MS Rotterdam vs SS Queen Elizabeth

I_r_a

Hi All,

In planning for an upcoming voyage, I discovered that I could choose between these two vessels. The itineraries are very similar, the staterooms are in about the same place and the prices are almost the same.

I'd appreciate any information that would help in comparing the two ships.

Thanx much

Ira

I understand your question, but just so you understand, the "SS" (HMS actually) Queen Elizabeth burned and sank in Hong Kong harbor many years ago; surely you mean the current ms Queen Elizabeth. The current Queen Elizabeth shares a common hull platform with HAL's Vista class so in terms of size and interior arrangements has almost nothing in common with ms Rotterdam. I'm sure others will give you a more detailed comparison.

Edited by Dave in NJ

"SS" (HMS actually) Queen Elizabeth burned and sank in Hong Kong harbor ...

actually, I believe it was RMS Queen Elizabeth which stands for Royal Mail Ship a designation given to certain (usually fast) British passenger ships that had a contract to carry the Royal Mail. HMS is reserved for naval vessels and means Her (or His) Majesty's Ship.

If you're talking about a chance to sail on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth - I wouldn't pass it up.

Our trip on the Queen Mary 2 was unlike any other and we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance that we've not felt on other lines.

We love HAL - but IMHO a Cunard cruise is not to be missed at least once. Itineraries being similar and the cost comparable I'd already be packing!!:D

The Cunard Ships tend to be more formal, one dresses for the evening meal. The general atmosphere is somewhat subdued. We did a "Blues Cruise" on the late, lamented QEII and even that was toned down. It's a tossup: quiet elegance or the clack of walkers. Either way it is a very fine experience.

Just being a smart alec, but the RMS QE as others have pointed out is sitting buried under sand in Hong Kong's harbour.

Now, the Cuanrd ships are certainly more formal than the HAL ships. I suppose one needs to ask which class aboard the Cunard vessel are you planning to travel in? If you are in either the Queen or Princess Grills, you would get a lot of services that are unavailable to guests on HAL.

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

...with itineraries and pricing being relatively equal - I would go Cunard.

There are many more activities and opportunities for enrichment (lectures, classes) aboard a Cunard vessel.

The shops are outstanding - the selection, the prices, the quality are all far better than HAL.

I found entertainment to be better on Cunard - although my Cousin pointed out that Cunard has no Karaoke, which was a strike against in her book.

The balcony cabins are pretty much identical to a standard balcony cabin on HAL.

And if we're talking Suites - then I would DEFINITELY go Cunard Grilles.

You have a dedicated lounge, Bar, and outdoor areas with waiters bringing you cold towels, sunscreen and ice creams during the day.

You have your own restaurants where meals are made to order - and they do tableside flambes (Crepes Suzette, seared Lamb Chops, etc.)

You have your own table for the entire cruise - no Late/Early seating.

Aboard the Victoria and Elizabeth - if weather permits, you may choose to Breakfast/Lunch/Dine in the Grilles Courtyard.

Since all Princess Grille and many Queen's Grille suites are midship there's little reason to go aft of the midship stairwell - so the ship lives 1/2 it's size, but has the smoother ride of a larger vessel.

Edited by bepsf