6 people in Epic 2 Bedroom Haven rm 17001

dlopiccolo

We are planning a trip to the Mediterranean in July 2015. My sons are soccer nuts and we want to take them to Barcelona for a few days and add on the 7 day Epic W. Med cruise. Our party is my 2 parents who are young 70's, my husband and I, and our 10 and 12 year old sons. I have my sights set on the 2 Bedroom Haven room for all 6 of us. My dad is a paraplegic (no wheelchair) and I like the idea of him having a quiet space to rest if he gets tired from the activities so the "ship with a ship" is really appealing in the Haven area. My parents will be in the master suite and I envision the boys being in the living room and my husband and I in the "kids" room. Am I crazy putting the 6 of us in the one room? All the reviews I have read don't seem to be filling these rooms to capacity. I don't see us all hanging out too much in the room, especially if the Haven space is near by. Hubs and I don't need a ton of space but I guess my main concern is that its actually a queen size or double bed in the side bedroom and that my sons will have enough room in the living room to sleep comfortably. Has anyone else stayed in one of these rooms with a 6 person family unit? Advice? Thoughts?

We stayed in 16016 in the Epic Haven with 3 adults and 2 kids (14 and 7 at the time). It was tight. Add that to having a disability, I'm not sure I would do it. We (me & hubs) in the master, my MIL and 7 year old on the bottom bed in the 2nd bedroom (which converted to a full size) and my 14 year old on the ceiling pull out. Although we didn't have the living room made up, I couldn't imagine having to have 2 people sleep in the living room. That's also 6 people getting ready in 2 bathrooms. 17001 is a little wider in the living room area, but it's not a regular balcony - it's an enclosed solarium.

I have no idea what your finances are, but if you all want to be in the haven, I'd suggest a 2 bedroom and a penthouse suite. That would put your parents in a nice size penthouse, your kids in the 2nd bedroom and you and your husband in the master of the 2 bedroom. I know that's a pricey option, but I wouldn't put that many people in the 2 bedroom.

Edited by youngestof9

The sofa bed in the living room is only a twin, as it is not a pull-out style, but rather a "flip over" style sofa bed. Therefore, one of your sons will be sleeping on the pullman bed in the second bedroom with you. It will be rather cozy, but entirely doable since you are family.

The convertible bed in the smaller bedroom is a full-size bed when opened, and the pullman bed will be accessed by a ladder which will be placed in front of the closets, so be sure to have everything you need out of the closet before turndown. ;)

Be advised that your balcony is not open, but is an air conditioned solarium. You will have a fabulous view over the bow, and since it's air conditioned you'll be able to enjoy the view without roasting, too.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Six people in the Two Bedroom Villa will be tight, especially if your boys are nearly adult size. Sleeping areas are set up like this: two in a queen/King in the master, three in the second bedroom (one double sized (certainly not queen) lower sofa/bed for two people and a pull down bunk above), and one on the living room sofa/bed. The living room bed is more of a single, doesn't fold out like you'd think a sofa bed would, more like they remove the back and arm rests and it becomes a bed. It is possible to do, but these suites are more set up for a family with a couple adults and three or four kids, or maybe three to four adults max. The second bedroom is very small, with limited storage for four people, and many people would need to share the master bathroom/storage space to make it work.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, it most certainly can be and has been done in the past. It's just tight. The Haven space on the Epic is great, and gives your more space to spread out, if needed.

Robin

I cannot answer as to the Epic, but sailed on Star two-bedroom suite with six, four adults and two children.

The children's bedroom was alright for DW and I. Absolutely no wiggle room with sofa bed made up. We got a waffle foam topper which helped.

DS and DDIL were in luxury in the master bedroom.

Thank you for explaining the lay out. All I have to say is Booo ;(. Having one of the kids in the room with hubs and I is less than desirable. I'll run the numbers some more. I'm torn as I REALLY like the idea of the Haven but adding another room will drastically change the budget. The money is available but I like to spend it as wisely as possible. TYVM.

Thank you for explaining the lay out. All I have to say is Booo ;(. Having one of the kids in the room with hubs and I is less than desirable. I'll run the numbers some more. I'm torn as I REALLY like the idea of the Haven but adding another room will drastically change the budget. The money is available but I like to spend it as wisely as possible. TYVM.

I have stayed in that exact room on the Epic with just my wife and I. We used the 2nd BR as a big closet for her.

The upside of this particular cabin is that the living room and solarium are wider than the other standard 2BR haven cabins so it is more spacious.

Even with the additional width, I feel that adding another room definitely falls into the category of spending your money as wisely as possible.

The 2nd BR is very small for 3 people. Also the dining table in the living room area is extremely small even for two people. It would be impossible for you to use with 6 people seated around it with no place for your all your plates.

