Please compare RCI and Carnival...

I think the bottom line here is expectations. Some of the posters say that the lines are more alike than different and that it is all attitude. Others compare CCL to Walmart.

I am in the camp that says they are more different than alike.

If you are service oriented and prefer a touch of class with your cruising, you will not get it on a CCL ship, IMHO. You will get lots of food, lots of activity and lots of people. It is a VERY casual environment.

I don't care about quantity, I care about quality and would say I am pretty particular. I also do prefer a more upscale experience and feel I get more of than on RCI, especially Radiance class.

I was bored in the evenings on Glory and was often in my stateroom soon after dinner. On RCI, I really enjoy the nightlife. I really think it is a matter of what you are looking for.

While they are both mass market lines, the demographic on my RCI cruises has been quite different than my three CCL cruises, including one of their new ships, the Glory. It was the most overcrowded ship I have ever been on and I felt like a salmon swimming upstream for a week. The pool area was simply awful and the diapers in the pools grossed me out. I have never seen that on RCI but tend to stay in the adult pool area which is quieter. This was not an option on any of the three Carnival ships I sailed. I really enjoy the pool and this pleasure was not available to me on Carnival.

Also, I am a healthy eater and found it much more difficult on CCL to get food served without sauces, etc. I do not have that problem on RCI. The dining room service on CCL is friendly and personable but lacks the professionalism I have experienced on RCI. When ordering a nice bottle of wine, it should be poured for you throughout dinner, not just placed on your table. Again, if these service issues are not important to you, then you will be just fine on CCL. They are to me, so Carnival does not provide me what I am looking for in a vacation. I also dislike Vegas and would never consider going there for pleasure. The ships of Carnival remind me very much of that atmosphere.

So while some may say that there are few differences, I would say that there are plenty. Whether these differences are important to the individual cruiser is another issue.

I have only sailed Carnival once (Victory) and RCCL once (Voyager) When I was on the Victory, my friend was on an RCCL cruise. I attributed anything that wasn't perfect about my CCL cruise (buffet food), to the fact that it was a Carnival cruise. I couldn't wait to take my first RCCL cruise, thinking that I would be stepping up to a better cruise line.

I have to say, the differences between the lines were not very apparent to me. I personally thought the Victory was a beautiful ship. Like a previous poster said, in the pictures it looks terribly gawdy, but once onboard, it seems to fit. Certain rooms like the Ionian Room on the Victory were simply gorgeous and RCCL had nothing close to it. Entertainment venues were definitely nicer and more varied on Carnival. Food, surprisingly, was the same for me. I am not big on buffets and they both had equally unappetizing foods for me. Dining room service was great on both occasions. It makes the cruise complete when both adults and children walk away from the table feeling like royalty.

We had a great time on both ships, but I would never presume to stick with either cruise line as an exclusive. For me, it might be better to avoid older ships. I have a feeling my preferences run toward bigger, newer, more varied ships, so I might find myself disappointed on an older, smaller ship. I'm also terribly prone to seasickness, so I am afraid of sailing on a smaller ship.

Good luck with your decision. Be open minded. Your vacation will be all that you want it to be on whichever cruise line you choose.:o

Donna

:D Thanks so much to all who have posted so far. I did post this on Carnival's boards as well and didn't get half as many responses, but, of course, most preferred Carnival. Please people, if you haven't responded yet, give me your opinions!

We too stayed away from Carnival until last year. Took a spur of the moment cruise that was just to inexpensive to give up on Carnival. We had a great cruise. Yes, the ships lack the class of other lines but the staff went out of their way to be freindly and helpful, the dining room food was outstanding at dinner, nice selection on deck at lunch times with deli sandwiches, pizza, etc. A heavier party atmosphere but no one got out of line or caused any type of scene. Go and then decide for yourself. Remember one man's trash is anothers treasure. Have a great time!

Archived