Help! How do I rid jacket of smoke odor?

Normandie

I just received a beaded jacket from an ebay auction. I am thrilled because the garment is pretty and fits well. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a smoker and favored a perfume I don't care for. Right now I have the jacket airing out in my garage, but I know I need to take further action to "deoderize" it. The fabric is polyester lining with the beads attached to silk. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have you tried Fabreeze? There is also something that's called Smoke Odor Kleen, you can find it on line, I am not sure how good it works. You also might try placing your jacket in a plastic storage bin with a bowl of white vinegar. Granted, you have to be careful you don't spill the vinegar but it should absorb the smell.

tinsel57

Good luck on this one. Many of my late MILs clothes had to be discarded because of smoke and perfume odor. I would take the jacket to a reputable dry cleaner, don't mess with it yourself.

I would give this seller a less than perfect score for selling you the item this way, she should have cleaned the item before shipping it. Shame on her.

Kathy

kathy, I agree! I would never sell an article of clothing unless it had been dry cleaned OR washed and ironed. I would take the jacket to a dry cleaners and see what they can do. I know they get the smoke smell out of my husband's suits...he smokes cigars...YUCK! icon_rolleyes.gif

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

There are companies that clean your house after a fire. A friend of mine had this done she had all her and her husbands clothes done. It worked just fine. Call them and ask what they can do. Just a thought

I know the feeling and I sympathize with you. icon_eek.gif Whenever I buy on eBay, I always email the Seller and ask if the garment is from a smoke and pet free home. But, still, I've gotten stuck with a smelly item.

In your case, because of the beads, I think the only thing to do, IMO, is what the post above mine says. If you take it to the dry cleaners, they will probably have you sign a waiver that they are not responsible for the beads. This is what I have to sign for some of my beaded outfits.

I know you are hanging it in the garage, but also take a fabric softner sheet and run it all over the garment inside and outside, through the sleeves, too. Let us know how you make out, okay?

Janet icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Hang the jacket, in a small enclose space, preferably a closet, place a pan of white vinegar on the floor and close the door. Vinegar is a natural, no chemicals, odor "trapper". You may have to keep the closet sealed for a few days or so, but I promise you, the smoke smell will pull from the clothing to the vinegar. In fact, when you take the vinegar to throw it out, it will actually have a yellow tinge (nicotine) to it.

White vinegar, not cider vinegar, altho you could probably use either I guess, is one of the best, if not the best, neutralizers out there. I like it because it is all natural and does not mask a odor, but rather literally removes it. You never have to worry about animals or kids getting in it (animals hate it and will stay away from it!). It works extremely well for smoke, pet odors (I keep a pan filled constantly near my cat litter box in the basement), and it also works well if you are cooking and wish to rid the kitchen of

"that smell". I also keep a few other small bowls of it in an around my basement to rid that basement underground odor that we have all become so fond off! There are a ton of uses for white vinegar!!!!

Happy 16th Birthday to my kid!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;06;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was also going to suggest vinegar. I would put the top on a hanger and put a long dry cleaning bag over it. Put the vinegar in a bowl on the floor under the top and put the edges of the dry cleaning bag around the bowl creating a sort of "unsmoke" stack.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

I toss smoke smelling clothes into the dryer with a dryer sheet and tumble for like 5-10 minutes.

Since, it's a beaded jacket you can maybe put it in a pillowcase, tie the end, put it in the dryer with some towels (for cushion), add a dryer sheet and let it go for 10 minutes.

Archived