10 Nights on Serenade???

cruzanisfun

My DH and I are looking at taking a 10 nighter out of Ft. Lauderdale in Feb 2016. The cruise has 4 nights at sea. I know virtually nothing about Serenade and wonder if there will be enough to do and if it will be big enough for us.

To help....I have loved the Royal Promenade on the ships I've been on with that and am sailing on another with it in 50 days. My DH and I also loved Enchantment of the Seas. It was set up entirely differently of course but didn't seem small. There was plenty going on too, including ballroom dancing which we really liked! I have also been on Monarch, which I really did NOT like.

So...will we like Serenade or should we find a different cruise?

TIA!

Serenade is very similar to Enchantment, a bit larger, and fewer guests. More specialty restaurants on Serenade too. If you liked Enchantment, you will probably love Serenade.

Almost forgot to mention the self-leveling pool tables.

We enjoy the Serenade (and all of the Radiance class ships). They are sizeable enough to have lots to do, yet manageable enough that you don't feel like you're hiking a mile to get from place to place. The thing we enjoy most is the fact that there is no Royal Promenade, rather there is lovely Centrum area. This means that you really get a wonderful view of the ocean from almost any location on the ship. If you liked Enchantment, you'll love Serenade. It's layout is very similar, but the ship is larger.

Our most recent cruise on Serenade was in February, and it was one of the best cruises that we've taken (and we've done 75+). The staff is great, and while food quality is a subjective thing, DH and I were very pleased. I'd go with Serenade. Don't think you can go wrong. We'll be back onboard her in March.

Awesome! Thank you both for the info! I think this makes my decision easy. :-) Also excited about the self-leveling pool tables. I've not yet played pool on board, so looking forward to that!

Initiatially, it's strange to see the pool tables moving. After a while you realize that it's you (the ship) that's moving and the pool tables are being still.

My DH and I are looking at taking a 10 nighter out of Ft. Lauderdale in Feb 2016. The cruise has 4 nights at sea. I know virtually nothing about Serenade and wonder if there will be enough to do and if it will be big enough for us.

To help....I have loved the Royal Promenade on the ships I've been on with that and am sailing on another with it in 50 days. My DH and I also loved Enchantment of the Seas. It was set up entirely differently of course but didn't seem small. There was plenty going on too, including ballroom dancing which we really liked! I have also been on Monarch, which I really did NOT like.

So...will we like Serenade or should we find a different cruise?

TIA!

We did a Hawaiian cruise on the Radiance this spring with 5 sea days and we were concern about boredom. We both had a great time and always found something to do. It also was very nice to sleep in with no real plans, which never happens to me.

We like Radiance-class ships because, IMO, they are conducive to relaxation. The windows everywhere, the glass elevators really put you "in touch" with the sea. I see you are looking at a Southern itinerary - we LOVE LOVE the outdoor aft Windjammer seating, oh my goodness. It's phenomenal. While it's true there is no Royal Promenade and my DH will admit he missed it on our first cruise on Brilliance, we both quickly got used to the layout of the ship. The shopping area is nice; the Centrum is the hub of the activity and you will enjoy the aerial performances there.

The gym is great, too.

Enjoy. :)

Serenade is very similar to Enchantment, a bit larger, and fewer guests. More specialty restaurants on Serenade too. If you liked Enchantment, you will probably love Serenade.

Almost forgot to mention the self-leveling pool tables.

They also forgot to tell you that it doesn't improve your game!;)

We're taking the serenade out of FL in November 2015, 11 night Southern and are looking forward to it.

We were concerned about the smaller ship after 2 cruises on oasis but the more We read about her the more We are looking forward to it!

It was the itinerary that drew us to her and the next 421 days can't go quick enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

November 2015 11 Nighter

Just got off a 9 nighter on the Legend of the Seas and was not impressed. Figuring it what one of their oldest ships and had a lot of miles on her we are taking a chance on the Serenade. Has anyone sailed both and, if so can you describe the differences? Thanks

maxxdublin

Maxxdublin, we sailed on Serenade in 2010 and 2011, Brilliance in 2013 (also Radiance class), and 11 nights on the Legend in 2014. Serenade and Brilliance were both pre-refurbishment and Legend was post-refurbishment so my opinion might not be relevant. We LOVED our cruises on Serenade and Brilliance. We enjoyed our 11 night on the Legend because of our fellow passengers but I was not a fan of the ship. We had a deck 7 balcony which had the horrible deck 6 add-on balcony covers right under, the refurbishment put cabins in the public areas - the Panoramic Ocean View cabins which made the area around the elevators and stairs feel very closed in, I thought the new upholstery looked and felt cheap, staff cut backs and food cut backs were very noticable.

