Shareholder's Benefit on multiple cabins?

grandebarca

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with applying the Shareholder's Benefit of $100 OBC to multiple cabins. The terms of the Shareholder's Benefit say " Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom." It doesn't say whether you could have two staterooms and an OBC for each stateroom.

My situation is this: We have 3 kids and will probably book 2 separate cabins on future cruises (just got 2 separate rooms on the Glory for the price of 1 and it was awesome!). I book my cabin in my name and stick 1 kid on my reservation, then book my wife in a separate stateroom with the other kids. 2 separate reservations if that's important.

Can I apply for a $100 OBC for my cabin using my joint brokerage account statement (with my name and my wife's name) and then apply for another $100 OBC for my wife's cabin using the same joint brokerage account statement? I could always buy 200 shares of Carnival (100 in my account and 100 in wife's IRA or something) if it really mattered. Obviously I'd prefer to have only $4000 tied up in 100 sh of Carnival instead of 2x that much (we have plenty of other investments, but I like to keep it diversified).

Thanks for any help. We've sailed on Costa and on Carnival and I keep neglecting to buy the 100 shares to take advantage of the OBC benefit. I didn't realize it applies to Princess, Costa, HAL, etc.

Yes, that's how it works. If both names are on the statement and you are in separate staterooms, both will get the onboard credit.

You now have two options. If you're purchasing Cheers, one has more value than the other.

1. You can visit the Guest Services desk and have them switch your rooms around.

2. You can request a VIN key, which is more commonly known as a key that can only be used to open the room. Essentially, it is an extra key. If you're purchasing Cheers and only one of you drinks, you are only required to purchase one packages. With Cheers, everyone in the stateroom over 21 is required to purchase it.

Edited by Disconnections

Thanks for the quick response, Disconnections. That will make it easier for us to get the Shareholder's benefit. $4000 tied up in a reasonable asset (Carnival stock) to get the occasional $100 OBC isn't too bad a deal.

Neither one of us drink a lot, so we haven't gone for the Cheers package (I assume that's the all U can drink deal?). I assume I can use the shareholder benefit OBC to buy liquor in the duty free shop though. That's how we've used up OBC credit in the past if we couldn't use it for gratuities.

Yes you can do that.

Two years ago, on Carnival Liberty, my wife, daughter, SIL and two grandkids were in our party. We booked a quad room under my wife's name and an adjoining stateroom under my name. Each stateroom received the $100 OBC.

The only problem was that my wife had to set up a separate onboard account for her and I set up my own. It was a bit silly since we used the same Visa account.

Take care,

Mike

The only problem was that my wife had to set up a separate onboard account for her and I set up my own. It was a bit silly since we used the same Visa account.

We did that crazy 2 separate on board accounts on our cruise we just returned from too! It was hard keeping straight who is officially staying in which room! I put my credit card under my wife's room which was the master account that my own account looped back onto. So when I swiped my room card at the self service account kiosk, my wife's name came up as the account owner for both of our on board accounts and all the gratuities went to her account.

You will only receive a $100 credit per 100 shares, and the if more than credit is to be used, the shares have to owned by a person in the room to which the credit will be applied.

So you're saying I'd have to have 100 sh. and my wife would have to have another 100 sh? Or 200 shares if we held the shares in our joint brokerage account?

So you're saying I'd have to have 100 sh. and my wife would have to have another 100 sh? Or 200 shares if we held the shares in our joint brokerage account?

100 shares in a joint brokerage account...

Having more than 100 shares is of no benefit to you if you're only pursuing the shareholder benefit. Invest in more if you trust the company's future. As long as you're in separate staterooms, there isn't an issue.

No, this is not true. You need 100 shares in a joint account and be in separate rooms for each cabin to get OBC.

My understanding is only get 100 total for 100 shares. Since we have booked an upcoming cruise me in one cabin DW in anaother will look into this myself tomorrow.

My understanding is only get 100 total for 100 shares. Since we have booked an upcoming cruise me in one cabin DW in anaother will look into this myself tomorrow.

Let me know how it turns out. I figure if you email or fax a joint brokerage statement along with the reservations for you, then do a separate email or fax with your wife's reservation info, they won't tie the two OBC requests together. Curious how it works out for you though.