How Can You Buy a Formal Dress on ebay?

I've seen all these gorgeous formal dresses some of you have bought on ebay. I personally wouldn't feel confident doing that. I wear a petite size so selection is limited, but that wouldn't be my greatest concern. How can you be sure it's going to fit? I have clothes in sizes from 4 to 12, S to L. I haven't changed sizes--the clothes are just sized all over the place. I ordered a dress from Talbots that I thought might work for a wedding I was attending. Absolutely ghastly! Don't you worry about the same thing on ebay?

M/R

when you find a gorgous dress on e-bay with the price ranging from a penny to $30 and its about your size, theres just something about it that you have to get. If it ends up being to big, have it altered, if it's too small, thats even more motivation to lose weight, (or just re-sell it!)

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
CARNIVAL DESTINY~

I won't bid on ANYTHING, unless there are approximate measurements listed, and if I really really like it and there are no measurements, I'll email the seller to get them. I'll also try to go a little bigger, as it can be altered, rather than going by something that seems like it'll just barely fit.

One trick that I've learned, as most folks will just measure the item flat, is to take one of my own dresses that fits just so and measure it the same way. Then I check the measurements against the auction item, and feel more comfortable about bidding, as I'm almost sure the thing will fit.

Yeah, I've been burned by some of the clothes that I've bought on eBay, but usually if I don't like it, I'll just turn around and put it right back out there, and try to include more information, so that the next bidder is better informed about length, fit, etc.

But I've also gotten some real gems, and at ridiculously low prices. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Katie
"I'm currently out of my mind, but please feel free to leave a message..."

The sizes can be nuts like a size 14 which has a 29 inch waist....I feel huge after I look at the site.

I always email to have the measurements clarified which in your case would include asking for the measurement from shoulder to hem.

I have only had one dress not fit out of all the ones I have purchased.

But...last year I bought a formal on Ebay for our Alaska cruise and it fit fine but didn't feel quite right. Before our Sept Cruise I found a adorable black long dress with a black lining that looked wonderful for only $20 at Ross's.

So I am looking though Ebay at dresses for fun but I have set up a date to shop at Ross's with my girlfriend to actually buy a second dress for our next cruise.

My only suggestion is to ask questions about the dress, particularly the measurements. I purchased a gown, size 8, turned out I couldn't even zip it up.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Archived