Monsters of Rock AND Celtic Thunder?!!

flahagan

To not book a cruise, and at a cut rate amazing price like flahagan and husband were offered, due to a preconceived notion and misinformed generalization about people who like rock 'n roll being dirty and drunk is bit sad to me. I think they are missing out on a great time, and their ability to open their mind to meeting some really great people. I think they would be pleasantly surprised with whom they meet!! Both my wife and I will be there to meet people who are culturally, musically, and ethnically diverse. For us, it's truly going to be a nice adventure!! :)

Part of life's journey is to experience all walks of life, but first let me start by saying that my wife and I do not represent the low, low percentage of folks who get out of control, but then again, there are bad apples in every bunch...and I mean EVERY bunch...I'm sure there are some Irishmen and women who tend to extend themselves beyond their limits. But for me to label an entire culture and genre due to a few thorns is no reason to avoid individuals and deny my opportunity to enjoy life.

I am a 46 year old Global IT Systems Analyst who bathes regularly, and my wife and I barely drink, so to assume we are some smelly, drunk, out of control rock 'n rollers is completely biased. Just because I have long hair and tattoos doesn't mean I was raised to be disrespectful and insensitive. I am pretty confident the others that will be on the cruise are much the same in behavior and attitude.

The Alumni cruisers have (3) artists performing acoustic sets very late at night, and this platform is not designed to interfere with the Celtic theme and focus of the cruise. It's not a circus side show, but some talented musicians performing in a more demure situation. I think many of the Celtic Cruisers would actually enjoy John Corabi, Ron Keel, and Ted Poley. I truly hope that flahagan and her husband reconsider their choice not to go because I think they would find they are meeting some very exciting and diverse people before shutting the door on opinion that we're destined to ruin the cruise. That's not going to happen. I think what everyone is truly looking for is a chance to mingle with some really great people and meet some amazing folks that we might not get the chance to otherwise.

Trust me...This isn't going to be the Full Throttle Saloon...It's just going to be some average, every day people who work hard like the rest to enjoy some fun, sun, and relaxation on an amazing cruise!! Really looking forward to it!! /don't worry...bringing soap!! :)

Sorry to hear you would pass up a great deal and an even better experience! The MORC group is not really what you call "Heavy Metal". It is more like Glam or classic rock, sometimes even more like pop music. And, I think you are going to find that we are pretty open minded and like to try new music. The other "rockers" and myself are all looking forward to the Irish music. The best thing for us is that we get to relax & listen to some music. BUT, most of all, we are all looking forward to making new friends. I hope you will reconsider so that you don't miss out on THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!

I got all excited today when I received a "runner-up" reward for entering the Celtic Thunder cruise give-away - $190 pp incl. taxes, fees and gratuities for an inside, $290 for a balcony. I'd looked at this cruise several months ago but the prices I saw were too steep for us. So when I got this notification, we were ramped up.....until I discovered that Monsters of Rock also has a group on the same sailing.

How in the world can they combine these two disparate groups? I have absolutely no wish to hear heavy metal music or be in the party "mix," and I can imagine the "rockers" would be bored to death with the Irish music.

Can't see how in the world they can mix these two on the same sailing. I was ready to book, have my credit card out, but think we'll pass.

Edited by tms6666

I'm assuming the cabins weren't filling up with just the CT fan base, so in order to sail full (or close to it), the booking company reached out to it's client list with a very, very reduced fare offer. Needless to say, many of the CT fans that paid full charter rates are feeling a bit chaffed at the rate discrepancies.

I am also of the contingent that the reason this is happening is because this cruise was not filling up with the CT fan base solely....

However...I would also like to add that before people from CT get upset about the imbalance in the charter rates...It is important to note that the MORC cruisers who will be attending the Celtic Thunder cruise are already paying for a full cruise fare for the Monsters of Rock cruise in April 2015. I'm shelling out $2,438.00 in costs for April along with the reduced rate I am getting for the CT Cruise in November. So it's not unfair...we are taking two cruises...One full price, and one reduced rate...So technically I'm paying more than those who just booked on CT alone. :)

Edited by Swiftyrox

I am also of the contingent that the reason this is happening is because this cruise was not filling up with the CT fan base solely....

