can you turn down an upgrade?

lauren0309

I booked a cabin with a free upgrade. What happens if you don't like the location of the cabin. Can you turn it down and will your original cabin still be available to you? How soon before the cruise do they notify you of the upgrade if your given one? I booked a cabin midship because I tend to get seasick so there is less movement midship then on one end or the other and I'm concerned that maybe with the upgrade they might not give me midship.

Princess sends you an email with the following paragraph:

"IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO ADVISE THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY (AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE) UPGRADE INTO THE CATEGORY/CABIN LISTED ON THIS CONFIRMATION. ***PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 48 HOURS IF YOU CHOOSE TO DECLINE THIS COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE SO THAT WE CAN ATTEMPT TO RETURN YOU TO YOUR ORIGINAL CABIN. SHOULD A LOWER FARE BE SELECTED,THIS UPGRADE WILL NO LONGER APPLY.*** TO ENSURE EMBARKATION DOCUMENTS ARE UPDATED WITH THE NEW CABIN ASSIGNMENT, PLEASE REPRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS AND LUGGAGE TAGS ON THE CRUISE PERSONALIZER. ***THERE IS NO NEED TO RECONFIRM THIS UPGRADE.*** "

You can, but you must call quickly when you get the upgrade notice or your chosen cabin could already be sold to someone else.

Its unlikely that you'll get an upgrade away from your chosen spot, midship cabins are classed higher than ones forward or aft, generally.

The only exception is if they bump you up a whole level. On our first cruise, we had a midship mini booked (I was afraid of being seasick). Then, our TA called us and let us know that we'd been upgraded all the way to a full suite in the aft. I was terrified, but let DH and our TA convince me to try it, I was not disappointed :D.

If it is that big of a concern, call Princess and have your reservation marked "do not upgrade" to be safe.

We have L104 on Royal for the transatlantic in April and 3 weeks ago I received an email from my TA that we had been upgraded to R108.In my opinion,that was not an upgrade and we had our file marked for meta upgrade only.In looking at the PCL website,they were showing L104 as sold to someone else. I immediately called my TA and had her reverse the change.When asked why the cabin was changed to another balcony and not a meta upgrade,the CSR at Princess said she did not know.I read on CC that a few other had the same issue with the forward facing balcony cabins.I can only assume that others have discovered these cabins with huge balconies and are requesting them.

Edited by johnmik1

We have L104 on Royal for the transatlantic in April and 3 weeks ago I received an email from my TA that we had been upgraded to R108.In my opinion,that was not an upgrade and we had our file marked for meta upgrade only.In looking at the PCL website,they were showing L104 as sold to someone else. I immediately called my TA and had her reverse the change.When asked why the cabin was changed to another balcony and not a meta upgrade,the CSR at Princess said she did not know.I read on CC that a few other had the same issue with the forward facing balcony cabins.I can only assume that others have discovered these cabins with huge balconies and are requesting them.

We have L104 on the Royal right before your cruise. I check my booking every single day!!! I have it marked NO UPGRADE. Thanks for all your posts on this cabin. You really helped me make my decision.

Cheers, Denise

We have L104 on the Royal right before your cruise. I check my booking every single day!!! I have it marked NO UPGRADE. Thanks for all your posts on this cabin. You really helped me make my decision.

Cheers, Denise

Denise,Hope you enjoy L104!We also have it for 10 nights on 10/25.

I just called up Princess and had them change my reservation to No Upgrade. He said I was correct in that I might end up in the front or back of the ship which I don't want for reasons of more motion and I might get sick. Now I feel better. I'll stick with what I originally asked for, mid ship.