Monsters of Rock AND Celtic Thunder?!!

flahagan

I got all excited today when I received a "runner-up" reward for entering the Celtic Thunder cruise give-away - $190 pp incl. taxes, fees and gratuities for an inside, $290 for a balcony. I'd looked at this cruise several months ago but the prices I saw were too steep for us. So when I got this notification, we were ramped up.....until I discovered that Monsters of Rock also has a group on the same sailing.

How in the world can they combine these two disparate groups? I have absolutely no wish to hear heavy metal music or be in the party "mix," and I can imagine the "rockers" would be bored to death with the Irish music.

Can't see how in the world they can mix these two on the same sailing. I was ready to book, have my credit card out, but think we'll pass.

I got all excited today when I received a "runner-up" reward for entering the Celtic Thunder cruise give-away - $190 pp incl. taxes, fees and gratuities for an inside, $290 for a balcony. I'd looked at this cruise several months ago but the prices I saw were too steep for us. So when I got this notification, we were ramped up.....until I discovered that Monsters of Rock also has a group on the same sailing.

How in the world can they combine these two disparate groups? I have absolutely no wish to hear heavy metal music or be in the party "mix," and I can imagine the "rockers" would be bored to death with the Irish music.

Can't see how in the world they can mix these two on the same sailing. I was ready to book, have my credit card out, but think we'll pass.

Flahagan,,The Celtic Thunder Cruise is November 8th through the 12th 2014.

https://www.celticthundercruise.com

The Monsters Of Rock Cruise is April 18th through the 22nd 2015.

http://monstersofrockcruise.com

Yes, I know the full MOR cruise is next spring, but they're also promoting a MOR Alumni cruise for Nov. 8 - 12, 2014. Check out this site:

http://monstersofrockcruise.com/2014-alumni-cruise/

The Celtic Thunder site is still advertising this as a "full-charter" Irish - themed cruise, a bit misleading I would think.

Yes, I know the full MOR cruise is next spring, but they're also promoting a MOR Alumni cruise for Nov. 8 - 12, 2014. Check out this site:

http://monstersofrockcruise.com/2014-alumni-cruise/

The Celtic Thunder site is still advertising this as a "full-charter" Irish - themed cruise, a bit misleading I would think.

How ODD!!!!! After reading their promo,,it looks as if they will just have a couple of artists playing acoustic sets late night. I think you would be fine booking this as it doesn't seem that any of the MOR artists are going to encroach on the Celtic Thunder Artists performances. Book it and have a blast!!!!

Odd indeed! We're way beyond the age of rock - heck, we invented it! But we have no interest in hanging with crowds of head-bangers, lol.

Still on the fence, sounds like such a good deal, but hubby is leaning away from it now. Wish some of the MOR folks would chime in and provide more info.

Odd indeed! We're way beyond the age of rock - heck, we invented it! But we have no interest in hanging with crowds of head-bangers, lol.

Still on the fence, sounds like such a good deal, but hubby is leaning away from it now. Wish some of the MOR folks would chime in and provide more info.

Oh good!!! I see you posted your concerns in the Roll Call for that sailing. I was going to link you there. I know Cruisergal is sailing,,,she would be a great reference for information!!!

forget the music ,drunk peopole will be a main problem . We had a cruise after Monsters of Rock and they could not get them out of ship :cool: the whole ship stunk for one day afet them :eek:

From what I've understood, the cruise is still Celtic Thunder and and all of the artists that were promised, but the cabins have been offered to people who have previously sailed on other charters such as the Moody Blues and Monsters of Rock. I haven't seen anything that the entertainment would be changing. Then again, there has been radio silence about this cruise from the Celtic Thunder management.

I'm assuming the cabins weren't filling up with just the CT fan base, so in order to sail full (or close to it), the booking company reached out to it's client list with a very, very reduced fare offer. Needless to say, many of the CT fans that paid full charter rates are feeling a bit chaffed at the rate discrepancies.

I was on the Celtic Thunder cruise last year, it was a lot of fun. I am only going this year because I "won" a reduced rate. I think the mix of fan bases should be interesting to see, but it will still be a great time.

