Mykonos Questions

KellyElisabeth

Hi All, I am wondering if recent cruisers with stops in Mykonos have been tendering or docking, and how long each typically takes to get off the ship and get into town.

We are traveling on the Reflection in a couple of weeks and it looks like we are arriving at the same time as an RC cruise ship, so it is a toss up as to which one of us will be tendered or docked, so I am trying to figure out what time we should expect to be on the island and in town for making appointments/plans.

Thanks so much for any and all info/help!

Best, Kelly

You have to look at the website that shows the number of ships in port for that particular day, and the times they arrive/depart. It seems the first ship in port gets to dock at the pier, and the others tender. That's the way it was on Reflection last October.

If it turns out to be a tender day for you, keep in mind the process can take up to 3 hours on Mykonos, get your tender tickets early! :)

We made the mistake of deciding to go with flow that one day, I didn't line up early for tickets, & we waited two hours before we could get off the ship.

By that point, many people had had it, & began line cutting, it got surprisingly vicious!

We had super high winds that day, so it really delayed the tenders quite a bit.

Good news is that the tenders drop you off right on the edge of the town.

When DD took the same cruise, they docked, & paid $10 each for the shuttle into town, it was about a 10 minute ride.

Last year we docked with NCL and the bus was free from the car park to the town and back again. The walk to town is ok. only at one point do you have to be aware of traffic. If the boat tenders then as people say the tenders go almost direct to town.

We have been a few times with RC and always docked but this was our first time with Celebrity and we tendered.

I much preferred the location of the tender - so for us we were happy.

The tender ticket thing can be a hassle - but it will only be a drama if you let it be! :p

Remember you suncreen - my first time there I got burnt as I was cooled by the breeze - huge mistake!

Enjoy!

Thanks for all of the helpful advice! It sounds like although the location of where the tender takes you is far better, it is actually faster to dock and take the 10min bus ride given that the tendering process is slow. It would be so much more helpful if they would give a true estimation of what time we should actually be in town, but then again, it behooves them to make people worry about it so that they buy the excursions through the ship instead of making their own plans!

I did read somewhere ( Rick Steves maybe?) that Its conrolled bythe port authority and Celebrity and other cruise lines dont really have a say. I also read ( in a review) that they knew the night before that they would be docking instead of tendering. I guess in the end its just a coin toss.

For me, as long as we dont skip it, Im happy! I just cant wait to get to St Johns!!! :D:p

Was in Mykonos last week on Reflection, was the only ship in. We docked and it was announced in the dailies that the ship was docking. Celebrity had buses going and coming to town. You can also take a sea bus just off the ship for 2 Euro one way and get dropped off right in town. Where the buses drop you off leaves you a little bit of a walk to town.

Great place, take time to have lunch on the water side and watch the people go by. The harbor and the little boats anchored are beautiful. I have to look at my pics to get the name of the place we ate at but it was great. If you would like it let me know. The people were great.

Trying to get back on east coast time! :p