Ordering more than one entree in MDR

ProfCruise

Thanks everyone! We had YTD on Princess. It sounds like we probably just had a grumpy waiter. We'll try again on Carnival -- it sounds like we'll have a better experience this time.

LOL, to "health implications." Tell the truth, were you my waiter? But seriously, it's a vacation. If I ate like I eat on vacation every day of the year, we'd have a major problem. I don't though -- I eat very healthy and exercise regularly in my "real life." But vacations are for trying and doing things we don't get to do in our every day life. I would never do anything that would negatively impact another person's experience, but if this is common practice, I plan to arm myself with Pepto and stuff myself silly. :D

Well said. :cool:

I am wondering if Princess is just way more strict than Carnival. I know they're sticklers about the dress code in the dining room, maybe they actually have a policy about one of each dish??? If so, I am unimpressed.

Thanks everyone! We had YTD on Princess. It sounds like we probably just had a grumpy waiter. We'll try again on Carnival -- it sounds like we'll have a better experience this time.

LOL, to "health implications." Tell the truth, were you my waiter? But seriously, it's a vacation. If I ate like I eat on vacation every day of the year, we'd have a major problem. I don't though -- I eat very healthy and exercise regularly in my "real life." But vacations are for trying and doing things we don't get to do in our every day life. I would never do anything that would negatively impact another person's experience, but if this is common practice, I plan to arm myself with Pepto and stuff myself silly. :D

Great response! I too have been doing 6/wk workouts just in preparation for our October cruise! Can't wait to stuff ourselves silly because it is a rarity for us!

I am wondering if Princess is just way more strict than Carnival. I know they're sticklers about the dress code in the dining room, maybe they actually have a policy about one of each dish??? If so, I am unimpressed.

I ordered more than one on Princess ships without any problems.

My husband has never had a problem ordering multiple entrees on Princess. Apparently it was a grumpy waiter.

Thanks for the tip, bumbleklutz! Have you ever ordered the Indian vegetarian? I love Indian food, so I'm hoping it's good.

Here's a thread that I posted in about Indian food. It is specifically about Indian non-vegetarian entrees in the MDR, but some of it applies to the Indian vegetarian entree. And the food is quite good; tastes more like authentic Indian than what we get here in the US.

A tip: The Indian entree comes with three bowls of different curries. You can order two quantities of the main dish for a total of four bowls in the Indian entree.

For eg: Here's an random meal which contains three bowls of dishes. The green one on the left is saag-paneer (cottage cheese in spinach/mustard greens), spicy green peas and the one at the top is lentil soup/stew.

The paneer dish is the main item and you can order two bowls of that dish (or any other) within your one entree.

DSC_4046.JPG

Edited by hirent

On lobster might I order 2 lobster tails. I have said I do not want the shrimp or extra sides because that seems like a wSte of food I will not eat. The waiters have said multiple times they just need to bring the whole meal.

I have an answer for that!

We took a Behind the Fun tour on the Carnival Valor and they spend quite a bit of time in the galley talking to a few chefs.

The way they prepare for a meal is copying.

Basically the head chef designs the dish and creates several identical prototypes for the other chefs to copy. So each dish is placed at several locations and the other chefs are duty-bound to create the dish exactly as shown to them. There cannot be any changes to the dish in terms of quantity or presentation.

I too have ordered more than one app or entree for dinner, but I also try to order them at the same time, more so to make the server's life easier. I too have seen the procedure that they use in the galley, and try not to make their job more difficult than necessary.