My friend performed on the Monsters of Rock cruise last year and I have never known him to be smelly LOL he is an amazing musician though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trust me the whole ship stunk like pub in 4 am :cool: crew members had horror stories to tell. Plus our embarkation could not start on time because drunk rockers could not wake up on time to leave the ship ) I am sure they great musicians but if someone not part of rock crowd I would not recommend to go on this cruise. :p

Trust me the whole ship stunk like pub in 4 am :cool: crew members had horror stories to tell. Plus our embarkation could not start on time because drunk rockers could not wake up on time to leave the ship ) I am sure they great musicians but if someone not part of rock crowd I would not recommend to go on this cruise. :p

Hi, I think the majority of the the people on the cruise will be there for Celtic Thunder and the rest of the celtic artists. There will be people from various other charter cruises, but it's not an MOR cruise. I can't picture the rowdy, drunken atmosphere you are envisioning.

Hmmm, possibly drunken, smelly crowd, great music - tough decision!

I don't think we have to worry about the music venues since the MOR musicians will be performing late at night. I think the pax mix will lean more towards the CT crowd. We can all take a can of "Febreze" to freshen areas if necessary!! :)

:rolleyes: I'm one of those smelly rockers going on the cruise. :cool: We will have three rock artists playing acoustic sets late night. There will be alumni cruisers from Monsters of Rock, Cruise to the Edge, and the Moody Blues Cruise. We are all just looking to visit and reconnect and relax. We promise not to be all rowdy, smelly, and obnoxious. At least not anymore than a bunch of Irishmen at an Irish wake :D. It won't be anything like the regular MOR cruise. Looking forward to the celtic music since my heritage is Scottish.

I'm one of those from a previous OTB cruise who is going on the Celtic Thunder cruise. There is one other group of us, those who are fans of the rather cerebral Progressive Rock, who attended the Cruise to the Edge outings (Yes, Genesis, and others) the last two years. I assure you that we bathe regularly, do not drink to excess (ok we had a couple of them), try to get a good night's sleep and enjoy a variety of musical experiences. On our first voyage, our cruise did not fill the ship either, so about half the passengers were not only not lovers of our type of music, but many had no idea that they were booking on a music-themed cruise. I blame OTB for the lack of communication regarding this. Let's all just try to get along and enjoy the cruise. I would imagine that after watching 26 very energetic performances this past trip, many of us would be happy to keep a pretty low profile, relax, and go along with whatever entertainment is offered. Don't expect any trouble from us, although we may appear freakish by some standards, I assure you that we have hearts of gold.

I am apparently one of those smelly obnoxious drunks from the Monsters of Rock group. I can tell you I am a nurse and will be 50 yrs old sooner than I would like to admit. I can also tell you that I am the just like any other average person that attends the MORC cruise. I am also able to function in the real world undetected as the wild crazy 80s Rock lover I am lol. All joking aside I would hope that the presence of others due to their choice of music does not deter anyone from going on this cruise. I can only speak for myself and my cabin mates when I say we are looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise and excited about meeting some cool cruisers from the Celtic cruise and enjoying some Celtic entertainment as a bonus as many of us do have some Celtic heritage.

Edited by denise_dolphins

Flahagan,

I'm from the MORC as well, there are only a small number of room compared to the size of the ship that we had access too. I can assure you I never saw things get out of hand on a cruise full of us so I suspect there will be no issues on the CT cruise either. Like I've someone else post here, we're just looking, for a relaxing cruise, and to enjoy the music, as I am sure the CT cruisers are. I don't expect you'll have any of our acoustic sets forced on you. I do think most of us do plan to check out some of the CT sets as we do appreciate many types of music. Also I'm taking not only my wife and son along, but booked a room for my mom and her husband, so I'm sure she'll keep us in line :)

-jim ( the friendly, well mannered headbanger:) )

Gang, I'm an alum of two Moody Blues cruises and one CTTE... and am fans and friends of many MORC folks. I think this will be a fun adventure and believe there's little to be concerned about. Everyone knows its a Celtic Thunder cruise. Many of us are interested in reconnecting with friends and, candidly, not having to rush from one stage to another for four solid days. It's a nice break for most of us, really.

I'm looking forward to meeting a whole new group of great patrons. The "smelly" comments... LOL. That seems to be one person's observation, but I was on the board for five and ten days immediately following MORC, respectively, (Poesia and Divina) and the ships were clean and smelled fine to me.

I'm half-Irish and have interests in many different music genres. Just as no one should perceive all Irishman as being drunkards, I'd hope I'm not labeled as smelly or misbehaved because of my musical tastes.

