Jewel - 28/29 August 2005 - St Petersburg - What to do?

"must see's"-IMO- Peterhof, Catherines Palace, Hermitage, Peter and Fortress, St. Isaacs Church, Church of the Spilled Blood, and perhaps some time on Nevsky Propect ( main Street),

I highly recommend a tour with either Red October, or Denrus, vs. doing a ships tour.

I also would recommend using a private tour company vs the ship's tours. Both RO and Denrus have very positive reviews and would give you a quality tour. We used Denrus when we were on the Jewel earlier this year and had a wonderful time. One other thing we did that we loved was a subway ride. The stations are beautiful and the trains are so fast.

We just returned, and I strongly believe that if you can swing it, a private guide through a reputable source is the way to go. The sights mentioned are all very worthwhile and much better to see in a small group than with large tour groups as the cruise excursions are. We encountered many large groups, and while the guides seemed knowledgeable enough, the sizes of the groups seemed way too large to adequately enjoy the places. It's also nice to have the flexibility to see what you want at the pace you want, as opposed to someone else's.

We just got back less than a week ago and used Red October. We had a marvelous experience. Had a group of 13 and they supplied a 15 person mini bus with driver. Helen or Elaina was her name and she was excellent. An English teacher - Advantage of this after talking with some that took ships tours were that we were quick and mobile and adaptable. With only 13 we got around quick and took no time to load and unload and got to see items like Russian "Cosco". Also easy to hear and keep up in Hermitage etc. They will mold the itinerary to suit you.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Red October.

Neil

Suggestions as to what to see would be welcome.

Should we use the ship's tours or a private agency?

Hi Tux

Are you really going this month? You better book a tour right away, it takes time to get tickets and get on the list the tours have to give to immigration department in Russia.

I was lucky to have stumbled on DenRus and they explained everything to me about how we can visit Russia without getting a visa. I ordered a great sounding tour for me, my brother and his wife from their web site and save a lot of money. It only took a few minutes to book and take care of everything. Most of this last week I've been asking lots of questions and they answer all of them for me. If the tour is as good as the way I've been treated by them I will be very happy. I've been treated very well here also;>)

I bet if you contacted them they would still be able to get you into a small group also. We are touring in a large Mercedes van with 9 others. Contact them as fit@denrus.ru

Also get a great tour book. I found a beautiful book called D&K St Petersburg which is part of the Eyewitness Travel Guides series. I got it at Borders Books. The photos are great.

We will be in the city at the same time but from different ships.

Jill

Archived