However...I would also like to add that before people from CT get upset about the imbalance in the charter rates...It is important to note that the MORC cruisers who will be attending the Celtic Thunder cruise are already paying for a full cruise fair for the Monsters of Rock cruise in April 2015. I'm shelling out almost $2K in costs for April along with the reduced rate I am getting for the CT Cruise in November. So it's not unfair...we are taking two cruises...One full price, and one reduced rate...So technically I'm paying more than those who just booked on CT alone. :)

I don't really have a problem with them trying to fill the ship, I absolutely get it (and I benefitted from it). There were some issues with the CT cruise and cost discrepancies last year as well, and I think people were not expecting it again this year. Had the CT management addressed the fans about it, I think it would have made some people feel better. My opinion only, it hasn't been handled very well.

Here are some examples of the artists we all love on the MORC: Tesla-Love Song, Night Ranger-Sister Christian, Great White-Once Bitten Twice Shy, Cinderella-Don't know what you got till it's gone, Firehouse-Love Of A Lifetime. Check them out, they are not at all like Metallica:). Can't wait to meet all of you on the cruise.

Hi, I for one am happy this cruise will have a broader mix of people. I'd never think Celtic music and metal would meet, but then again, the idea of Metallica and a symphony orchestra also sounded odd back in the day. I'm guessing the members of Celtic Thunder would be quite open to introducing themselves to music fans that may not have even heard of them.

I see you've been on a lot of MSC cruises. My first time...how's the food? Anything to avoid?

Here are some examples of the artists we all love on the MORC: Tesla-Love Song, Night Ranger-Sister Christian, Great White-Once Bitten Twice Shy, Cinderella-Don't know what you got till it's gone, Firehouse-Love Of A Lifetime. Check them out, they are not at all like Metallica:). Can't wait to meet all of you on the cruise.

Night Ranger!!!! Yessssss!!!!! Saw the Seven Wishes Tour when Starship was opening for them. Loved that album!!! Good to see Kelly Keagy still rockin' it to!!

I'm a child of the 80's, far more rock & roll than anything else. :) I just hope OTB considers me alumni and I get offers on their other charter cruises.

Had the CT management addressed the fans about it, I think it would have made some people feel better. My opinion only, it hasn't been handled very well.

Valid point, and totally agree that management has a responsibility to keep customers informed at all times. That said, just clarifying that I think some people might overlook the reality vs. the misconception...Which precisely leads me to not trying to detract from the real reason this thread started, and that is it was based on the misconception that the CT Cruisers have been targeted with a missile of unfun, obnoxious, dirty, smelly, drunken rockers looking to make this cruise a cesspool of sin and slum. That's not the reality. Hope they change their mind!! The wife and I are truly looking forward to seeing everyone there!! :)

There!!....See...we're not THAT bad...LOL!! :)

29lk5n8.jpg

A little long hair, tattoos, and Affliction wear never hurt anyone. Looking good.

BTW, if you are on CT cruise and are interested in going on one of the other OTB theme cruises, all you have to do is contact OTB and ask for an alumni price. They may not advertise it, but have always been accommodating. That being said, MORC 2015 is nearly sold out so ….. CTTE will be Nov 15, 2015 but we don't have any other details yet.

Valid point, and totally agree that management has a responsibility to keep customers informed at all times. That said, just clarifying that I think some people might overlook the reality vs. the misconception...Which precisely leads me to not trying to detract from the real reason this thread started, and that is it was based on the misconception that the CT Cruisers have been targeted with a missile of unfun, obnoxious, dirty, smelly, drunken rockers looking to make this cruise a cesspool of sin and slum. That's not the reality. Hope they change their mind!! The wife and I are truly looking forward to seeing everyone there!! :)

There!!....See...we're not THAT bad...LOL!! :)

This cruise is going to be even MORE fun with the additions. Watch out for the CT cruisers though...they're a feisty bunch! ;)

Flanagan, what u going to do? I was ready to not book upon reading your post but after reading all the thread think I will. Stormy

We received a runner up coupon as well and are thinking about booking. Our only hold up right now is going to be stateroom location. If there are only 100 staterooms left,,,A balcony on deck 8 doesn't seem all that appealing to us.