If anyone in your party has trouble walking or getting around, this particular cabin is probably the worst Epic Haven cabin location on the ship as it is farthest away from the haven restaurants and pools.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

I sailed Epic with 5 adults in 16001 and it was perfect mainly because no one had to sleep in the roll down bunk. Everyone had their privacy too. Since your kids are relatively young I may have a suggpestion on how this can work.

Cabins 16001 and 17001 are significanly larger than the other 2 bedroom suites. This is most noticeable in the second bedroom and solarium and living room. The solarium is so large it is really like another room. We had a lounger there along with a table and chairs.

If your one kid sleeps on the sofa can NCL bring in a cot for the solarium? I know a lounger fits so I am guessing a sleeping cot could work there. I dont think sleeping on a lounger would work but some kids may not complain.

In any event, it will be tight with 6. These suites are ideal for 2 couples or 2 adults and 2 or 3 kids. 6 adults who are not all siblings make it tough. We cruised with a family of 6 adults in the 2 bedroom suites but it was 5 adult sisters and mom. So they did not have an issue all sleeping in the same room with the bunk. You surely dont want your kids sleeping above the grandparents. But some may not mind.

I have stayed in that exact room on the Epic with just my wife and I. We used the 2nd BR as a big closet for her.

The upside of this particular cabin is that the living room and balcony are wider than the other standard 2BR haven cabins so it is more spacious.

Even with the additional width, I feel that adding another room definitely falls into the category of spending your money as wisely as possible.

The 2nd BR is very small for 3 people. Also the dining table in the living room area is extremely small even for two people. It would be impossible for you to use with 6 people seated around it with no place for your all your plates.

If anyone in your party has trouble walking or getting around, this particular cabin is probably the worst Epic Haven cabin location on the ship as it is farthest away from the haven restaurants and pools.

I stayed in the same cabin. It is on the same floor as the Haven Epic restaruant, grill, and pool area. It is just around the corner. Not true it is the furtherest away from anything Haven related. Maybe if it was the 17th deck you could say that.

I stayed in the same cabin. It is on the same floor as the Haven Epic restaruant, grill, and pool area. It is just around the corner. Not true it is the furtherest away from anything Haven related. Maybe if it was the 17th deck you could say that.

I think one of us is confused and I don't think it is me.

The OP and I are talking about 17001 and in your own words - I am saying that.

I agree about 16001, we've stayed in it twice as a family of 5 but the OP is asking about 17001.

I was also wondering about the possibility of getting a rollaway bed for the living room. We stayed in an owner's suite on the POA. One child slept on the sofa bed, and the other on a rollaway. It would be tight in a 2BR, but with a little determination, I think it could work.

It would be very tight. The master bedroom and bathroom is wonderful, although the huge bed takes up almost all of the floor space in the bedroom, so getting around the sides is a bit tight for anyone with mobility issues. It's a great bed, but I feel they could have made the bed just a tiny bit smaller to give a little more floor space.

As others have said the smaller bedroom has a pull out couch that makes into a comfortable double, but then has a bunk over that, and the other person sleeps on a single in the livingroom.

It's do-able, but I wouldn't recommend it with your situation. I would feel differently if it were you and your spouse in the master, and the other 4 people were children or teenagers.

dlopiccolo,

My family of 6 (includes DH and I, our 8 year old daughter, 10 year old son and my parents) will be travelling in an Epic 2 Bedroom Haven Suite next month. We are a very close family and travel in shared accommodations a couple times a year. In Barcelona pre cruise we are all staying in a 2 bedroom apartment in CASP74.

For us sleeping arrangements will be my parents in the master (we switch who gets the master each cruise) and husband and I sharing with our daughter in pullman and son on couch.

Sharing accommodations dramatically decreases the cost of the vacation and increases the perks, allowing for more travel throughout the year :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you each and everyone for sharing your experiences...they were all very helpful in helping us come to a final decision. It all boiled down to...my husband and I will be together for a week in the Mediterranean.. potentially a romantic experience... but not with my terribly awesome 10 year old in the same room... and I just don't have the personality to bring in a lounge chair. In the end we booked 3 aft balconies, inc 13291 two of which connect. Super excited for the experience. Now to plan the excursions!

Thank you each and everyone for sharing your experiences...they were all very helpful in helping us come to a final decision. It all boiled down to...my husband and I will be together for a week in the Mediterranean.. potentially a romantic experience... but not with my terribly awesome 10 year old in the same room... and I just don't have the personality to bring in a lounge chair. In the end we booked 3 aft balconies, inc 13291 two of which connect. Super excited for the experience. Now to plan the excursions!

Very wise decision. Everyone now gets a vacation.