Driving to Galveston.

daljettjockie

We went down 59 this past December and it was fine. There were a few places with construction but since we went down on a Saturday we never had any bad traffic. The only problem on the way back was icy roads once we got back to Arkansas. They were fine till about Arkadelphia and then the sun went down and the wet roads were refreezing to black ice. But all went ok and we made it home.

We are in South Arkansas and cruised out of Galveston last year. We took 59 South going down but a different route coming back. I was doing all the driving and REALLY prefer this second route. Not sure where you are in Arkansas, but if you are in the central part of the state or coming through Little Rock, take Hwy 167 South all the way through El Dorado, down to Ruston and down to Alexandria. Then take I-49 South for a few miles outside of Alexandria and take Hwy 112 West (just a couple of miles) over to Hwy 165 South (which is another good 4 lane), all the way down to I-10 West. Go through Lake Charles, on over to Beaumont, and then at Winnie, Texas, take Hwy 124 South. This will take you to the Gulf and out on the Bolivar Penninsula. At Port Bolivar, take the ferry over to Galveston and you have avoided all that horrible Houston traffic. It's practically 4 lane and interstate all the way except for the turn off on Hwy 124, which is a two lane road but was in good condition, and we enjoyed viewing the homes along the Gulf. I will NEVER go back on 59 down to Houston unless there is absolutely no other way.

We live in SW Arkansas and we took Hwy. 59 in April. It was good then. We only went as far as Livingston. We got on Hwy. 146 there. We don't drive through Houston either. Hwy. 146 is a two lane road but it is in good shape. That is the road you take to go to the new Houston port also. We will be going there this next April.

Hope you have a great cruise!

I run the Houston-Texarkana route on a regular basis (see my screen name :D )...like 4-5 times per month.

I would take the new bypass from Texarkana. Just follow the signs for Shreveport (i think the number is hwy 549). It is mostly highway in Ak then once the new why ends you take US71 south for about 10 miles then onto the new I49 section into shreveport (once it ends (the still are building it out to I220) take a left and follow a couple mies to I220) Take 220 west to US79 (there is a Loves and Flying J truck stop) then take US79 south to Carthage TX and get on to US59 to Houston. This route avoids all the little towns (and Marshall) between I30 and I20 on US59 and all the stop lights.

There are some small towns along the route but only a few you really have to worry about. Timson and Tenaha are the two main ones. Just watch the speed limit and you will be fine. It is all 4 lane (2 each was) except for the short stretch on US71 in LA and the first part of AK.

Another option: Hope over to Texarkana, I-49 South to Shreveport, take 220 Bypass south to 3132, then US Hwy 171 south all the way to Lake Charles, then I-10 West to past Beaumont, then the route down to the Gulf and Bolivar Peninsula. We have traveled the Texarkana/Shreveport/Lake Charles route visiting our son at Fort Polk. It's not a bad route either - mostly 4 lane.