Queen Mary 80th anniversary of her launch

pepperrn

The Queen Mary, 80th anniversary of her launch (on Wednesday 26th September 1934).

Some may wish to read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29377549

From the BBC Website

(despite the errors, I hope that some find it an interesting read).

Happy sailings to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

Interesting facts, but what an odd comparison! Surely Queen Mary should have been compared with QM2 rather than Allure of the Seas?

Also, the premise of the article - did Queen Mary presage the modern cruise ship - remains largely unanswered by the end of the article.

Nice to see the Normandie get a mention. However, the way the Blue Ribband paaragrah is written it seems as if Queen Mary snatched the prize on her maiden voyage. Far from it: she initially set sail in May 1936 and did not take the prize until late August of that year. While breaking the speed barrier for a liner on the maiden voyage, she ran into fog and missed out on the prize by a matter of a couple of hours.

I really wish these so called journalists would do some real reading and investigation!

Interesting facts, but what an odd comparison! Surely Queen Mary should have been compared with QM2 rather than Allure of the Seas? Also, the premise of the article - did Queen Mary presage the modern cruise ship - remains largely unanswered by the end of the article. Nice to see the Normandie get a mention. However, the way the Blue Ribband paaragrah is written it seems as if Queen Mary snatched the prize on her maiden voyage. Far from it: she initially set sail in May 1936 and did not take the prize until late August of that year. While breaking the speed barrier for a liner on the maiden voyage, she ran into fog and missed out on the prize by a matter of a couple of hours. I really wish these so called journalists would do some real reading and investigation!
Couldn't agree more :) .

Interesting read. Personally, I prefer the slower TA. "Three days, 21 hours and 48 minutes" is just not long enough to be on a ship.

Although the "class system" of the past is gone, many cruise lines are going to the "ship within a ship" with areas for only certain passengers (for which Cunard is often criticized).

Interesting facts, but what an odd comparison! Surely Queen Mary should have been compared with QM2 rather than Allure of the Seas?

Also, the premise of the article - did Queen Mary presage the modern cruise ship - remains largely unanswered by the end of the article.

Nice to see the Normandie get a mention. However, the way the Blue Ribband paaragrah is written it seems as if Queen Mary snatched the prize on her maiden voyage. Far from it: she initially set sail in May 1936 and did not take the prize until late August of that year. While breaking the speed barrier for a liner on the maiden voyage, she ran into fog and missed out on the prize by a matter of a couple of hours.

I really wish these so called journalists would do some real reading and investigation!

Hi Austcruiser. I'm thinking there currently exists a huge divide in the definition of what it means to be a journalist. From what I've read, some travel writers do puff pieces in return for free passage and other perks. Is that Journalism or PR? Hack writing or unbiased reports? Some of those writers disclose the terms of their reportage, many do not - which, unfortunately brings into question the concept of factual reporting. I've also read the opinion that anyone who writes in a journal is a journalist - and that also seems to fit the definition.

Few media outlets want to pay the salary of experienced reporters - and why should they when they can get all the news they want free of charge from the blogosphere. No cost, little challenge, no questions asked.

Pepper, thanks so much for posting the link. Having been a passenger on both QM and Allure of the Seas, it is very interesting to read this comparison. I loved seeing the photos of the QM. They bring back a lot of memories. Very best wishes!

Thanks for the article. I loved QM sailing on her twice as a kid. It set me on a course for a career at sea as well as spending probably too much of my lifetime earnings on sea travel.:eek: She makes a fairly passable hotel these days. So glad I can occasionally stay aboard even now, all these years later. I don't think you will ever catch me on ANY ship that has 6,000+ passengers.

Thanks to both Pepper and Post Captain for sharing interesting links about the 80th Anniversary of the QM. I loved the inside photos and details about the ship from Pepper's link. It brought back a lot of fond memories. It was fun to read more about the actual birthday celebration from Post Captain's link.

Thanks for the article. I loved QM sailing on her twice as a kid. It set me on a course for a career at sea as well as spending probably too much of my lifetime earnings on sea travel.:eek: She makes a fairly passable hotel these days. So glad I can occasionally stay aboard even now, all these years later. I don't think you will ever catch me on ANY ship that has 6,000+ passengers.

Ut oh, I have been on one Twice. :eek:

I actually thought the experience was good each time, except when you figure that if the big ole' boat sinks you are gonna be lucky if you can jump overboard and survive the fall into the sea !!

Ut oh, I have been on one Twice. :eek:

I actually thought the experience was good each time, except when you figure that if the big ole' boat sinks you are gonna be lucky if you can jump overboard and survive the fall into the sea !!

Yes, that is one of the things that concerns me. Can you imagine "orderly evacuation" of over 8,000 (including crew)? Scary. :eek: Hey, I saw on your signature for future suggestions. Give SeaDream Yacht Club a try. With a max of 112 passengers on SeaDream, the Behemoth of the Seas carries much more than that in a single lifeboat!:eek::D

Interesting read. Personally, I prefer the slower TA. "Three days, 21 hours and 48 minutes" is just not long enough to be on a ship.

Although the "class system" of the past is gone, many cruise lines are going to the "ship within a ship" with areas for only certain passengers (for which Cunard is often criticized).

Just a note.

Cruise lines that are going to the "ship within a ship" concept are not many - just two.

This obnoxious segragation (premium parts of public rooms and open decks are closed for "general public") is used on some overcrowded ships that provide below average quality product.

Current Cunard system is not "ship-within-a-ship" and has never been so.

This company implements certain privileges for suite guests (that all cruise lines do) in their own way but do that intelligently and respectfully to other passengers without compromising their cruising experience.

Cunard product available for cheapest inside cabins occupants is higher than "ship-within-a-ship" on those ships.

For Cunard guests, the whole ship is already "ship-within-a-ship".

So no separate enclaves needed. :)