Can I NOT wear shorts on Hawaiian cruise?

Brandylee

We're going on a Hawaiian Cruise in a month, and about a year ago I scraped the skin below my knee quite badly and have a 3 - 4 inch scar that I feel very self conscious about (can not be covered with makeup - I've tried). I thought the scar would be gone by now but it isn't. If I wear capris it covers the scar, but if I wear shorts, obviously it doesn't. I know some of you would say not to worry about it and just wear shorts, but being me, I DO care about it. Can I wear capris and long pants during the cruise and not look out of place? I've only been on Alaskan cruises so I've not had to worry about it - but now I do. Would appreciate any comments. Thank you!

You may also want to consider a long sun dress for day. I have 1-2. They are very cool, even more comfortable than shorts, sometimes.

I am sorry about your scar & hope someday somebody can repair it to your satisfaction. Have you tried vitamin E or that new patch / medicine -- I keep seeing it on TV?

Trish

Hi...if you haven't tried Dermablend, you should. I've seen it cover huge, dark birthmarks, so it should hide your scar.

Of course, you can wear capris or crops. I very rarely wear shorts and it gets really hot and extremely humid here in the summer.

Wear what you're comfortable wearing and have a great cruise!

Karen icon_cool.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I know I'm not being helpful here but I figure this would be a good place to tell my story. When I was 3 I got burnt badly from hot grease. my left leg (from my ankle to my knee) is a huge scare (12" long by 7"wide to be exact) I am 21, so at my age I'm of course self concious about the way I look. When I was 13-17 i wore nothing but jeans in the summer. I live in Cleveland so I would go to cedar point everyday in 94 degree weather in jeans. now, it really got to the point that I totally forget it's there unless I look at it. It's a part of me I grew up with, I wouldnt know me without it. thats where we difer, you just got yours. but I think scars give charicter and it has a story of you life behind it. noone is gonna make fun of you about your scar, or think anything less of you. I'm not telling you to ware shorts. again, being 21, esp. in these days, puts so much pressure on one to be perfect, the whoe Britney deal and all. I am a child of Cosmopolitan culture, have been traumatized by super-models and too many quizes. When I wore the jeans in the summer it was at that weird adolcent phase where I thought the scar made me ugly and I was judged on my looks. I dont care anymore. I have many other scars all over from stupid mishaps (i was told I should be locked in a rubber room cause I hurt myself at least once a day) My scars are a part of me and honestly, I love them, they are me and it's more character to my personality. not to mention some good converstaion starters!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL DESTINY~

I lOVE capris and wear them all the time. They are really a "gift" to those of us with knees and other assorted areas that are better covered! I don't find them hot at all.

I have really casual ones with tees and some nice dressier ones for casual night too.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, you can wear capri pants and long pants in Hawaii and not look out of place. You should try to pick up some of the longer sundresses in Hawaiian prints while you are there or before you go. They make everyone look beautiful and feminine.

I know that the scar makes you feel self conscious, but I can promise you that people are really paying no where near the attention to you that you think they are. For example, I work in a place where fashion is serious business and people really pay attention to appearance. On two different occasions I have worn mismatched shoes (one blue and one black) to work. NO ONE, not a single person noticed!!! The first time I did it, I was mortified and felt like an idiot. The second time I did it, I was mortified, felt like an idiot, but by lunchtime, it was hilarious that no one had noticed and I fooled around by trying to draw attention to it, by crossing and uncrossing my legs, etc. NO ONE noticed.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, relax and when you are ready to try on a pair of shorts I bet nobody notices the scar.

Have a wonderful time in Hawaii!

I agree with wear whatever you want.

And don't give that scar a second thought.

Ok,wait..one thing though.

It is important to keep new scars out of too much direct sunlight.I am not saying to cover it up.I agree no one will look at you any differently.Just keep it covered with sunscreen.

Scars can darken in the sun.SO...

Vitamin E,Aloe & sunscreen&...all the shorts you want icon_biggrin.gif

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

Hi

I have three 'items' on my legs that may or may not require coverage...depending on the mood.

I have a large tattoo above each ankle (no regrets, so don't go there..they are a part of my self-expression icon_biggrin.gif) and a very jagged 5-inch scar that runs directly across my right knee, the result of a motorcycle accident when I was 19 (now 46).

The scar on my knee has faded to white, but is still very noticable. However, I wear shorts at will and never notice anyone looking at it. The tattoos DO draw attention, but that does not bother me either. I am many years past a mini-skirt, so all of my dress-up clothes are floor-length, anyway.

The sight of a dragon glaring from my ankle has started many a conversation with strangers, by the way! Rather an odd ice-breaker, but hey, whatever works! icon_smile.gif

Cindy

I forgot to add...I will also be cruising to Hawaii( in October) and plan to wear shorts as often as I can..nobody appreciates heat like a Canadian!

Also, tattoos must be protected by a sunscreen as well as scars. Although I have not had the scar itself burn, skin around the scar seems to be paricularly sensitive to sunlight.

I'll second the advice to protect a new scar from the sun.

