What was the Worst Carnival Cruise?

collinH45

The Carnivale was not a great ship. Sailed on her in 1983, and she was a tub then. I just remember the ship looking very tired and worn out, not to mention the acres of Astroturf on the fantail deck. She just really needed some work, but got me hooked on cruising nonetheless.

Costa Concordia

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Splendor

Titanic :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NOt to mention the Andrea Doria and the Cap Arcona (though not a pleasure cruise - 5,000 people perished in that disaster)

Our worst cruise was 6 years ago when we sailed on the Norwegian Majesty out of Philadelphia where we lived. We knew it was a smaller and older ship and that wasn't the problem As we sailed from the Philadelphia Naval Yard on a sunny day the Captain announced that we should enjoy the nice day because we were heading into a storm! He wasn't just kidding. The cruise was heading to Canada and he apparently had no plan to sail around it or change our ports. We had 30 foot waves on a ship smaller than the Fantasy. The dining rooms were closed, people were sick everywhere. Pictures were falling off the wall,dishes everywhere were breaking, dresser drawers kept opening and closing, closets slamming and the 3 bottles of wine we had rolling around the room. I finally wound up with the wine in bed with me so the bottles didn't break (safety first), my passport and jewelry in my evening bag around my neck so when the ship sank and they found my body they would know who I was!

Waves crashed over our window and we weren't on the lowest deck. I wasn't sea sick and went up to the buffet to get some toast for my DH. I just got up there, six decks up, and they shut down the elevators. So with bad knees I had all those stairs to walk down while the ship pitched. We missed two ports and quite a few people left the ship when we finally made it to Halifax. I know they can't control the weather, but why not avoid a Nor'easter?

The worst cruise for me was on the big red boat. We had a toliet seat on my bed when we got to our cabin the forest day. The ship had wow plastic chairs you can buy at Walmart and weren't comfortable. The dining room was awful. Both in food and service. I wasnt sad when that cruise was over.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

The only " bad " cruise I've had ( and I use that lightly because it would take a lot to ruin my vacation ) was the result of my poor planning in picking a room. On the Esctasy we were on the Rivera deck-by the thrusters and right next to a supply area for the crew. Didn't ruin my cruise and I wouldn't call it BAD but I was annoyed with myself with the noise at times.

The other " bad " cruise was on RCL and not because of the ship either- Noro virus all around...need I say more? I barely remember the ship. In fact, I'm not sure if I ever saw the whole ship in 7 days!

My worst Carnival cruise was still better than days on land, but it was the Elation out New Orleans Oct. 2013. Biggest problem was a tropical storm turning our 5 day cruise to Mexico into a 3 day cruise to nowhere. Nothing Carnival could do to control the weather, but I did discover that cruises to nowhere are not for me and that I'm not a fan of smaller ships. We really missed some of the extra stuff like the dive-in movies on lido and the extra specialty venues.

I'm not entirely sure how you could have broken the window, but what happened?

The first morning of the cruise we woke up to a broken porthole window so I called Guest Services. They came to look at it. About 2 hours later they paged my dad and I over the intercom to come to guest services. When we arrived there were 4 security officers waiting to question us about the window. They said I kicked the window out during the night.

Let me see if I can find a pic

Our 1st cruise was the Spirit, a 9 night to Mexico from San Diego. We were having a wonderful time. We sat down in a lobby area to wait for the dinning room to open and a woman sat down next to me. I asked her if she was having fun. She went on to tell me what a terrible cruise it was, on and on. So - it all depends, everyone's experience is different.

9/22/12 Had upper and lower inside cabin and shared with my sister, which was my first mistake. Air condition didn't work for three days of a 7 day cruise. Took 4 people three days to fix it. It also seemed like that sewer smell was everywhere. It had just come out of dry dock and the crew just didn't jive. Lots of people lined up with problems. Waited several hours total. Went back the next year and it was much better. Had balcony, which was a great improvement but still smelled the sewer smell. The first Dream cruise was my worst but would do it over and be more assertive to begin with.

Carnival Legend Jan 2012 like a week after the Costa Concordia, we were one of few not seniors, we saw the cruise director the 1st night, and don't recall again, etc.. The kicker was the boat breaking down, and us being in the Aft of the boat on floor 4 it woke us, we called the front desk, and were told nothing going on lol. We gave cruising another chance in Feb 2014, and it highlighted how bad that cruise was.

I should say I am not picking on seniors, but a cruise shouldn't be like a nursing home, and that is how it felt lol.

My most un-favorite cruise was on the Triumph. Not the "Triumph incident" but a cruise in 2007. It was my 3rd Carnival cruise of the year. I can look back now and see there were some good times on her--going to HMC--but so many crazy poor things. Started the trip out with all the drawers in the cabin had the previous persons clothes (yes after the cabin was supposed to be cleaned) sticky surfaces every where. This was inconvenient but not a game changer. Not Carnival's fault(well the PVPand mine) We were supposed to have connecting balconies with our kids as this was a Christmas cruise and we don't see them very often. My daughter-in-law and I had same PVP we made sure that it was linked for dinner and thought we made it clear that we were supposed to be side by side. The reason our balconies did not connect was because we were not beside each other...haha. Each day our toilet had to be worked on so times that we had to run to their room sometimes. For some reason there was a leak in the ceiling from deck 8 and there were buckets catching as much water as they could before they over filled outside our door and others. You had to run between the drops not to get wet. Our waiter was just plain grouchy. First time in many years I had not given our waiter an extra tip. Other things happened but not as significant as water problems. My husband refused to cruise for several years but after a few years we talked him into a cruise to Alaska and he has been cruising 3-4 times a year since.

Absolutely loved it. It will be hard to go back to the crowds on the cruise ship to be honest....Never had problems finding chairs, no rude elevator behavior, no lines/waiting. The only thing lacking at the AI was the night time entertainment, a little cheesy. But it was so relaxing! My first cruise back is in March during Spring Break (ugh), we will see how it goes :eek:

I saw in your signature about trying an AI in Cancun. This is what we did for our Honeymoon, and LOVED it. I was curious as to how you liked it, and thought it compared to cruising??