Okinawa and Nagasaki on our own

drjdm

No names - but Nagasaki, if docked downtown, is easily doable walking and riding the tram. Beautiful city. Main tramline a block from downtown pier.

Okinawa a different story. Stationed there 2 and 1/2 years in the Army in mid 50s, and although compact, local transportation system not very good. After reversion to Japanese control in '72, switched to left-hand driving, which can be confusing in heavy traffic if you are used to right hand driving. We rented a car there on a visit early 90s, and I hardly recognized the place - it had changed so much. Still a very heavy US military presence there, and a lot more anti-American feelings now than 50 years ago. Shuri Castle and city of Naha probably best highlights - although there is good scuba/snorkeling on the island.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any suggestions for day trips or the names of private guides for Okinawa and Nagasaki?

Drdjm - we too have been looking for a private guide / to arrange a driver/vehicle for the day for private touring so if you come across anything we'd be grateful to hear from you.

The only thing so far I have come across is the "local guide" advertised on this website http://www.ocvb.or.jp/index.php Okinawa tourist info where thay accompany you (on public transport/taxi?) and you pay all their costs for the day. I think these people will introduce you to their culture etc

Myself - we're looking for a tour encompassing the battlesites as well as places such as Shuri.....

• 2 weeks later...

Druke

How easy was it to rent a car???? Is the island fairly easy to navigate? Not bothered about the left hand driving. Have driven in England many times.

We are thinking about it ourselves. Did you find a company to pick you up at the doc or are the taxis close by to take you to a rental agency?

Has anyone else rented in Okinawa??

Thanks

Jennfier

Jennifer

We found it fairly easy to rent car on Okinawa - several car rental agencies located downtown Naha - although I don't recall which companies.

Most of the highway signs I saw were bi-lingual, and we found it fairly easy to navigate - but I had been there for 2 1/2 years in the Army, and was fairly familiar with the territory, even though it had changed greatly.

There is an awful lot of information about on Okinawa if you "google" it.

Good luck.

Jennifer

We were staying in a hotel in Naha, and asked the front desk about renting - no prereservations.

Our stop there was a "closure trip" for me while enroute to HongKong to see daughter, an expat who was living there at the time. I had to see Okinawa at least one more time - as it had been so large to me in my Army tour.

We just might have to book another cruise with a port stop there at some future date.

Archived