Visiting Civitavecchia

theoverlorduk

We visiting Civitavecchia Aug 2015, so a long way off yet with RCL.

If we get the trip to the Vatican City, which says you have free time of 6 hrs.

How easy would it be to get to the below?

and how would the best route be? (is it better to start and end at certain points)

walk, taxi, bus?

apx costs? (today type rates)

Sistine Chapel

Saint Peter's Square and Basilica

Trevi Fountain

Colosseum

Is there any other place I missed

Karl and Louise

Well, I think you missed about 99% of Rome,,,,but that is another story. You need to carefully look at the details of that tour. If it includes a visit to the Vatican Museums, that means you will see the Sistine Chapel (usually the last stop on the tour) and then you can also visit St Peter's once you finish the Museum Tour (many of these tours actually include St Peters.). The other sites you mention are often done by using public transit although we enjoy walking from the Vatican all the way to the Trevi Fountain (which is located in a central downtown shopping area). Getting to the Coliseum on your own is a bit more complicated and then there are all the sites around the Palatine Hill you have totally missed. You failed to mention the Spanish Steps (close to the Trevi Fountan) and one of our favorite spots in Rome...called the Piazza Navona.

If you do decide to do most of Rome on your own then we strongly recommend you buy a copy of the Rick Steves guide book which lays out (in great detail) routes for various walking tours and how to efficiently use public transit.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I totally suggest you get a good guide book with map for Rome,do some reading re all the sites you think you want to see,and then do some reading on this board as to what other's have done,how they got there and what they used for transportation. You have a year to do some reading etc. and I think it will help you a great deal if you have never been to Rome before. This would even entail hoe to get into Rome if you don't do a tour.

Many thanks so far, I will look on the link.

We not sure what we doing yet.

RCL seem to have a trip going a few places for £118 each x 2.

But also a drop off in the Vatican City for about half the cost.

So trying to sort out if better to DIY it, of RCL the £118 trip.

As for the other places I had not listed, this is why i asking 300 + days ahead so can get an idea what best to see in the day we are there.

Karl and Louise.

A "drop off" in Vatican city does have its own set of challenges. If you want to see the Sistine Chapel you must by a Vatican Museum ticket and enter through the main museum entrance. The queue to get into the Vatican Museums can sometimes be very long (more then an hour wait). So you might want to consider pre purchasing tickets which you can directly from the Vatican. Here is the link:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html with the ticket info linked at the top of the page. If you take this tour on your own you might want to pay extra for the audio tour...although doing the entire audio tour can take hours. St Peters is actually not part of this Vatican Museum tour...but can easily be visited after the tour.

Hank