What to wear in Alaska

garfam

Can anyone tell me if it will be too cold to wear sandles on the ship or in the dinning room at night the first week on June. I get cold easy but I love my sandles, especially dressing up.

Also, does anyone know if very many people dress for formal night since they have freestyle cruising(which I'm not sure I will like).

Thanks

We went to Alaska in the summer of 2002 (around 3rd week of June). It was quite chilly off the ship. How the interior/dining room, etc. is will depend on the ship's staff and how they set the air conditioning, etc.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't think you'd want to be out taking a moonlit walk on the promenade in sandals.

Statendam Circle Hawaii 12/03

Amsterdam Alaska 06/02

Ryndam Caribbean 12/00

Magic Bahamas 10/98

When we went to Alaska we went on Celebrity, so most people were "formal" dressed, meaning long dresses, skirts, and tuxes. So how formal you dress for Alaska, will also depend on your cruiseline.

As far as strappy sandals w/formals...yep, i'd wear them. You're inside most of the time.

Have fun, this was my fav cruise, by far.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

Your sandals will be fine on the ship. When I cruised in Alaska coming home from a Princess cruisetour, lots of the passengers didn't dress formally on formal night, but we did. Many passengers complimented us on how nice we looked, but seemed puzzled by the fact that we were wearing formal attire on formal night! icon_confused.gif

I do recommend a shawl to keep your back and shoulders warm in the AC.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska!

Thanks for the replies. We are going on Norwegian so I'm not sure what formal is on that line but we are planning on dressing,(long dresses for the women and suits and tie's for the men). As usual, I will probably take enough clothes to stay a couple of months so I should be prepared for any type of weather, I hope.

Archived