Hamburg

mosstraveltv

I'm getting on Magnifica in Hamburg in around 16 hours, I have my etickets etc, but no information as to where in Hamburg the ship will be. The port is pretty huge. I have looked on Google Maps satellite view, and there appears to be a cruise ship at Altona. Does anyone know if this is where MSC will be? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm getting on Magnifica in Hamburg in around 16 hours, I have my etickets etc, but no information as to where in Hamburg the ship will be. The port is pretty huge. I have looked on Google Maps satellite view, and there appears to be a cruise ship at Altona. Does anyone know if this is where MSC will be? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you look at google earth street view you'll see the buidings are only 2 storeys high, so Magnifica will tower above them. So she should be visible above the buildings .All MSC ships have the distinct MSC LOGO ( eight pointed star around the MSC initials, in white, on a dark blue background ) on the funnel

If you type "Hamburg cruise terminal" in to Google Earth there are 2 locations , both on the north bank of the river complex

One is as you say at Altona, the other at Hafen city about 1.5 to 2 miles due east of Altona. My gut feeling is it will be Altona

In my experience MSC are pretty good at signposting the route to the ship

If you are coming into hamburg from the south you should try to cross the river on the main road ROUTE 7 or Number 7 as the tunnel under the river is next to the port and you wil be able to see her on the right hand side just before the tunnel if she is in Altona

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Found out from another passenger onboard that documentation being given in English from MSC said the ship would depart from Cruise Centre HafenCity whereas documentation for German passengers said Altona.

The morning of departure I checked on an AIS ships position website which showed her berthed at Altona, good job I checked otherwise that would have been a wasted taxi ride to HafenCity!

Also staff onboard did not know which terminal the ship would use in Southampton, one claiming it was because it was the ships first visit?!?

Organisation doesn't seem to be a strength of MSC!