointed out that we'll be gaining a day when crossing the date line...which would be true if we were on the return trip in April heading east, but not for us next month heading west.

I know when I am beat.

We're crossing the equator and the date line on this trip, Turtles, so I'm expecting two ceremonies, at least!

Eddie, we were given a Beverage package once, and found it pretty hard to drink that much! There may be other things to spend on if they cannot work out the date line glitch.

Good Luck!

Edited by CO Gypsy

After speaking with a manager, we were able to reach agreement on the number of actual nights on this cruise (I'm still a bit surprised that this conversation was necessary).

Since "the system" cannot be tinkered with in any way, we are booking the package online based on the 18-night price, with the 10% discount, and Celebrity is issuing OBC to offset the charge for the "extra night."

We love cruising with Celebrity, and I'm so glad they were able to resolve this little issue (and with only three phone calls!). :D

CO Gypsy, thanks for the tip - we usually drink enough bottled water and lattes with the package to balance out the hard stuff...

...and thanks for the link, BayAreaBC. I'm looking forward to becoming a Shellback, drink in hand!

After speaking with a manager, we were able to reach agreement on the number of actual nights on this cruise (I'm still a bit surprised that this conversation was necessary).

Since "the system" cannot be tinkered with in any way, we are booking the package online based on the 18-night price, with the 10% discount, and Celebrity is issuing OBC to offset the charge for the "extra night."

We love cruising with Celebrity, and I'm so glad they were able to resolve this little issue (and with only three phone calls!). :D

CO Gypsy, thanks for the tip - we usually drink enough bottled water and lattes with the package to balance out the hard stuff...

...and thanks for the link, BayAreaBC. I'm looking forward to becoming a Shellback, drink in hand!

That's the right outcome, glad it worked out. And LOL at the rep who said you are gaining a day! :eek:

You will be so close to becoming a Golden Shellback --- crossing the equator at the international dateline. Ah well, plain Shellback will still be special. :)

Enjoy!

That's the right outcome, glad it worked out. And LOL at the rep who said you are gaining a day! :eek:

You will be so close to becoming a Golden Shellback --- crossing the equator at the international dateline. Ah well, plain Shellback will still be special. :)

Enjoy!

As to the gaining/losing days in crossing the date line, one of my favorite Brit authors, Terry Pratchett, commented on his trip to Australia, "As soon as you arrive, customs confiscates a day, but the are ever so nice as to refund it when you leave!"

So let's say you cross the dateline. And the ship develops problems so the captain reverses course and crosses back over. But they resolve the problem and the ship turns back and crosses again. The problem again rears its head so they turn back across........etc. Question...how many days do you get to drink on your package?

Thanks for the Update.

Glad it all worked out for you

I will be looking for your Trip Report here on the Celebrity Board when you return... Think you will give us all a nice humourous take on becoming a Shell Back (if not a Golden Shell Back).

I will have to live vicariously thru your adventure... Sailing the Pacific is a long way off for us I think

For now, as new cruisers we will just have to be satisfied with our recent accomplishment of being Members of "the Order of the Spanish Main" ;):D

Cheers!