Anyone paid taxes on wine package

britty1

Going on Legend of the Seas on 11/15/2014, Panama Canal cruise - tried to order the 10 bottle wine package listed at $265 which includes gratuity. However when I put this in the cart to pay for it comes up with a total of $345 which is $80 difference.

I just got off the phone with RCI who states the $80 difference is for taxes, I have never paid taxes on a wine package before and the resolution desk stated that it due to the taxes charged for wine in the ports of call. Anyone ever experienced this before. No breakdown offered regarding the taxes just that it is $80 - ridiculous. When I look at the wine list the cost of wine is quite high - any suggestions. Thanks.

Never had tax charged on wine packages. However, others have reported "anomolies" when seeing the price. Got to give them credit for coming up with a new excuse every time the question gets asked.

I'd put off purchase until you get on board.

Never had tax charged on wine packages. However, others have reported "anomolies" when seeing the price. Got to give them credit for coming up with a new excuse every time the question gets asked.

I'd put off purchase until you get on board.

Do you know who the CEO is and how to email him/her. Thanks for your response. I too have bought many wine packages and the taxes issue has never come up before. :(

On Celebrity, we purchased a wine package aboard. They said they would not charge my card until after we were in international waters so that I wouldn't be charged tax. They said they could run it through right away if I wanted, but I would be charged tax. We just let them charge us later, and there were no taxes applied.

States are now putting more pressure on companies to turn over sales tax for online sales, whether or not it's legal for them to do so. Most big companies are giving in and paying the taxes.

Edited by ehfl

On Celebrity, we purchased a wine package aboard. They said they would not charge my card until after we were in international waters so that I wouldn't be charged tax. They said they could run it through right away if I wanted, but I would be charged tax. We just let them charge us later, and there were no taxes applied.

States are now putting more pressure on companies to turn over sales tax for online sales, whether or not it's legal for them to do so. Most big companies are giving in and paying the taxes.

So if my calculations are correct on a 10 bottle package that would be an $8 per bottle charge for taxes which calculates to 12.5% tax rate. So since their headquarters are in FL. would it be FL taxes that need to be paid and it really has nothing to do with the ports of call which is what I was told. :eek:

So if my calculations are correct on a 10 bottle package that would be an $8 per bottle charge for taxes which calculates to 12.5% tax rate. So since their headquarters are in FL. would it be FL taxes that need to be paid and it really has nothing to do with the ports of call which is what I was told. :eek:

Generally, the sales tax rate would be based on where the customer was. In reality, like just about everything else involving their information technology, they're probably just making it up as they go.