For those who are already booked, we'll see you soon. For those who are avoiding this cruise due to some preconceived notion that the metal rockers or progressive rockers are taking over the ship... that's candidly misguided.

We're frequent cruisers (was on four this year... soon to be five) and OTB has historically produced very nice vacations. Furthermore, it's the best sound and stage equipment that money can buy. I'm sure this experience will be no different and will be a positive, memorable experience. Attitude is everything.

Anyone that decides not to take this cruise because there will be non-Celtic Thunder fans is going to be missing out on a great cruise! I will admit it is an odd mix of music types, but I would think judging people by the type of music they like is even more odd/wrong. Just my opinion though.

I hope Celtic Thunder gains some new fans on this cruise, because they obviously need some more cruise loving folks to fill a future charter (if there ever is one again). I for one hope to make it to the non-celtic music performances.

My family and I will also be attending the cruise. We bring our children each year on MORC and while you may have the impression its rowdy, I have actually never seen a more gracious and well behaved crowd! Ages range from newborns to rockers in there 80's I would guess. I really don't think you have anything to worry about from any of us, and we are not smelly, and I cant imagine the Irish are any less drinkers lol. Book and enjoy!!

I am a TWO TIME MORC ALUMNI and will be on the CELTIC THUNDER Cruise. I am of Irish descent and was thrilled that we received this fabulous offer. First, to see my MORC friends, second, because it was on the CELTIC THUNDER Cruise and a chance to enjoy a different type of music. I was APPALLED by the type of statements made by some of the people here on this thread. NOT ONCE on the two MORC cruises I attended did I witness DRUNK OBNOXIOUS behavior---no fights, no nothing like a 4AM PUB as stated above. :mad: SEEMS like a bit of exaggeration to scare some people off. The OTB crew does a fantastic job of offering many a great vacation to enjoy the music they enjoy. FAMILIES go every year on MORC!!!! Many bring their little kids and they have a blast!! REALLY?? SMELLY OBNOXIOUS DRUNKS??

I am a 50 year old GRANDMA---and I enjoy life and love to have a drink or two and yeah I love rock music---I also enjoy a little culture...and I love to dress up nice for dinner and I know how to act in public...Shame on you for being so judgmental.....have fun sitting at home...we will have soooooo much fun without you.:rolleyes:

Those of you that don't know us MORC people....I welcome you to introduce yourself to me and get to know me BEFORE the cruise...say hi....find out that we are not the creepy monsters you seem to thing we are...we are just going to have fun also:):)

We feel you are unfairly judging our group and you really should remain open minded to us MOR alumni that will be joining you. We are all adults and know how to handle ourselves in public. We are looking forward to mingling with your group and expanding our horizons a bit by breaking out of our comfort zone. Maybe you should do the same. You might surprise yourselves with a good time. Never prejudge anyone or anything because you just never know how much fun you might have!

When a statement begins with "Trust Me" you usually can't! I would strongly advise anyone who has the chance, to join in and book the Celtic Thunder Cruise! It is a full boat charter and a minimal number of cabins were offered to past On The Blue cruisers as a reward! As a CT fan and alumni of last year's CT Cruise, I look forward to seeing the CT fan base expand! After all, they are fantastic talents and the whole reason for the cruise. To the MORC Alumni...please don't judge all of us based on rude comments by someone who may not even be a CT Fan at all! Also, you may be surprised to find a few of "The Lads" are more "Rock" than you expect.:cool: I think it's going to be a great mix of people and I bet there will be some 'Weirdos' in both camps! As for Golden Bonny.....if an entire Cruise Ship the size of the Divina can "smell like a pub" and the crew was unable to get passengers off the ship.....I'm surprised MSC is even allowed to sail at all and I trust you don't sail with them after that traumatic experience:rolleyes:

Those of you that don't know us MORC people....I welcome you to introduce yourself to me and get to know me BEFORE the cruise...say hi....find out that we are not the creepy monsters you seem to thing we are...we are just going to have fun also:):)

Hi, I for one am happy this cruise will have a broader mix of people. I'd never think Celtic music and metal would meet, but then again, the idea of Metallica and a symphony orchestra also sounded odd back in the day. I'm guessing the members of Celtic Thunder would be quite open to introducing themselves to music fans that may not have even heard of them.

I see you've been on a lot of MSC cruises. My first time...how's the food? Anything to avoid?