Ushuaia Southernmost Railway & Ensenada Bay (Tierra del Fuego)

chuckdefatia

Hello

Has anyone taken the above railway for an excursion to Tierra del FUego ?

My interest is photography. So I want to know if the train follows a route that allows for scenic photography. Taking pictures through windows always compromises picture quality.....but are the windows on this train "clean enough"? Can they be opened?

Thx.

Yes have done it several times.

Its a teeny train - two passengers across a seat - so you have close windows on each side and yes they can be opened.

It travels at a very slow pace as the commentary in several languages tells you the history (remember that the actual reason for this journey is the convict history) of each spot so you can be easily photographing.

You also get out at 2 different locations to photograph the scenery.

Yes have done it several times.

Its a teeny train - two passengers across a seat - so you have close windows on each side and yes they can be opened.

It travels at a very slow pace as the commentary in several languages tells you the history (remember that the actual reason for this journey is the convict history) of each spot so you can be easily photographing.

You also get out at 2 different locations to photograph the scenery.

You say you have done this train several times? How long is it, about 45 minutes? And I assume the level of activity/movement during the ride is "really low"? I'm actually afraid of falling asleep or something during it, as I've done in the past on a tour bus when the guide has a very calming voice!

And if I recall, the train is a bit pricey at about US$40 / person for a 45 minute ride, when I am thinking I might rather spend that time in the National Park itself to walk around myself and see the wildlife, so I can stretch my legs a bit.

You say you have done this train several times? How long is it, about 45 minutes? And I assume the level of activity/movement during the ride is "really low"? I'm actually afraid of falling asleep or something during it, as I've done in the past on a tour bus when the guide has a very calming voice!

And if I recall, the train is a bit pricey at about US$40 / person for a 45 minute ride, when I am thinking I might rather spend that time in the National Park itself to walk around myself and see the wildlife, so I can stretch my legs a bit.

Its exactly 1 hour. As I said - its very much about the convict history of the region and how they logged the area and built the track etc. The commentary was done in 3 or 4 languages from memory - English, French, Spanish and I am sure I remember 1 more. So they do each bit in segments.

All the info on the train is here http://www.trendelfindelmundo.com.ar/en/inicio.html

The park is pretty spread out - not what I would consider walkable in the time that you have. Better to hire a taxi driver at the jetty in town for a few hours - they know all the best spots to stop for photos etc.

FOlks, my interest is photography of landscapes. If you had a choice, which excursion from the below would you chose?

Maritime Museum & Mountain Drive

USH-205| Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego), Argentina | Group Size: 40

hours

from $109.00

You will visit:

Museo Maritimo You will see:

Tierra Mayor Valley Lago Escondido / Lago Fagnano Easy Includes snack

Mountains, lakes, rivers and glaciers: you name it Tierra del Fuego has it! And you can experience a taste of it all on this easy, half-day excursion. You´ll sightsee through the splendor of the Andes Mountains to Hidden Lake, visit Ushuaia's historic Maritime Museum & Former Prison and enjoy refreshments during a relaxing stop at Las Cotorras. View Excursion Details » | Watch Video »

Reserve

Add to wish list

Southernmost Railway & Ensenada Bay

USH-215| Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego), Argentina | Group Size: 40

hours

from $169.00

You will visit:

Tierra del Fuego National Park End of the World Train Easy Shopping

Rail buffs and nature lovers, this easy half-day excursion is for you! It blends a narrow gauge train ride with stunning views of Tierra del Fuego National Park, the Beagle Channel and Ensenada Bay. As you sightsee, listen to tales describing the early days of the world's southernmost railway. View Excursion Details » | Watch Video »

Reserve

Add to wish list

Drive to the "End of the World"

USH-220| Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego), Argentina | Group Size: 40

hours

from $99.00

You will visit:

Tierra del Fuego National Park Easy

A drive through Tierra del Fuego National Park brings you to the end of the world's longest stretch of road, the Pan American Highway. Along the way, visit Ensenada Bay, Roca Lake, and Lapatia Bay to experience ancient forests, deep blue lakes and unique fauna on this easy half-day excursion. View Excursion Details » | Watch Video »

I have only done the prison train and liked it so well to be doing it again with relatives who haven't experienced it. I love to photograph also and there were plenty of opportunities. Hard to predict if it will be as nice for you as it was on our original trip. It was raining at the time and my photos are gorgeous. Some from out of the window. If you can get a half way decent speed on your camera, you'll have no problems taking pics from the train. I have beautiful photos of white horses grazing in the forest using a little point and shoot. The Mountain Drive trip sounds fantastic also.

I have not be on the train, but drove thru the same area. The train is easy to go to but you'll see only a very little part of the Nationalpark. If you drive down to Baya Ensenada, there is not much to see. But along the way there a nice little spots for a walk on nature trails and some wildlife you can see also. Most of them you can't reach/see with a tourbus or by the train. So I would definitly go for a guide for the day or a rental car. So you even maybe have enough time to drive to the start of the chair-lift to Glaciar Martial. If you hurry you can take the cheirlift up, do a short walk to the viewpoint. I think this would be possible in one day. The drive into the mountains is only a good idea when the weather is fine. There is not much possibilty to get "off" the road to get some nice pictures. Last-turn-around-point should be the top of Paso Garibaldi. When I was down there for 5 days I talked to cruise passengers which rented a car for one day and drove all the way to the east end of the road in Puerto Almanza. Also very nice and no tourists, but go only in good weather.

Following are some pictures of the whole Ushuaia area:

Glaciar Martial 64 MB,

Mountains 155 MB,

Tierra del Fuego 204 MB

If you have any questions I'm happy to help.