I got a bad burn on my forearm, and it left a large scar patch. Several months later I'd pretty much forgotten all about it. Then I got a severe sunburn (I know, stupid stupid stupid). The burn scar went into hyper-mode. What had been a moderate scar became a *major* scar. I actually considered getting a wedding dress with long sleeves for our June wedding b/c I thought it was so ugly/noticeable. It took yrs for it to fade.

So protect that scar. It might be a good idea to wear capris not to hide it but to protect it.

M/R

I have a couple of "items" on my legs too. Some by my choosing, some not. My "not" is a long scar from a hot water burn when I was 16 (now 36). Still very noticeable, but only when wearing a bathing suit. I've had more people comment on my tattoos than my scar, but if anyone asked I'd tell them. What else can I do, it's not going anywhere!

Brandy - That scar is part of what makes you "you". Don't let that get in the way of your life. That said, you'll be fine in capris. There are so many different fabrications, if "jean" ones are too hot, get a pair of seersucker or something light.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

Everyone has been so nice! Thank you. I wish I was more comfortable showing this scar - and who knows, maybe I will when I'm in Hawaii. I am going to take shorts just in case. But if I don't I will feel very comfortable wearing capris because of you all. We are going be in Honolulu a couple of days before the cruise so I will definitely try to find some skirts too.

Thanks again.

Brandy

Brandylee, you are going to Hawaii at a beautiful time of the year. We have friends who live there, they say the spring and fall are the best. Enjoy your trip to the fullest, whatever you decide to wear.

I have only been to Hawaii 3 times, once in February, twice in August. I was actually more comfortable in dresses than shorts. www.hilohattie.com has some beautiful affordable dresses that are below the knee. You can also wait until you get there, Hilo Hatties is everywhere. You must also get yourself a colorful pareo to wear over your bathing suit. The pareo has many uses beyond a coverup. I use mine as a blanket, roll it up into a pillow, wrap all the dirty laundry into it and head to the laundromat, I have used it to protect myself from the hot seat of a car. They are so pretty and would make a wonderful memento of your Hawaii trip. Have fun!

Kathy

Oh, yeah, Hilo Hattie has some adorable stuff. I have a dress from there that always gets me compliments. My DH got a really cool hula shirt, too.

Loved seeing all the couples dressed in matching clothes from Hilo Hatties on Hawaiian night on board. We decided not to go that route. My print is too "girly" for DH and I didn't want to match his "guitar" print!

Brandy - whatever you decide to wear, have a great time!

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

My aunt had a huge scar from breast cancer surgery and someone told her to use emu oil to help make the scar go away. It is supposed to be more abosorbant so that it helps get rid of the scar better. It really worked for her. You could probably find it at most health food stores.

I go to Hawaii every year (unfortunately not usually cruising) and have found that dresses are so much more comfortable than even capris in the heat. I'm talking about long, lightweight dresses with no waists - they abound everywhere in Hawaii and Hilo Hattie does have some cute ones. So if you're not comfortable in shorts (I don't wear them either) wear your capris but do try a dress also.

I cruised Hawaii recently on the Star. I wore capris everyday. I would recommend, though, that you pick capris in lightweight materials rather than twill or denim. Before I went, I avoided buying tropical Hawaiian prints, because I figured only the tourists wore them. WRONG! Everyone in Hawaii wears tropical everything. You can buy it over there, but it is not any cheaper than buying it here (US), so I recommend shopping before you go. Also, one thing about Hawaiian cruises that makes them so nice, the rental car companies (along with Hilo Hatties's and Walmart) send shuttles to the docks when you arrive. You can book a car on board (Budget-$40), but it is cheaper to book yourself online before you go. We rented cars in all the ports (from different companies), and ended up with free upgrades in most places. We never paid more than $30 a day, and usually less. All of the islands, except Hawaii, are small enough that you can drive the entire island and see everything you want in a day. MOst only have a few roads, so you can't get lost. Enjoy!

I wear capris a lot more now then I do shorts, and I am not self consious about my legs at all. Just really like capris. Go for it and no, you will not be out of place!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the information on what to wear. Also for the info on the car rental, which my husband and I were just talking about. I will try online rather than book on board. And I will also get some dresses/skirts and a pareau for sure. Living where I do we don't have many tropical/Hawaiian prints here so I will look around during the couple of days we have in Honolulu before the cruise. I can't wait.

Thanks everyone!

When I cruised to the hot and humid Caribbean I found myself wearig my long cotton skirts quite a bit: in ports, during dinners, around the ship. I brought several pretty print skirts and some coordinating nicer tank tops. The tank tops went with all my shorts or pants as well. My favorite skirt ended up being my lightweight denim with the slits up the side, very cool. My other favorite was the long wrap-around with a tank top. This I wore over a swim suit when we went into the ports with the nice beaches, and was easy to remove when I wanted to swim. I did take along a change of dry undies to wear back to the ship after we swam. I just rolled my wet suit up in a zip lock bag.

I wish I had bought more paraos as souviners. I found such lovely designs and colors and when I returned home realized how versital they would have been in home decorating ~ as throws, table covers, wall hangings,quick pillow covers if you tie them, etc. Just too lovely to pack away.

Mariposa

Archived