DIY Istanbul report

We were in Istanbul on September 24th. We exited the port, it's a short walk from ship to street. We walked to the left on the street, about 100m to the tram stop. The machine and platform are in the middle of the street so watch the traffic. Jetons are 4 tl, machines accept notes and give change in coins. Insert the jeton into the turnstile and access platform. 1 jeton per journey, any length. For Hagia Sofia, stay on until Sultanahmet stop, about 5 stops, they are announced. (To return to ship, get tram T1, Kabatas or Eminonu and get off at Tophane. If you get the Eminonu tram, you change at Eminonu for Kabatas and get off at Tophane. When I say change, you just stay on the pkatform and wait for next tram that says Kabatas, simples!) Blue Mosque is directly opposite Hagia Sophia. Hagia is 30 tl pp. If you are interested in the Basilica Cisterns, the are just to the right, across a street as you exit Hagia Sophia, 20tl pp. Prayer time is about 1pm ish and the mosque closes for some time before so time your visits accordingly.

On our day, we got off the tram at Eminonu and walked uphill to the Sulemanye Mosque. This was designed by Sinan, the master architect whose pupil, Aga, designed the Blue Mosque. The walk was about 15 mins, a bit steep and several sets of steps. Sulemanye mosque was much quieter and very pleasant to explore. Shawls provided to ladies. Free and clean toilets on site.

We walked mostly downhill and followed signs to the Grand Bazaar. This is a major shopping area and a big draw. Many tour groups here. We didn't hang around as the shopkeepers are very persistent. Kept going towards Sultanahmet, where the main attractions are. Signage not so good so you need sone sense of direction here but it's a short walk to Hagia Sophia. We arrived there about noon and the line was fairly short, 10 mins or so. We enjoyed wandering around this amazing building. As prayer time was around 1 pm, we enjoyed a coffee and a rest in the park opposite before walking all of 50m to the Basilica Cisterns. Short line, 20 tl pp and we enjoyed visiting this interesting underground cistern, with the famous Medusa heads. Blue Mosque had a long line but it moved quickly. Free to enter and shawls provided. Beautiful tiled interior. I have pics but have not mastered posting them.

You will find helpful chaps at the Blue Mosque who will offer adviçe about dress and times etc. They are really touting for shops, carpets or leather. A polite 'no thank you' will usually suffice. Great port stop easily done DIY.

Edited by CruiseIreland

Thanks for this information. This is exactly what we were thinking of doing when we stop at Istanbul in November. Did you overnight there? If so, did you do anything in the evening?

Glad to help. No, unfortunately we had only 0800-1700 in port. If you are overnighting, have a look on the Tripadvisor Istanbul forum for advice on restaurants and shows. Ken

Thanks for the information. We are going to DIY as everything seems quite close together, although in our case not sure it will be "simples"!!!!

Yes, it really is simples :)

And the tram is absolutely the way to do it.

One minor point - it's a long cruise quay, capable of handling at least four large ships.

Which way you turn out of the port, and the name of the nearest tram-stop, will depend on how far along the quayside you are berthed - Tophane is one of three potential tram-stops.

So check the name of the stop when you board, it's a surprisingly long walk back to the ship if you get off at the wrong one, as we found out :o

JB :)

Thanks for the information. We are going to DIY as everything seems quite close together, although in our case not sure it will be "simples"!!!!

Ha! I said 'simples' but I was concerned when we got off the tram at Eminonu but almost immediately the Kabatas tram pulled in. It's not like a train station, no other platforms so hold tight.

• 1 month later...
Ha! I said 'simples' but I was concerned when we got off the tram at Eminonu but almost immediately the Kabatas tram pulled in. It's not like a train station, no other platforms so hold tight.

Your DIY info for the trams was perfect. As we queued for a couple of minutes to get our tokens I re-read your info( printed and took with me!) and so it was straight up to machine and had tokens in seconds. Thanks

Yes, Istanbul was amazing, but will have to go back as the only building we managed to get into was Blue Mosque. 2 days of excessive walking in Venice(thanks to getting continually lost!) had taken their toll on hubbys arthritis, so after 45 mins of queueing for Blue Mosque we realised he couldn't manage the even longer queues for the others on our list. That's the great thing about cruising though, we can go again and again as you cant see everything in just a few hours.