Seeking Info If You've Returned From Sapphire Grand Asia

princess09

We sail October 7th and would appreciate any information about the ship and ports.

Hope it was a great cruise!

We didn't join the cruise until Sept 11 in Hong Kong so our ports were Hong Kong, Da Nang, Saigon, Bangkok and Singapore. We thought they were all very interesting and awesome in different ways.

Not sure what you want to know, but I will answer questions about that part if you just ask.

We didn't join the cruise until Sept 11 in Hong Kong so our ports were Hong Kong, Da Nang, Saigon, Bangkok and Singapore. We thought they were all very interesting and awesome in different ways.

Not sure what you want to know, but I will answer questions about that part if you just ask.

Hi Kathy,

I'm taking you up on your offer and appreciate you taking the time :) I hope you had a wonderful time on the cruise. Questions:

The Sapphire- did you do anytime dining and if so how did reservations work? Favorite dining room? Any info on dining or general info about the ship as we've never sailed on the Diamond or Sapphire.

Hong Kong- info on transportation to and from the port. Any tips on HK

Saigon- how was ship's shuttle and cost? Tips? (We're sightseeing on our own)

Thanks again,

Leslie

We were on the Diamond Grand Asia in April 2013, so not exactly the same, but for what it's worth here's my two cents.

Nagasaki- very doable on your own, the ship docks right in the middle of town. Saw the Glover Garden, very nice, but they don't take credit or US$, got local currency from the 7-Eleven ATM

We missed Shanghai due to weather, but got two days in Hong Kong instead of one. We spent one day on the Kowloon side and one day on the Hong Kong Island side both on our own. Both days transportation to the harbor was provided by Princess, one day by tender, one day by bus. Hong Kong Island side is much more Americanized. We walked to the Man Mo Temple and then took the multi-level escalators up to where you can catch the tram to the top of Victoria Peak. The escalators are unbelievable, lots of nice places to eat on the way up. Kowloon side was a very different experience, very fancy at the harbor, as you walk toward the jade market/ladies market it gets very "authentic". Great experience.

We did the seafood market tour in Busan, which was terrific. Also took ship tours in Nha trang and Phu My but did not go into Ho Chi min (too far on the bus) took the Vung Tau trip instead. Our trip ended in Bangkok, but the city is far from the port.

Singapore we did on our own. Transit system may be the best I've ever seen (just remember no gum). We went to the Orchid garden, Marina Sands, and walked around the harbor area. Just terrific.

It's all fun, just very different cultures. Have a great trip!

Hi Kathy,

I'm taking you up on your offer and appreciate you taking the time :) I hope you had a wonderful time on the cruise. Questions:

The Sapphire- did you do anytime dining and if so how did reservations work? Favorite dining room? Any info on dining or general info about the ship as we've never sailed on the Diamond or Sapphire.

Hong Kong- info on transportation to and from the port. Any tips on HK

Saigon- how was ship's shuttle and cost? Tips? (We're sightseeing on our own)

Thanks again,

Leslie

First .. yes we had a wonderful time. The Sapphire is our favorite ship, think Carribean Princess or Grand Princess with one less deck of cabins so there is more public area to cabin space. Since we were on it last, they have added the piazza which is always a fun place. It does have two pizza parlors, one on deck and one right by the Interenational Cafe and Vines in the Piazza.

As far as dining, we had traditional, and for the first time this didn't work out. There were only two other people at our table for eight and sometimes only two of us were there. I think Anytime would have worked better. That said, I was pretty disappointed in the food for the first time ever on Princess. There is a Spring Roll dish and Won Ton Soup every menu as well as an Asian dish. That has replaced the left side and the always there menu. The spring rolls were not that great, but the won ton soup was great. As far as reservations for some of the premium restaurants, we had no trouble with same day reservations for Sabbatini's and for the Crab Shack.

We joined this ship in Hong Kong but we spent the night before at a hotel and I just had the hotel towncar take us to the ship. There weren't many joining mid cruise so obviously this was quite quick and easy.

Hong Kong is pretty easy to get around depending on where you want to go. The subway system is great, you can take the star ferry easily from Hong Kong to Kowloon or reverse. We actually took a taxi to Victoria Peak for dinner because it was night and we didn't want to make a mistake.

As far as Saigon, wow. I would say of the 5 points (Hong Kong, DaNang, Saigon, Bangkok and Singapore) that is the one I was happiest that we had a tour. There are motorbikes everywhere and they weave in and out of traffic and it makes it very confusing. I do know there were shuttles at some ports but I don't remember specifically at Saigon and we were only doing on our own at Bangkok.

A big tip I would give you is in Da Nang if you haven't planned to go to HoiAn you might want to consider a change of plans. It is quite charming. We ate at Miss Lys and the food was to die for!