We have booked the Serenade for 10 nights in 2016. I am a little concerned because RCI has taken away some of the public space and added cabins and pay restaurants - especially the open area of a section of the outdoor Windjammer but I am willing to give it a try. I thought the layout and flow of the Radiance class were so much better, especially the entrance to the Solarium and the much larger Schooner Bar.

We had the worst cabin attendant and wait staff we've ever had on the Legend and the furnishings in our room were in bad condition, not what I was expecting post refurbishment, so these glaring misses probably jaded my overall impression of the ship. I would not sail the Legend again unless it was the only ship doing a very unique itinerary.

I am looking forward to seeing the Serenade again and finding out if it still has the same feel with the changes. I like the outdoor pool and Solarium being connected and loved the sea views from most of the public areas. Another plus is that Serenade has shower doors.

This was rambling and it is hard to write this on my phone. Sorry. To me the ship's felt very different.

Edited by NemoCrownie

Thanks NemoCrownie. That is good information and I appreciate it. We too found the Legend rooms to be seriously outdated with only 1 outlet box in the room. They were confiscating power strips from luggage so I have to think the ship is not wired properly for the number of people on it. Also the hair dryers were the weakest we have ever had on a ship.

However, the crew we encountered were great and it made up for a bunch of the issues.

maxxdublin

We're doing the 10-nt on Serenade about a month after you. We booked the same aft balcony we've had twice before on the Jewel (sister ship). Those aft balconies on this class of ship are FABULOUS. if you can I highly recommend getting one of these cabins.

We love this class of ship way better than the Vision class. Definitely do this trip!

Initiatially, it's strange to see the pool tables moving. After a while you realize that it's you (the ship) that's moving and the pool tables are being still.

Actually both are moving. The ship is moving in one direction and the gyroscope in the pool table is moving it exactly in the opposite direction on all axes. That way the table is perfectly level at all times. There is a plaque on the wall with a full explanation.

As to the ship I did a 15 night TA last year and it was a great ship. Loved the Solarium area with the adjoining Park Café, the Centrum and aerial shows and of course the pool tables. Service was great throughout.

You should definitely enjoy it

• 3 weeks later...
We're doing the 10-nt on Serenade about a month after you. We booked the same aft balcony we've had twice before on the Jewel (sister ship). Those aft balconies on this class of ship are FABULOUS. if you can I highly recommend getting one of these cabins.

We love this class of ship way better than the Vision class. Definitely do this trip!

Hey OTownNick, not sure if you remember me from the Vision on 8/28/2014(slot pull) Anyway, we just changed from the Allure for Thanksgiving 2015 to the Serenade for Christmas/New Years. 12 night of true holiday fun (no cooking, cleaning up after house guest and relaxation!!!!

I ran a slot pull on the Oasis this past Thanksgiving, didn't win anything.

Hope all is well

Edited by rbrski

Hey OTownNick, not sure if you remember me from the Vision on 8/28/2014(slot pull) Anyway, we just changed from the Allure for Thanksgiving 2015 to the Serenade for Christmas/New Years. 12 night of true holiday fun (no cooking, cleaning up after house guest and relaxation!!!!

I ran a slot pull on the Oasis this past Thanksgiving, didn't win anything.

Hope all is well

Oh yeah! That sounds like a great idea, and doing a cruise over the entire holidays is something I been wanting to do for some time. We are doing part of that this year- leaving 12/31/15 on the EN. My first NYE cruise.

I ran a slot pull last month on the Liberty and we hit the $1,000 jackpot on Wheel of Fortune. We quit after that spin and each person got $60 after starting with $15. That was so awesome.

For those of you who have cruise on the Serenade in the past and have had staterooms next to each other this question is for you.

Do the partitions open on the balcony like the Oasis class? I have had mix responses. They look like they do not!

For those of you who have cruise on the Serenade in the past and have had staterooms next to each other this question is for you.

Do the partitions open on the balcony like the Oasis class? I have had mix responses. They look like they do not!

Balcony partitions cannot be opened on Radiance class ships.