Pros/cons of sailing from Seattle vs Vancouver?

Huskerchick

Interesting, current check on a travel site showed Pittsburgh to YVR 10% cheaper than to

Seatac for a week trip next June. Just a quick check, might be wrong.

That very easily could be the case. I fly frequently to 4 different cities from Pittsburgh on a monthly basis. The flight prices fluctuate violently. Just last week I paid $899 for a r/t to Tampa. The previous month I paid $199. Go figure. Denver and Dallas are the same way. The only one that is consistent is Chicago.

Edited by jaguarstyper

That very easily could be the case. I fly frequently to 4 different cities from Pittsburgh on a monthly basis. The flight prices fluctuate violently. Just last week I paid $899 for a r/t to Tampa. The previous month I paid $199. Go figure. Denver and Dallas are the same way. The only one that is consistent is Chicago.

I am a huge Pirates fan. They may be having their best September ever. I hope they steal the division away from the Cards. Could happen.

And yes, the airlines play all sorts of games. Amazingly, on our recent trip to Alaska, we flew Jet Blue direct from Long Beach to Seattle for $99 up and $139down. That included all taxes, fees and one checked bag. A flight to Boise Idaho however might be $599 each way. "Go figure" is right.

We've gone out of both for Alaska and prefer the inside passage, but like some others have mentioned airfare can be much less to Seattle. I have to put a plug in for flying to Seattle and taking the amtrak...we were able to fly to Seattle the day before sailing and caught an early am train to the North. We loved our scenic train ride! We leave tomorrow for a cruise out of Vancouver and got a steal on flights without going to Seattle (it was actually cheaper to Vancouver), but should it have been vastly less expensive to Seattle we would have loved another train ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have utilized the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Vancouver several times. It leaves Seattle around 7:40 and arrives in Vancouver just before noon. It is a very relaxing, scenic way to transfer between the two port cities. I would recommend booking business class for priority boarding, and nicer seats. The route takes you along Puget Sound with lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing (eagles, seals, etc.)

For the return trip, the train doesn't leave Vancouver until late afternoon, making for a late evening arrival in Seattle. However, if you want to do some post-cruise touring in Vancouver, you can drop your bags at the Amtrak station and pick them up prior to boarding the train that afternoon.

Did you stay in accommodation near the Amtrak before gettting train in the morning? Just wondering the best place to stay.

Did you stay in accommodation near the Amtrak before gettting train in the morning? Just wondering the best place to stay.
When we took the train we stayed downtown. Any downtown hotel is going to be a pretty quick cab ride from the train station. In our case it was the Grand Hyatt, but the Hilton, Sheraton, any of the downtown places will be convenient. The area right around the train station isn't an area I'd be comfortable staying and there really aren't any there anyway.

The extra $10-15/pp for business class is well worth it. Do check in early so you can get seats on the 'two seat' side. Otherwise you'll probably end up with seats on the 'one seat' side. That is the side away from the water.

Enjoy your trip, it is a beautiful ride.