We received a runner up coupon as well and are thinking about booking. Our only hold up right now is going to be stateroom location. If there are only 100 staterooms left,,,A balcony on deck 8 doesn't seem all that appealing to us.

Mike, our son's cabin is on deck 12. Ours is on 10. If you call, you will be given several to choose from. Good luck. Go for it!!

Edited by Cruisergal1208

Mike, our son's cabin is on deck 12. Ours is on 10. If you call, you will be given several to choose from. Good luck. Go for it!!

Are you going Cruiser???? My girlfriend loves Celtic music and she really wants to go,,but after staying in the Yacht Club twice so far,,it would be hard for us to stay in a deck 8 balcony stateroom. We do want to experience Divina from the regular part of the ship though!!! I'll call my PVC this morning and see what is still available,,hopefully he'll be able to do this!!!

Are you going Cruiser???? My girlfriend loves Celtic music and she really wants to go,,but after staying in the Yacht Club twice so far,,it would be hard for us to stay in a deck 8 balcony stateroom. We do want to experience Divina from the regular part of the ship though!!! I'll call my PVC this morning and see what is still available,,hopefully he'll be able to do this!!!

Yes we are. And our son is too. We are also in the YC from Nov. 12-22!!! So will be having a good time checking out a regular cabin. Hey, it's only 4 days, right. To book the CT special, you must go through them first and the billing is done by MSC. I checked yesterday on a YC cabin and they are very pricy for just 4 days so we will make do in a reg. cabin.

Yes we are. And our son is too. We are also in the YC from Nov. 12-22!!! So will be having a good time checking out a regular cabin. Hey, it's only 4 days, right. To book the CT special, you must go through them first and the billing is done by MSC. I checked yesterday on a YC cabin and they are very pricy for just 4 days so we will make do in a reg. cabin.

I'll have to call OTB after 12,,MSC can't look up staterooms for charter sailings so we'll see what they have available. How much were the YC1 staterooms for the CT sailing if you don't mind me asking Cruiser??

I'll have to call OTB after 12,,MSC can't look up staterooms for charter sailings so we'll see what they have available. How much were the YC1 staterooms for the CT sailing if you don't mind me asking Cruiser??

This is a link to the CT pricing site:

https://www.celticthundercruise.com/index.php/pricing/pricing-and-availability

Why would you not want to have a balcony on deck 8? That is where we are and we got the back of the boat! I am so excited. Of course, the higher levels are better, but for the price?

Why would you not want to have a balcony on deck 8? That is where we are and we got the back of the boat! I am so excited. Of course, the higher levels are better, but for the price?

tms6666,,,the lifeboats are in your direct line of site. The only way to see over them is to stand,,,not the most desirable deck to be on if you booked a balcony stateroom. Hoping for a deck 9 or above, so we'll see how it goes.

Someone has already answered your question about the price. I told the CT rep not to bother checking availability after I saw the price of $2850pp for 4 days. EEK!!

Someone has already answered your question about the price. I told the CT rep not to bother checking availability after I saw the price of $2850pp for 4 days. EEK!!

Oh he** no!!!!! I'm not even paying that much per person for our 19 day repo sailing from Genoa back to Miami in October 2015 Cruiser!!!!

People who booked the YC via the Celtic Thunder booking also got some perks such as a drink with the CT member of their choice, best seating for the shows, I think a cocktail party on formal night. Basically paying for more access to the guys.

Oh he** no!!!!! I'm not even paying that much per person for our 19 day repo sailing from Genoa back to Miami in October 2015 Cruiser!!!!

I told her the same thing - not paying that much for the Nov. 12th sailing. She said they charge more due to it being a theme cruise and cost of the entertainment is included in the increased price. I'm happy with a regular cabin and will have a great time there for 4 days and look forward to the butler "moving me on up" on the 12th.