My friends just got off the Sapphire, I e asked them many questions and when I get answers I will post here. I am on a 21 day b2b southeast Asian cruise Dec 18, and was interested in how the food was and the look and feel of the revamped ship. They did say they had a fabulous cruise, and they travel constantly so I trust their perspectives. I'll report more when I hear back from them,

Amelia

Thanks Kathy! Yes, Hoi An is charming, but Da Nang isn't on our itinerary. I've been there as well as Saigon and know how crazy the traffic is with all the scooters.

I'm disappointed to learn that the food wasn't very good. We've never tried the Crab Shack...how was that?

Leslie

Nagasaki and Busan each had a place to exchange money at the pier or in the terminal. I heard that Taipei had people in the atrium to exchange money but I didn't see them myself, I got off the ship first thing. I'm not sure what arrangements there were to exchange money at Hong Kong (I exchanged foreign currency at home before I left.

The ship docks right downtown at Nagasaki. Busan provided a free shuttle to downtown. I don't remember what there was in Taipei (the ship docks 1/2 - 1 hr. Outside of Taipei). Hong provided free shuttles to three of the local malls. I was told the malls are near the MRT stations but I didn't use the shuttles so I don't know for sure. Taxis are scarce at the Hong Kong terminal but I was lucky and got a taxi without too long a wait both days when I wanted a taxi. Waits can be up to an hour or more for a taxi.

Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City have no taxis at the port, which are both in the middle of nowhere. There was a shuttle at each place to take you to a nearby resort. I didn't take either shuttle so I can't speak to how they worked.

I took the "Ho Chi Minh City On Your Own" excursion. I knew what I wanted to do in town, and I brought a map with me from home, and we had no problem getting around on foot (in spite of all the motorbikes). Everywhere in Ho Chi Minh City that I went took American dollars.

Bangkok, the ship docks 2 hours outside the city. I also did the "On Your Own" excursion there. You can exchange money at the hotel where they drop you off but expect a line. I was told that the drop off point is not very convenient to the main attractions. I had pre-arranged a private tour and the guide met us at the drop off point, and we had no problem getting around but we didn't go to the royal palace, etc. there is also a shuttle (not free) at the pier that will take you to a local resort.

We've never tried the Crab Shack...how was that?

Leslie

The crab shack was a part of the Horizen Court table which were covered with paper table "clothes". Each couple was allowed a bucket so you and whoever is eating with you had to decide which bucket to order. They were various combinations of Alaska King Crab, Snow Crab, Clams, Mussels and Crawfish with corn on the cob in each bucket. There was a manhatten clam chowder that was one of the best things we ate on the ship and I usually don't like that variety. It was good, about what you would expect of a Crab Shack.. and I would assume that the shell fish variety would vary by region. I would hope that when in season Dungeness would be served for example.

We did anytime dining. Never had to book a table as we like to eat fairly early 6:30 ish, and the ship was only 3/4 full, we found the meals very good, although teh eastern menu didn't change much. We ate in the Savoy each evening and had fantastic service.

Hong Kong. we decided to do the ships tour on the first day which took in Victoria peak, sanpan harbour tour (15 minutes) visit to Stanley market. This gsave us a better idea of where we wanted to go on our own the next day. shuttles provided to shopping Mall. subway beneath, purchased tickets from the machine, very easy to use, we travelled to Hong kong island then returned via ferry.

Saigon. we did the ships tour "Ho Chi Mihn On Your Own" Dropped of very central, changed money in the post office very near to drop off point, had a very enjoyable afternoon touring the city, slightly disapointed that the museums were closed because it was monday (according to one of the locals) wandered down to the market and found it fascinating.

Only criticism of the entire cruise was that there is no waiter service on the promenade deck even on sea days.

Enjoy the cruise We certainly did.

Is it easy to exchange money when you get off the boat in Hong Kong? Are the shuttles free? Is it easy to get back to the boat from the shopping area? We need to get back to the ship for an evening tour the first day. Did you take the full day tour of Hong Kong? We looked at that for our second day but do not want to pay so much extra to see a jewelry factory. Now thinking of the half day to Victoria Peak and Stanley Market. What did you think of the market?

Stanley Market was good much better than the Ladies market which we did on our own, but the tour didn't give enough time to explore properly. Shuttles to the shopping malls were free, but very heavily used, fairly long line waiting to return to the ship, we only did the half day tour, had already done one jewellry factory in Vietnam. we found prices very high, and pressure sales techniques, sales staff follow you everywhere. I did not see any money exchange in the terminal however I wasn't loooking as we had taken plenty of HKD as we were there two days. remember the subway MTR is very easy to use and cheap

My friends just got off the Sapphire, I e asked them many questions and when I get answers I will post here. I am on a 21 day b2b southeast Asian cruise Dec 18, and was interested in how the food was and the look and feel of the revamped ship. They did say they had a fabulous cruise, and they travel constantly so I trust their perspectives. I'll report more when I hear back from them,

Amelia

please do post what you find out. I'm also on a b2b in October and for the 2nd stop in 'saigon', I'm wondering about anything closer to the ship. is there anything iN phy my or the local area and are there shuttles...maybe someone knows? thanks!

Edited by cdngrl