Copenhagen Restaurants

soraya

Hi, We'r off tomorrow to do a couple of days pre-cruise in Copenhagen. We're staying at the Square hotel picked because of its central location and good reviews on tripadvisor.

Just wondering whether anyone has any restaurant recommendations in Copenhagen. Looking for some mid-range as well as somewhere special to celebrate a big birthday.

I know Copenhagen is meant to be quite expensive, but it'll have to go a long way to beat Tahiti with its $32 cheeseburger last year!!

Thanks, Soraya

We too are going to Copenhagen a few days before our cruise and will be staying at the Marriott. In reading about Copenhagen Restaurants, one that seemed "special" was Kommandantlen, which has a website and will take and confirm reservations via their site. Era Ora was another restaurant with good reviews. You can also google Copenhagen Restaurants and get some websites to check out. The Nyhaven area is supposed to have good seafood restaurants.

Don't know about Tahiti prices, but Copenhagen will give most places I have visited a run for the money with high prices.

In one of the squares in the heart of the Stroget, there are three places all across from each other, The Cafe Norden, Cafe Europa and The Dubliner Bar/Cafe. We ate at all three. Much depends on what you eat, but between these three the Dubliner was the most reasonable. I thought the other two were quite expensive for what you get. We also ate at one of the sidewalk cafes in Nyhavn, Carl's Corner. There are a large number of sidewalk cafes right in a row in Nyhavn. We studied menus and found them all fairly consistent in prices. Again, it depends what you order, but for an example -

our meal there consisted of a dinner salad for my wife, a fairly basic meat and potato meal for me, and we had a total of four beers with the meal which came out to the equivalent of $75. US. All the meals we experienced were very good, but very pricey. Charge cards were easy to use.

A bargain for grabbing a snack are all of the mobile hot dog stands in Copenhagen and Arhus. We had the ones with the frankfurter with the hollowed-out baked bun (some called them French Hot Dogs) more than once and they were tasty.

We recently ate at Restaurant Gammel Strand, along a beautiful canal in Copenhagen. We stayed at the Marriott, and this restaurant was recommended by the concierge. We walked to it (15 minutes) - very safe area near the big Copenhagen Museum - and found it to have wonderful cuisine. Reservations are necessary, as it is fairly small, but the food was superb and the atmosphere very nice.

Mike

Archived