Shenzen- help

schooltchr

Based in part on the nature of OP's question, my short answer & recommendation is that, unless you already have applied for Chinese visa to enter China - it's NOT worth all the extra trouble for 3/4 of a day, getting there, getting around and getting back - assuming that you are on a cruise, docking in HKG & most likely at the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal.

If you don't know what is there to buy - you don't need to go there. Mainlanders (Chinese) travel daily (often, multiple times) into HKG to buy goods & take them back across the border (as runners a/k/a "smugglers") in a game of cat-n-mouse with custom officials. Compared to the border town, prices might be a notch higher for whatever it is that you likely don't really need - and, checkout the insane prices on eBay Int'l, often shipped free to the US/overseas.

You would be saving your mate/partner/companion at least $400 USD for the visa/travel plus risked ending up with faked goods that US customs are very good at spotting at the port of (re)entry into the US for citizens & visitors alike. In other words, for a 24 hour stop in HKG, there's so much to do & plenty to shop for - there's really no need for 95% of the cruisers to cross the border, unless you are fluent in the language, read signs & can communicate in the local dialogue (unlike HKG, where English are spoken & understood by its work force accustomed to "foreign" or laowei visitors)

If there are specific items that you are looking to buy/shop for (just don't ask about the "good" looking Rolex-alike at $20 or $30, current asking price is around $125 to $150 and up (that's USD - above $1,000 HKD) - those are subject to seizure & fines by CBP at US ports of entries.

Enjoy your cruise & be sure to get back to the pier for sailaway again, as transportation from/to the new pier hasn't been fun despite the pledges & promises of HKG government transport officials.

Based in part on the nature of OP's question, my short answer & recommendation is that, unless you already have applied for Chinese visa to enter China - it's NOT worth all the extra trouble for 3/4 of a day, getting there, getting around and getting back - assuming that you are on a cruise, docking in HKG & most likely at the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal.

If you don't know what is there to buy - you don't need to go there. Mainlanders (Chinese) travel daily (often, multiple times) into HKG to buy goods & take them back across the border (as runners a/k/a "smugglers") in a game of cat-n-mouse with custom officials. Compared to the border town, prices might be a notch higher for whatever it is that you likely don't really need - and, checkout the insane prices on eBay Int'l, often shipped free to the US/overseas.

You would be saving your mate/partner/companion at least $400 USD for the visa/travel plus risked ending up with faked goods that US customs are very good at spotting at the port of (re)entry into the US for citizens & visitors alike. In other words, for a 24 hour stop in HKG, there's so much to do & plenty to shop for - there's really no need for 95% of the cruisers to cross the border, unless you are fluent in the language, read signs & can communicate in the local dialogue (unlike HKG, where English are spoken & understood by its work force accustomed to "foreign" or laowei visitors)

If there are specific items that you are looking to buy/shop for (just don't ask about the "good" looking Rolex-alike at $20 or $30, current asking price is around $125 to $150 and up (that's USD - above $1,000 HKD) - those are subject to seizure & fines by CBP at US ports of entries.

Enjoy your cruise & be sure to get back to the pier for sailaway again, as transportation from/to the new pier hasn't been fun despite the pledges & promises of HKG government transport officials.

Agree with most of this, but fake goods for personal use are not at all a priority for Customs agents on reentry. It is unheard of for someone to be fined and even confiscation is extremely unlikely.

We did this last year Greyline tours fantastic pick up at the Marco Polo hotel early morning they arrange visa then to train to Shenzen,. Fantastic lunch included and the. The main shopping high rise 4 hrs there more than enough time to shop good shopping. Have fun.

Agree with all the above comments, esp agree giving this a miss if you have minimal time. There is so much more to see in and around Hong Kong....and the markets on Kowloon side may suffice quite well.

If you are intent on going over to Shenzen, then really the only cost effective way is via a tour. Tour operators are able to purchase a group visa. As stated, the visas are very expensive, particularly for Americans. Check out the shopping tour on Viator. They also have other combined Shenzen sights and shopping tours.

As an alternative to shenzhen, while in hkg, you can visit

Mongkok - lots of stores, mid price brands,pedestrian market stalls from 6pm onwards, selling items similar to what you will find in shenzhen ( bags, scarves, shirts, pjs, socks, etc)

Or for computer and gaming stuff, dragon center in sham shui po -

Both these districts are on the red line on the mtr... Easy to get to.

Easy to go to shenzhen, but sometimes its a pain to come back to hkg with long lines at immigration.

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with all the above comments, esp agree giving this a miss if you have minimal time. There is so much more to see in and around Hong Kong....and the markets on Kowloon side may suffice quite well.

If you are intent on going over to Shenzen, then really the only cost effective way is via a tour. Tour operators are able to purchase a group visa. As stated, the visas are very expensive, particularly for Americans. Check out the shopping tour on Viator. They also have other combined Shenzen sights and shopping tours.

Well,

You have saved me time and money......sounds like a big hassle to get to Shenzen, just as I suspected....I don't buy fakes or electronics or sneakers or clothing- I do like the idea of Mangkok and have not been there...., so, we will stay in HK, relax at the Intercontinental pool/ lounge and CHILL! Thank you for your reasonable analysis of Shenzen!!!:p:p

We can visit there for 1 day if part of a group tour --out of Hong Kong--without a visa.

Most hotels travel desks can arrange this. Since no visa is required, you must travel with and stay with the group. My wife and I did this 2 years ago and really enjoyed the day long visit.

We can visit there for 1 day if part of a group tour --out of Hong Kong--without a visa.

Most hotels travel desks can arrange this. Since no visa is required, you must travel with and stay with the group. My wife and I did this 2 years ago and really enjoyed the day long visit.

You can't go in China without a visa. In this case, you had a group visa.

You can't go in China without a visa. In this case, you had a group visa.

I thought this is what I said!!! Most hotels in Hong Kong will arrange this "GROUP" travel. It works well for 1 day---and you must stay with the group!!!

The one we did went by hydrofoil and returned by train.